Class of 2023 National Merit discussion

My NMF, CS-pursuing son is currently deciding between Maine and Tulsa. Toured Maine a few weeks ago, loved it. Toured Tulsa yesterday, loved it. This is going to be a tough decision, but I will be thrilled with either, tbh. It is SO NICE to not have to worry about the money. My other son (also CS) is leaning toward Michigan Tech but still considering MSOE. Either would be great for him and they have given decent aid, so just praying for some clarity in decision-making.

5 Likes

Wow, Maine, and Tulsa could not be more different from each other climatologically, geographically, culturally
 in pretty much every way! (I grew up near Tulsa and live in Central Massachusetts now, so I think I can say that with authority. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) But, they both seem like great options!

4 Likes

Right? My kids have been driving me batty with their “I don’t really care what part of the country I go to college in” tack. They are both different for sure - one is bigger (but still not big) in a small town, one is small in a big town, one is a more typical public school, one is private and a bit posh. I was surprised that UTulsa is so much more racially diverse than UMaine. My kid is a competitive rock climber and it seems like Maine is more outdoorsy and has a small climbing gym on campus, but I also pointed out to him that with all the extra cash Tulsa gives, he could Uber to the local Tulsa climbing gym whenever he wants. :laughing: Hopefully he will find his groove no matter where he ends up!

2 Likes

I also grew up near Tulsa. My mom was born and raised in Massachusetts, but when she married and Okie and relocated, she had a bit of a shock. However, she ended up loving Oklahoma. The cost of living is considerably cheaper too!

2 Likes

Are there any T30 schools that give NM scholarships? This process is confusing and I see that my daughter has to put a school down by March 1. Most of her remaining decisions are being released at the end of March.

@lkg4answers The big question is, does a student need to accept a scholarship for it to be posted to OSA dashboard or does NMSC receive notification from the college as soon as the scholarship is offered?

So does anyone know the answer?

1 Like

Please read each school’s website. For many schools, she can remain undecided until after admission decisions are announced.

Looking at USNWR top 30:
Vanderbilt (#13) has a NM scholarship
Emory (#22) has a NM scholarship
USC (#25) offers a NM scholarship
University of Florida (#29) offers a NM scholarship for in state only

1 Like

I wonder about the opposite, as well, does being NM actually decrease the student’s odds of admission? I’ve thought this because maybe USC would admit the student if they didn’t have to offer them money—so, if they knew they’d be full pay, they’d be admitted? :tipping_hand_woman:t2:

2 Likes

UF is only for in state students and is automatic.

1 Like

Thanks! I will update my post.

2 Likes

I wonder too. My NMF daughter applied this year and is waiting to hear in March. I remember seeing a recent USC “scorecard” and it looked like they had 150 NMF students in last year’s freshman class (or the year before?). The question is how many NMF’s competed for those slots. The benefit is 1/2 tuition.

3 Likes

The USC 2022-23 first year student profile shows 405 Presidential (half-tuition) scholarships. The scholarship grid shows that they expect to award 200 Presidential scholarships. One could approximate that the difference between the two are NMF.

1 Like

I don’t think there is any school outside of the Florida, Alabama, Maine schools that offer as sweet a deal for NMSF’s as USC does if they are accepted into USC. I can see that getting into USC is not easy but if a NMSF gets in they pretty much cover 50% of tuition - yes, it is no a full ride and lower than other schools but a great option for us - my S24 cannot see himself at a school in FL or any of the southern states. I am trying to get him to see outside the big media perspectives, having a hard time with that !

1 Like

For USC, last few years that National Merit has posted numbers for:

2020: 316 (2nd-most NM Scholars)
2019: 265 (2nd)
2018: 276 (1st)
2017: 257 (3rd)
2016: 230 (4th)

1 Like

USC could turn down 50% of NMF applicants and still retain that many from the greater surrounding area population. Their 1/2 tuition stacks with need so based on their student stats, I would think that it makes a good option for many local admitted NMF.

4 Likes

Fordham is another. It is just full tuition (not full ride) and not all get it (only ~70%) but if you do it’s a good deal for NMSFs (and National Hispanic, African American and Native American Recognition Program Scholars.) Fordham is in NYC with its main campus in the Bronx and a smaller campus next to Lincoln Center in Manhattan. Special strengths include Business/Finance (Gabelli School), Theology, History, Social Work, Poly Sci, Classics, Dance, and Theater. My kid is a Theater major at the Lincoln Center campus on this scholarship, and is thriving.

4 Likes

The University of Tulsa probably has the best package out there. They pay for everything, room, board, books, etc. and grant $6,000 cash each year to the student; and I think another $750 somehow from National Merit. My daughter is a National Merit Finalist and is out there right now with my wife checking out the campus. She is considering Tulsa and Alabama for scholarships (and a couple of others we haven’t heard back from yet) and waiting to hear back from ivies, Stanford, Duke, etc. RD, but it would be full pay if she gets in and we decide to send her.

3 Likes

We didn’t apply to those elite schools. We were afraid she would get in. Lol Our D2023 will be attending UA, the one in the south. :grinning:

1 Like

Agreed! They weren’t yet offering it when my S22 was applying, but it is an amazing package!

2 Likes

I’m actually kind of afraid of the same! Originally she wanted to do business; now she wants to do business and then law school. Now that she is looking at it that way, I am leaning toward the merit scholarship undergrad and then law school out of pocket. She also toured Alabama and really liked everything about the University, so we’ll see.

1 Like