Class of 2023 National Merit discussion

not yet, hoping by 10 :crossed_fingers:

DD got called down to the office this morningā€¦. She won candy in a drawing. The wait continues.

I just checked my daughterā€™s portal and I see the words Finalist Letter but then that same error message that people were seeing yesterday.

1 Like

Same here

Got the error 30 minutes ago, but now seeing the link to the NMF letter.

1 Like

We are official! :partying_face:

5 Likes

Which website? I checked in osa.national merit.org

1 Like

Finalist letters are posted in the portal.

My son has a finalist letter, but it says that he hasnā€™t chosen a first choice university. I was surprised to read this because THEY sent me an email about 3 weeks ago notifying me that he had changed from undecided to his chosen university. Anyone else have a similar discrepancy?

I have a stupid question re National Merit Scholars: Why it it based on the studentā€™s PSAT rather than SAT? Is it a timing issue? I would think that the SAT score would be more relevant.

It should be working now! I just tried it and itā€™s there for my son.

2 Likes

Principal called to tell us my girl is a Finalist. She was probably smartā€¦never gave me access to any portals. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

I could be totally wrong here, but I think it might have something to do with the fact that you can keep taking the ACT or SAT over and over to increase your score. The PSAT is one and done and costs less than $20.

2 Likes

I logged in few minutes back and the update is there on the portal

good point - you really canā€™t tutor and test prep your way through the PSAT

2 Likes

question : My son has decided to go to a college which is not offering the award, what should I mention in the college name, should I list that college which is not offering the aware or it does not matter

Because the PSAT is given to all Juniors in October on the same day and is in theory based on where they should be at that time. I believe the 10 grade PSAT is backed up also. The SAT is what they should have covered at a later date.

2 Likes

really? With first son, we had no idea so no prep. But for youngest, I had him do khan academy to prep and it worked for him.:woman_shrugging:

1 Like

:+1::grin: :woman_student:

1 Like

No; have not seen that discrepancy. Once you log in to the portal , under ā€œRecord Maintenanceā€ click on ā€œUpdate College Choiceā€. You should find your current college choice listed there.