Class of 2022 National Merit Discussion - Scores Release

I had assumed it would either be this or they would allow the same percentage of finalists but still award only 7,500 scholarships. It doesn’t cost NMC meaningful $$$$ until this point.

Schools that award SF and F would be impacted, and would likely need to make adjustments, but that doesn’t impact NMC. It shouldn’t matter to them what others do with the awards they make, but I suppose it’s possible they wanted to adjust to be sure these schools continue to ascribe importance to NM status.

3 Likes

Art has nothing posted and the Reddit source seems to be

i have a friend that goes to uva and her professor has connections with nmsc, so i got some inside knowledge bro

so no, I wouldn’t bet the farm on it.

LOL, that’s what I was thinking. Just waiting until the 15th, I guess.

This is from NMSC material that came with the application

Hard to tell if they mean 16,000 overall or based on the PSAT only. We may need to wait till the middle of Sept to see how many NMSF there currently are. To make things even more confusing AE don’t have to submit their SAT scores till the middle of October.

Sounds like NMSC might have called a last minute audible.

From the wording, it appears they used AE when determining the cutoffs. This makes me quite worried, because a school such as Stuyvesant most likely would have many high SAT scorers, and given more attempts they could have 200 or 300+ NMSFs this year, which would increase the cutoff.

2 Likes

Isn’t the June 2021 SAT the last accepted test date? I would hope Alternate Entrants don’t wait to submit until October.

I was looking at the states with the 5 most NMSFs (California, Texas, New York, Florida, and Pennsylvania) and saw something interesting.
Assuming Art’s numbers are the current cutoffs,
California and Texas both dropped 1 from Class of 2020 and 2019 while Florida and Pennsylvania dropped 2 from Class of 2020 and 2019.

This leads me to believe that NY will likely be 219 or 220 (dropping either 2 or 1 from the Class of 2019 and 2020), and I’m leaning more towards 220 because AE was apparently factored in the cutoffs.

Yes, it’s June 2021 and they have till October 15 to submit the scores. I would think most of them already submitted it.

1 Like

Wow! They could be taking spots away from other NY students near the cutoff who would have made it based on only PSAT scores.

What I find a bit surprising is that Art’s page doesn’t even have an entry for NY yet. Would that be the case if the cutoffs were low and people thought their score was worth sharing with Art?

It arrived I am a CMS student as well counselor told us privately

1 Like

I was wondering that too, but I think that might be because New York schools have a later start date compared to Texas and California. Texas and California start in August, so they’ll probably notify students when they go to school. New York starts in September, so kids will generally know then when they go to school.

I fully agree. There are a few school districts and private schools that have already started, but many are still on summer break. Yet, I would expect some data by now.

1 Like

AYYEEE fellow CMS kiddo!! I asked my principal and she said they are waiting to hear something. I’m worried that means my 220 didn’t make it. Also, Congrats!

Thanks and no need to worry because I had an exact 220 and made it plus I think people lower than 220 made it as well

Omg thank you so much! :sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

Hi! Do you know if there is any intel on Arizona?

1 Like

No, I’m not aware of any info on Arizona.

1 Like

Hi guys.

Can anyone else confirm/deny the 220 for CA? Only one parent has informed Art about this, so it seems a bit weird. At the same time nobody except one person confirmed the 220 cutoff. Does anyone here have some valuable info or insight to add?