Class of 2021 RD Discussion

When I click on “View FInancial Aid” on Canelink, it says “Inquiry Access Denied”. Does this mean I didn’t qualify for any aid?

@indigo790 thanks for the kind words! Waitlist people are not consider for umiami need base aid nor scholarship, so I am not going to accept my waitlist

My daughter got an email last night saying she got a $14,000/ yr scholarship. She had not received anything saying that she got in RD so this was a double nice surprise, admission and a scholarship. She got in the Marine Bio program.
She is going to uni using the GI Bill so this works for us but she likes U of Delaware better even though I think the Marine Bio program is better at Miami.

My Son got Presidential Scholarship ($25K/yr). We missed submitting the CSS Profile for UM (he added the school in the last minute to his list and we forgot X( ). So, we did not get any other financial aid. Kind a sucks since even with the $25K it costs an additional $40K per year.

I also applied for Marine Bio…i called the college also this morning. No scholarship for me…very surprising…Lady on the phone told me to check the mail when received…but online says no scholarship…only some aid…was surprised at not receiving any scholarship…l thought my credentials are extremely good…but now I am doubting…moving on to VA and UNC results now.

They gave some aid…but.my cost is still like 45k

To those of you who have been accepted but will not attend, I beg of you to decline the offer as soon as possible. I really do not mean to come across as being hostile but I am dying to get off the waiting list. UMiami is my dream school and I am sure there are others like me who are dying to get in. Thanks xxx

Are Presidential scholarships a set amount or do they vary b/t schools. Looks like they may vary in amount, but not sure.

@beaglemom According to their website, Presidential Scholarships can be anywhere between $8,000 - $28,000 annually.

I know some kids who got Presidential scholarships of $29,000 tho

Is the amount (for the Presidential Scholarship) based on financial aid or how much of a top applicant you were? 8,000 to 28,000 is a huge range.

Accepted for rd. Where did you guys find the scholarship info? Is it in the decision letter?

@JuicyMango I assume it’s based on Merit because I received a 20k President’s Scholarship and an email about a possible financial aid package (they need more documents). I think scholarships are merit based and affect the amount of financial assistance awarded and not the other way around.
That’s just my take on it… I could be wrong

I too thought it is based on Merit…but no scholarship for me…may be everyone else is much better qualified than me…congrats all

@twffany On the Student Centre, I clicked View “Financial Aid” under the Finances Section then clicked 2018 and it showed me my scholarship breakdown.
I also received an email congratulating me on the scholarship with a Scholarship Agreement.

@nextgendiaspora Thanks. But since I didn’t apply for financial aid it just showed access denied…guess I just didn’t get any. Congrats!

@nextgendiaspora Do you think I can try to ask more from them then? Like show them some of my acceptances ans see how much more they are willing to give me. Just wondering

@JuicyMango I believe you are able to appeal the amount but I don’t actually know the process you’d need to do so. Your best bet would be to email or call the financial office at ofas@miami.edu or 305-284-6000 (option 2).
I also know (from last year’s UM thread) that persons who applied for financial aid could appeal those offers as well if they truly couldn’t afford it.
Disclaimer: These are merely my personal suggestions and in no way are hard and fast facts.
I hope everything works out for you!

@indigo790 We are in the same situation financially… my daughter was accepted to UM yesterday and with a scholarship, grants and other financial aid, but the # leftover is still not practical by any means. This happened 3 years ago as well. My older daughter got in to UM and USC, along with a few other colleges. Both UM and USC are very expensive private universities, and on paper, USC is even $3-4K more per year in terms of the total cost of attendance than UM.

But the initial cost of attendance is meaningless. After comparing FA packages, UM would have been 3 times as expensive to attend as USC - where she is a junior now. And that is an insane difference.

So it sort of begs the question… why even admit these kids with scholarships, grants and other aid if the final # leftover (the real price tag to attend) still makes no sense financially for that family? They might as well only admit the applicants not requesting FA. NYU is the same way.

Anyhow… here’s hoping that my younger daughter also gets in to USC on Saturday - as they will likely then also make it possible to attend financially. If not… she may be FSU bound - unless another admit prospect emerges next week.

To future applicants… you may want to perform college searches on the College Board website and limit your list to schools committed to meeting 100% of demonstrated financial need (like USC is)… or you can set the percentage # - like 80%. In the end, while every applicant has their dream school list, applicants ultimately should be getting admitted to schools that they can actually afford to attend.

UM is a great school, but it is also primarily evolving into a college for the wealthy (& especially international applicants) or for those on athletic scholarships. Hopefully they are making concessions for the very low income too. But in essence… they have just priced themselves out of the market for middle income Americans. At least that has been our experience - twice now.

Good Luck…

I totally forgot to email umiami telling them that I was accepted ed to another school cause I was deferred ea. I just got in with the presidents scholarship. I will decline quickly so people on the waitlist can get my spot!!