Class of 2023 National Merit discussion

No in the end she ended up staying in state (California) - she did get some merit but not like the big NMF schools. With the COVID shutdowns it was the right choice for her (picking someplace sight unseen out of state wasn’t her speed.) She’s happy where she landed so it’s all good.

1 Like

Hi all! I’m new to this site. Like some have mentioned, I also wasn’t aware of the NMSF process. I had heard of it, but didn’t think my son would qualify (he wouldn’t even prep for the test). One day he came home and said someone at school had congratulated him on his PSAT score! Then I started Googling. According to Art’s chart, he will qualify, so I’m really hoping that cut score prediction is accurate. We have several colleges near us that offer substantial scholarships, and this would help us out a lot. I thought I would post here so I can follow what everyone else is doing just in case he does end up a semifinalist in September. One thing I’ve seen mentioned a lot in my Googling is the “common app”. What is this and is it something he needs to be doing now or can it wait until next year? Thanks!

Welcome, “common app” is short for the common application. Currently 900 schools accept the common app, some require an additional supplement. This makes it very easy to apply to a lot of schools which is part of the reason you will hear about kids applying to 20 plus schools, generally not a great idea. Common app goes live Aug 1, so no reason to work on it now. He can look up the essay prompts at the end of the school year since they rarely change (and I think there is always a write about what you want). I think the essay has a 650 word limit and it can reduce stress to have it done summer before senior year.

1 Like

Just stick with us through the process. My son was a NM Scholar in 2017. My D 2023 scored a 1510 PSAT so we are just waiting for the fall to do it a second time. Last time around, I got together with other like minded parents here and we all shared information. WE got through the process together. It was quite helpful. I’ve kept track of where all the best scholarships are, for about six years now. They do change year to year, somewhat, so updated information is always helpful. Good luck yo your son.

2 Likes

Thank you both! One more question. I think his sophomore ACT will be ok for a confirming score, but is that allowed? Does it have to be a test taken after the PSAT? Also, the only chart. I could find online for converting ACT scores was from 2018. Is that the most current? Thanks again!

Is your daughter grade accelerated? My son turned 16 a month before the PSAT, but was a junior because he skipped 2nd grade. There were a few years where I questioned that decision, but now that he’s in HS, I think it was definitely the right choice.

@SWMOMOM

Here are the requirements for the Class of 2022 NMSC. Since your son is Class of 2023, you could add one year to the dates stated.

According to this, your son would have to submit a confirming SAT or ACT taken no earlier than August 2020 and no later than December 2022 (see page 2).

You may also want to call them directly and confirm this info since there is a lot of $$ at stake. Good luck! :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

No, her birthday is in June. She seems to go through the school year one year younger than most. Years ago, I was asked if I had “thought about acceleration” but I remember thinking she’d already be younger than most college freshmen when the time comes. I decided she didn’t really need it (for motivational challenges). The mental picture of seeing her as a 16 year old girl in a college dorm scared the hell out of me. Her mind is certainly advanced but everything else is a content 16 year old girl. I gave her the LSAT in November at home, timed and under testing conditions with zero preparations. I told her I was just “curious” so she agreed to take it with no idea what was on it. She came out and said it was “fun”. She scored a 168. I asked her “do you know how good that is?” She was like “whatever Dad”. She does currently, because of that test, plan on going to Law School after College.

5 Likes

So we just got a mailer from OU congratulating DS on his PSAT score and outlining what their NMF scholarship includes. Is this a good sign that he will be a NMSF or do they send this to everyone in a certain score range?

Its an indication of a high score. (range wise) Universities love to send literature to the high scoring students. This in turn helps to get more applications. They want higher numbers of applications and then, knowing they only accept a certain number of students, they lower their acceptance rates for rankings. It has the added bonus of taking in many dollars of application fees. Its quite deceitful knowing that these schools do not need to send out any literature. This week my daughter received literature from OU, Duke, Yale, Northwestern, John Hopkins, Brown etc. etc. Of course, none have any interest. They accept only from the application process.

The qualifying score needs to be earned between the beginning of Sophomore year and December of Senior year. The 2018 score concordance is still the current one in use.

1 Like

University Texas at Arlington: Full Cost of Attendance for NMF.
$130,000 FULL RIDE PLUS

As a National Merit recipient, you will receive world-class support to help define your future. This financial award of $32,500 per year fully covers tuition and fees, on-campus housing, and includes a stipend for books, supplies, and other educational expenses for fall and spring semesters. Out-of-state students will also receive a non-resident tuition waiver, a $66,000 value, bringing their total value of their National Merit Finalist Scholarship to $196,000. National Merit - Admissions - The University of Texas at Arlington

4 Likes

USF Tampa NMF Scholarship: Full Cost Of Attendance for Out of State

4 Likes

Texas Tech: Full Ride

National Merit Semifinalist

Students named as semifinalist are encouraged to follow the directions set by the National Merit Corporation to apply for finalist standing. Additionally, we encourage you to make contact with Texas Tech University to begin a dialogue of your options as a student including your academic and extracurricular aspirations. We hope you’ll plan to visit campus as soon as possible. To schedule your visit, please contact April Hollingsworth.

Requirements and Instructions for Semifinalists

National Merit Finalist

Students that reach finalist standing will be notified in February by the National Merit Corporation. Qualifying students who designate Texas Tech University as their first choice institution are eligible to receive our National Merit Finalist Scholarship which guarantees 100% of the approved cost of attendance. Below is a breakdown of the scholarship amounts.

TUITION & FEES $11,852 (30 credit hours)
HOUSING $6,694
MEALS $3,652
BOOKS & SUPPLIES $1,200
TRANSPORTATION $2,384
MISCELLANEOUS $2,000
ANNUAL TOTAL $27,782

The National Merit Scholarship is funded by a combination of federal, state and institutional gift aid funds from grants and scholarships. Loans are not included in the National Merit Scholarship.

Qualifying students should make their designation no later than May 31, 2021 to the National Merit Corporation to maximize eligibility.

Non-resident Students

National Merit Finalists who select Texas Tech University and are not residents of the State of Texas, qualify for Texas Tech’s National Merit Scholars Program

4 Likes

U Texas at Dallas
National Merit Scholars at UT Dallas receive:

• Complete coverage of UT Dallas tuition and mandatory fees for up to eight semesters1
  • $4,000 per semester cash stipend to defray the costs of books, supplies and other expenses
  • $1,500 per semester on-campus housing stipend2
  • One-time study abroad stipend up to $6,000 to support an international education experience
  • Admission into Collegium V Honor
4 Likes

Hi,

I believe I belong here. My PSAT back in October was a 1500 with an index of 226, which I’m told means I’ll be a semifinalist in NY.

2 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

Nice! I believe you are at least 4 points above safe in NY.

Commended Student cutoff is 207.

3 Likes

Does the cutoff mean you make it at that number or you have to score above that number? My DS is right at the projected cutoff for NMSF in our state, so I’m nervous. However this news of a lower commended cutoff is encouraging (I think).

1 Like