Class of 2022 National Merit Discussion - Scores Release

That is not how I interpret it, based on the website. You will not be disqualified if you change schools before May 1st. Do not see any advantage to stay undecided.
However that is my opinion and how I will play it. I highly respect your opinion

USC does not require one to list them as first choice until May 31. If a student is NMF and is admitted, they will automatically receive the half-tuition scholarship if they designate USC as their 1st choice before May 31.

Considering the fact that USC admits students in Feb and March, and May 1 is the deadline to SIR, you have plenty of time to make a decision and change your designation from undecided to USC before May 31.

1 Like

Again, you could play anyway you would like.
USC will be notified March 1 that it is the first choice. If she is accepted in March (she was not accepted in February), and not accepted in the Ivys, or Berkeley GMP, she will go there. If she is not accepted in any of the above, but accepted in Northeastern or the University of Chicago (small amount however), we will change the designation in April. She will still be able to receive the scholarship.
USC requiring it only by May 31, does not mean that it will not influence the intend to attend signal that the March 1st notification as first choice could potentially have.
Just me

So if a student: (1) is NMF, (2) has applied to USC and BU and (3) has not received decisions from those schools by March 1, then looks as if right course based on the BU website language below is to designate BU as 1st choice before March 1 so can be in running for the BU Presidential Scholarship and if later accepted to USC and prefers USC, change the 1st choice designation before May 31. Does that seem right? Thanks!

High school seniors who have been chosen as National Merit finalists, and are offered admission to Boston University, will be considered for a four-year, $25,000 tuition BU Presidential Scholarship.

To be eligible:

** Submit your application for admission and all supporting credentials by January 4.*
** Designate BU as your first-choice college with the National Merit Scholarship Corporation before March 1.*

1 Like

It does to me. We did not apply to BU

If BU awards the student their NM scholarship, I don’t believe you can turn it down and then be eligible for USC’s scholarship (if admitted). I could be wrong but double check with NMSC and each school.

There is no game for me to play. I have a child who is a NMS at USC so I am here to help others through the process.

1 Like

Last year’s thread also indicates you risk losing the USC scholarship if you first list BU, get their award, then change your mind:

“The Insider: Your Expert Guide to College Admissions – 25 Feb 16

So You’re a National Merit Finalist – Now What? | Part 1 | College Coach Blog 4

You’re a National Merit Finalist! Congrats! Now what does this mean from a financial perspective?
It’s very clear in one of the paragraphs :

Remember, if you report a college as first choice, you can always change your mind. However, be careful not to miss NMSC’s deadline for reporting this change. Technically you have until May 31 to change your first choice. However if a college offers you an award and NMSC goes out with an announcement of that award on May 1, then you are no longer able to transfer the college sponsorship, and you will be ineligible at the new institution. Therefore to be safe, make sure you report your new first choice to NMSC by April 30 at the latest. This makes sense, since you’ll be deciding where to enroll by then anyway!“

2 Likes

I might be wrong, but if I understand the last message from the thread is that the key is when the announcement is made, and this is May 1st.

2 Likes

April 30, right

Best of luck to your child

Well, I guess I am not the only one who is confused. Not sure why they make this process so convoluted. The BU info is interesting as that is one of her applied schools. I guess we have to go through all the schools and see what they offer. Is there a listing somewhere?

2 Likes

Yes, see pages 3 & 4 for the college sponsors list.

1 Like

Congratulations on your child. You must be very proud.
We are trying to be realistic. Not playing games
Even with an unweighted 3.97, 8 APs and 1510 SAT Debate, and Business clubs leadership no school can be counted on.
Thank you for being a forum champion and your help and counsel is appreciated

Meant for IKG4

Yes, the list is good, but it does not tell you the amount. It ranges from 2,000 to full tuition depending on the school
There is another list with the amounts

Hurray! We got ours yesterday too!

4 Likes

Yay! Such a relief!

Thanks for sharing an opinion. I do appreciate that. I didn’t appreciate the initial response as it came across as just a snub.

My daughter only knew because she asked her counselor. But, her letter literally just arrived. Maybe yours will come if mail hasn’t been delivered today!

2 Likes

Son got his today - no more worrying about that at least. :slight_smile:

Now he’s just got to decide which school he wants to attend

7 Likes