Class of 2022 Nursing Admissions

Also a lurker, but my college application process is done so I thought I’d share:

Accepted:
Baylor - pre-nursing, 15k merit/year
Case Western - direct admit, 10k merit/ year
Pitt- Deferred then accepted, direct admit

Waiting:
Northeastern
Boston College
University of Washington

Rejected:
None

Non Nursing Majors:

Accepted:
UIUC, Biology
U Oregon, Biology
Cal Poly Pomona, Biology

Waiting:
UC (Riverside, Merced, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, Irvine, Davis)

I will probably end up retracting all the other applications as I’m likely to go to Case :slight_smile:
GL to all.

Congrats on CWRU acceptance @WantsToGoToCase We didn’t consider it but have read it’s a good program with a key difference of clinicals starting first year.

Accepted:
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Grand Canyon University
Cal State University San Bernardino

Waiting:
San Diego State University
Texas Christian University
Arizona State University

Need guidance with my decision.

The top schools on my list that I was accepted to:

Temple University - Nursing
University of Delaware - Nursing
Penn State - Undecided

Not sure what course to take. If i would pursue a degree at PSU it would push me towards a physician assistant grad school.

@NursingMan Congrats on your acceptances. I can only tell you I’ve heard Delaware is a very competitive direct entry program. I know nothing of the costs of these schools, if you’ve been awarded merit, or your financial situation. But that’s the one I’d consider from your list if you want to pursue nursing.

Yes, UDel’s nursing program has a great reputation and is extremely competitive for admission. However, it is also rather expensive out of state. Temple U.'s nursing building is in a part of N. Phila that is still scary.

@Banker1 @Charliesch Thank you both for your thoughts. Delaware is almost the same price as Penn State due to financial aid. What are your thoughts on Delaware starting clinicals senior year vs Temple starting freshman year?

I can’t imagine any student would be allowed to do true clinicals as a freshman. You don’t have enough background to be allowed to do anything.

Keep in mind that with a BSN degree you can earn a decent living, and have the option of later going for a NP or other certifications. With a bio bachelors, you really need to go right to grad school to work in heaith care, with more total years of education and much more debt.

DD accepted to:

Bloomsburg - Direct Admit
West Chester - Direct Admit
Duquesne - Direct Admit
Penn State University Park - Direct Admit
Pitt - Direct Admit
IUP - Direct Admit

Attending Penn State!

@Charliesch Some of the colleges we are visiting are adding a class with “clinical experience” before true clinicals start. We were told that this class is equivalent to the CNA certification and the reason they are doing it is for the students to be able to work in hospitals without having to spend extra time (and money) taking the CNA class. The schools that I know offer this class sophomore year, before true clinicals begin. Not sure if Temple U has something on that lines so they start “clinical experience” earlier.

Many employers treat a nursing student after their second or third year as having the equivalent of a CNA. My daughter worked a summer and a few hours a month during the school year in a hospital, as a “Nursing Assistant” without a CNA certification. She said she learned a great deal from that work, particularly because she asks lots of questions. Many hospitals also use summer jobs as a recruiting tool.

@WantsToGoToCase When did you hear from Pitt (after deferral)? Pitt requested my D’s mid year grades, which we submitted in late Jan.

Accepted to Penn State UP, Rutgers NB (flagship for us), and University of Florida (pre-nursing).

Hey MD, I received a request in my mail on January 27th asking for my mid year and I sent them out the same day. I received my acceptance e-mail on February 7th, so about 11 days.
Best of luck to your daughter.

was accepted into Ohio State University tonight

gpa: 4.26, sat: 1500

also accepted into Umich AA, Penn State, USF, and Case western

My daughter was accepted EA to Case Western and Boston College.

GPA: 4.66
SAT: 1450

Deferred to RD at Georgetown and Northeastern.

Applied RD to UNC-Chapel Hill, UPenn, and Emory.

CWRU and BC both gave her good, and very similar, financial packages. For some reason BC gave her nursing loans while CW gave unsubsidized Stafford, but besides that within a couple hundred dollars of each other.

She really likes both of these schools for different reasons. Case for the significant clinical experience, and some of the things she’s heard about University Circle. She’s a very practical person and it sounds like the fit would be good. She really likes the Study Abroad opportunities at BC, and a bit more liberal arts experience. Plus Boston.

She’s studying abroad this year, so she won’t be able to visit. Any thoughts on the relative strengths/weaknesses of these two schools?

Keep in mind that with the unsubsidized loan, I believe she would be responsible for the interest while in school. Verify that nursing students have the time to travel abroad and not risk missing the order of classes. Do both start clinical training during the same year of study? I lean more toward BC and the Jesuit philosophy and mission.

When I looked at Boston College for my son many years ago, the college was very restrictive in granting AP credit. You might wish to check that out, if it is a factor.

I believe a federal nursing loan is very similar to a stafford loan, but you should double check to make sure it is not a problem.

Yes, there are two types of Staffords - subsidized and unsubsidized. Last time I checked, the interest rates were similar. The difference is that the interest keeps accrueing while you are in college for the unsubsidized. You can usually merge that interest into the loan payments, so you don’t have to pay while in college. A few months after graduation, my daughter was offered an option of paying the interest that accrued when she was in college, and she did, so she was not paying interest on interest.

I would guess the best time to study abroad would be second or third semester - before the real nursing classes and clinicals start at most colleges.

We’re from NY and applied to direct admit programs both on east coast and pacific northwest, here goes:
SAT: 1170
ACT: 25
GPA (unweighted): 3.1
Acceptances: Quinnipiac and Moravian
Wait List: UVM and Pacific Lutheran
Rejection: SUNY Plattsburgh and Seattle Pacific
Still waiting to hear: Seattle University
Looks like it will probably come down to a decision between Quinnipiac and Moravian. Would love people’s thoughts on which is a better program.

I don’t know much about Moravian’s program, but it is a pleasant place to go to college. Moravian is tied into the St. Luke’s health system, which has two large hospital complexes within 10 miles of the Moravian campus. If you have visited, you have seen the large new health sciences building that Moravian just completed.

Got into UWash Seattle today