Class of 2021 National Merit Thread

@bctlfralp123 Art at Compass Prep is estimating Alabama’s cutoff to be two points below the previous cutoff. That far above last year’s number seems very safe. Also, yes, assuming your grades are good, you write something coherent for your essay, and all your paperwork is in order & on time, you will almost certainly make finalist. (Don’t forget to send your confirming score.)

Enjoy your senior year!

Hi all, our S21 is at 219 SI for WA, which is the predicted cutoff for NMSF for the state of WA according to CP website. Let’s say that this qualifies for NMSF, my question is what will the CB do for the “qualifying” SAT score needed if SAT testing is not available between now and the application deadline? Do you think they will change the SAT requirement for NMF application to TO? We signed up for an October SAT testing date in the hopes that this will be a date that likely won’t get canceled like the summer dates are getting canceled.

Good question. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I believe CB will accept SAT/ACT scores all the way until December, even though the application deadline is earlier. The best way to find out what they might be planning, if they haven’t already made an announcement, is to call them once you find out your son made the cutoff. They are super helpful and patient in dealing with questions.

Thanks for starting this thread. Hoping that come late August we can all start sharing results from the various states. Also hoping our state goes down a point so my student qualifies. Good luck everyone.

Are most of you waiting to start submitting applications until after the NMSF are announced? Not saying my S21 is ready to submit them now, but some of our applications are definitely dependent on whether or not he makes it. His SI is 219, which is 2 points lower than the previous year cutoff score for WA, but is at the “likely” cutoff score according to Art at C.P. Late August/September cannot come soon enough for me to stop worrying.

My son is. He has some of his stuff ready to go but would like to be able to add NMSF to his app. I want him to check with his gc anyway since he’s applying to some schools with rolling admissions and finalizing his EA/ED choice and I want to make sure he doesn’t screw that up!

His score is higher than last year’s cutoff so he’s just waiting for the official announcement.

Good luck to your son!

Is there an official date to when the cutoffs will be released?

They don’t actually release the cutoffs. They send a mailing with semifinalist notification to schools at the end of August approximately and then they send out a press release with the names of the semifinalists around the 2nd week of September. If you are lucky, your GC will let you know you are a semifinalist before the press release.

My D21 is waiting to submit. We should all know by mid-September! Best of luck to everyone!!

thank you!

Yes, D21 is waiting as well.

Hi - When they get around to announcing the semi-finalists, will there be a specific prompt for the finalist essay or is that already known? Can anyone share last year’s prompt and the word limit for the essay?

I don’t know the exact prompt but when my D19 applied for finalist, she reused her common app essay only, with a few tweaks here and there.

Thank you!

If anyone hears abt NMSF cutoff from their school or around, pls post it here :slight_smile: I know it’s around this month end or first week of September.

Does anyone know from previous years, what day of the week in August the College Board usually releases the NMSF list? I think I read in another forum/website that last year it was on 8/22. Anybody on this forum that had other kids in their family notified by their school as soon as it came in? Do you remember timing?

This past year, the bulk mailing to schools was done on 8/27. So, we have about a week and a half to go before schools start getting notified.

Please post as soon as you hear!

@sherimba03 Likewise! Has your son decided about the schools he will apply to? Is UF still in the running?

Anxiously waiting too