Class of 2023 National Merit discussion

quite the production. Things must be moving along there.

UCF will schedule you for a motel room but stop short of paying for it. In 2017 they absorbed the cost. Not a deal breaker but it does speak volumes. Pre 2017 UCF was a Full COA. Then it became Benacquisto. Now its…waiting

FSUDad

What is the UCF NMSF event like on Nov 18 from your experience? We are going, but it would be nice to hear a perspective, including dress code. Thanks

1 Like

I sent my D2017 and S2017 alone. He said it was a nice banquet and then they broke into groups of different majors. He said he remembers that they dressed “nice”. I remember how impressed they were with the University.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I was assuming parents since we have to drive there, but now I’ll know to check on that. Yes, UCF was a pleasant surprise the first time we visited.

It was for sure a family thing, though. :grinning:

1 Like

Reached out to USF, they emailed back – their OOS National Merit Scholarship information will be updated by the end of this month.

2 Likes

I just came on here to share this scholarship because DD received an email about it this week. It’s an amazing offer. We visited TU for older 2 DSs and the campus is beautiful. DD definitely plans to apply to TU by the Nov. 1 EA deadline.

3 Likes

Terrific. Let me now if you have any questions and let me know how the visit goes and what we can do to improve it. We are always looking for ways to show off the campus and our programs.

Brad Carson
President, Univ. of Tulsa

8 Likes

Seems like they are running out of days for this.

Can someone clear up the confusion that the UF website says the application is due 11/1, the Common app says it’s due 11/7 (or 3/1 for “space available”). And would rather not apply if there’s not going to be an OOS major scholarship opportunity.

UF changed the date from 11/1 to 11/7 due to Hurricane Ian.

1 Like

Agreed. I think USF misses out on quite a few NMFs due to being so late with everything each year. No acceptances out yet. Even their NMF tours don’t start until the end of January. My kids are already finalizing decisions. They’re not really into dragging out the process.

3 Likes

New month, still no update from USF. My son has finalized his applications and is happy with where he’s applied, so I think USF is out for him. We have visits booked to Tulsa and UCF, likely UT-Dallas too once they release their NMF dates.

3 Likes

My daughter got a mailer saying she would get full ride and *K per year stipend from Tulsa.

5 Likes

UF never has an OOS merit scholarship opportunity. They had the State sponsored Benacquisto Scholarship in the past until it went instate only, again. USF and UCF have traditionally been the big merit opportunities in the past.

UCF NM Scholarship officially the same as last year: OOS tuition waiver plus $20k a year, which nets out to covering tuition, room, and board with a little left over. Also still only available to 40 OOS students.

3 Likes

U of So. Miss. NMF package
4 years of full tuition, on campus housing, a meal plan and $1,000 per year plus $4000 study abroad.

4 Likes

USF OOS National Merit scholarship finally updated: Full COA for (I assume) four years, plus tuition waiver for the first year of grad school.

6 Likes

Carleton throwing some shade on colleges offering large NMF scholarships. From their Tips for National Merit Scholars page:

Tip #9: Pick a school where you will be comfortable, challenged and have peers who understand your goals.

As you have probably experienced, many schools will be encouraging you to enroll. Think through your options and don’t let yourself be bought by the highest bidder.

1 Like

Never heard of Carleton, lol.