Class of 2023 National Merit discussion

I don’t remember what the Texas range and cutoff was. I just knew we were above the range but I wish I remembered what it was just for my own curiosity. Anyone know if Texas changed?

This is my “annual” post on NMSC threads - so pass on by if you you have seen it before.

I was very excited for both of my twin sons when they scored well on the PSAT. The eventually made NMF. As a relative newbie, I thought “great, now they will have their choice of selective schools to pick from and tuition will be covered!”

Here is the reality I had to face - NMSC is a scholarship tool, not an admittance tool. There are several good threads that will have lists of schools that will offer big $$$ for NMF to attend. My cynical view is these schools are buying academic talent. That said, all of these programs offer great value and depending on your student’s interests, it is an awesome way to get a free or relatively low cost education.

The most selective school that participates in NMSC is USC. I think that is accurate. If you get accepted, you will likely get a scholarship for 50% tuition. The remaining $30k or so is on you or you need to qualify for need based aid. Most selective schools do not participate in the NMSC program. They do not need it to attract top academic talent.

So, if you think NMF is the “golden ticket” to a top tier research university, I would temper your expectations. Work with your student on a budget, identify schools they might want to attend, use their Net Price Calculator to see if they are in budget and do your best to go on a visit. The virtual tours really don’t do a school justice. If you can swing it, go to campus and see what it’s like.

Annual soapbox speech complete.

5 Likes

If you are a NM Finalist and are accepted to USC and you list them as your first choice before May 31, you are guaranteed the half-tuition Presidential scholarship.

Make sure you student submits their USC application before Dec 1 so that they are in the running for the full-tuition Trustee scholarship.

I figured I didn’t need all that detail for my post. Thanks for the additional information.

Mine will be NMSFs and we are completely fine with what others would deem as lower ranked or not selective universities for full rides. These schools go out of their way to impress NMFs to attend and the opportunities we’ve seen available for that cohort are impressive and will more than make up for the school name imo.

9 Likes

Of course these schools are buying academic talent. The Ivy’s don’t buy academic talent. They buy athletic talent and music talent and lesser talented students of the affluent members of society.
Then they buy “holistic” students. (Their definition of holistic and mine are totally different.)
NMF is an award and acknowledgement for being one of the smartest kids in the USA. There are plenty of academic scholars who want to attend these schools for prestige. I call this supply and demand.

I personally, do not value those schools like I did 40 years ago. I believe todays students should attend a University that they can afford. The number one problem for todays youth is college debt.
I understand those who can afford and wish for their kids to go to the highest ranked schools in the country. My sister is wealthy enough to write a check to any institution her children can get into. Cost is no concern.
But for most Americans, getting our children into a good school, one that we can afford is the ideal.
I have four wicked smart children. All are capable of attending the most prestigious schools in the country. My wife and I are both working class Americans. If we were unemployed below the poverty line, we could apply to dozens of Universities for free. These top Universities would then pay 100% of the costs.
As it is, applying to every top University for 4 children would cost me a small fortune. Then, the school that they accepted would pay 85% or so and the school would then leave us in debt.
Fortunately, there are still schools that value intelligent hardworking kids. Those schools are willing to give an academic scholarship to the brightest scholars as they would offer a scholarship to the athletically talented. Shouldn’t academic pursuits still be valued?

My eldest gal is graduating in December from the State flagship with zero debt. Her merit and her summer employment payed 100%. She is a Computer Engineering student and is interning this summer with a prestigious tech company. Yesterday she interviewed with Micron Technology for a career position. Her future looks bright.

My second eldest and son was a NM scholar. My eldest gal was not because we didn’t know anything about the program. He accepted a Full Cost Of Attendance to UF, (CE).
He is in his fifth year and also has a terrific internship this summer. He has zero debt, an IRA and a brokerage account. His future looks bright.

My third child and second daughter is off the charts academically. She should graduate #1 in her class with a 4.0/4.8 and a 36 ACT. She takes the SAT for the first time in June and expects a 1600 or so. She will be a NMF class of 2023. She has no plans to apply to the Ivy’s. Her top choices are the Merit Scholarships at UA and UCF. She may apply to 4 schools that offer a 100% merit Cost of Attendance. (Maryland, UVA, UNC, DUKE) At this point, Alabama and all it has to offer is just too good to turn down. She intends to apply to the IVY’s for Law School someday where they value academics and are willing to offer scholarships for it.

My fourth is a HS freshman and is already scoring high enough for NMF. He intends to follow his sisters route. All four are achieving their scholarships and then handling college financially on their own.

As a family, we are grateful for those schools that still value academics and offer scholarships for Merit. Should college scholarships only go to athletes?

Prestige in my opinion:
“So your kid got into Brown?” That means very little to me.
“So your kid has a 34 ACT and a 4.0?” “Wow, that is impressive! Smart kid! Good parenting!”
“So your kid is a NMF Scholar? Wow! You must be so proud! Nice!”
“So your kid just graduated from the local JC and the State Flagship on merit with no debt?” “Nice, very very nice! That’s what it’s all about!”
“So your kid that just graduated 50th in the class with a 28 ACT and a 3.25 GPA just got accepted to Harvard on 100% need?” “Good for him, don’t hate the player, hate the game!”

7 Likes

Aiming for NMF was our “college savings plan” all along. Our backup plan was qualifying for good merit based on scores and GPA. We never had aspirations that the PSAT or NMF would give us anything at a “higher ranked” school. Like FSUdad93 I was not as aware of NMF with my oldest. He did qualify for full tuition+ at his school. He graduated last weekend from Ole Miss and already had a career position waiting for him that will not only pay him well but will serve his career path well.

Throughout the process with my oldest I discovered the benefits of NMF. Too late for him. My DD23 has always been a better tester and is more driven academically. I knew NMF wasn’t outside the realm of possibility for her. I mentioned the possibility to her and off she went. It was important to her (and us) to graduate debt free and she could see that this would be her golden ticket. She had already toured Alabama with my oldest and knew she liked it. She can accomplish so much at Alabama with what they offer - her undergrad and masters will be done. She will start out with no debt. She couldn’t do all of that at a “higher” ranked school. She will have the Bama network and students from Bama get good internships and co-ops. A cursory search on LinkedIn of Bama grads assures me that their graduates do just fine. We will happily settle for that. Roll Tide!

5 Likes

Totally agree with the sentiment that in today’s environment, get a degree with as little debt as possible. My post was more of a reflection on the mental journey I went through 5 years ago while working with my DSs as they tried to figure out where they wanted to go to school.

My intent was not to denegrate those who seek NMF scholarships. One of my NMFs went to ASU on a 100% tuition (now less) program. As I said above, the post is much more a personal reflection than a comment on anyone else’s journey. It was my realization that NMF is a “scholarship” tool, not and “admissions” tool.

I am very grateful for the NMF $$ offered. It made school possible for my children.

2 Likes

What is the latest on scholarships from the various Florida colleges and ASU in Arizona? I’ve read that these may now only be for in-state residents in each case go-forward. True or not? Are they as good for out-of-state applicants?

Thanks.

The Florida Schools no longer have the Benacquisto Scholarship for out of staters. Various schools do have scholarships for OOS Merit Scholars. (UF nothing, USF Full COA, UCF $20K a year for the 1st 40 applicants, FIU Full COA) ASU has a scholarship for OOS but not like years past. I believe it can be as high as Full Tuition.

1 Like

Hi @citivas - I’m an ASU parent. This past year ASU changed their NMF scholarship. For OOS, the max is $15,500 per year (pretty sure). I believe is can be stacked. It still leaves a hefty chunk for out of pocket. Hopefully, the school will revert back to the previous version were any NMF was offered 100% tuition for 4 years. You only needed to cover R&B.

1 Like

Does anyone have experience with the NM scholarship from Mizzou? Or even just experience with Mizzou?
How about University of Maine?

1 Like

I’m very confused. Our high school announced 5 juniors today, including my D23 as “National merit semi-finalists” and gave them certificates that said that. My understanding though is that semi-finalists aren’t announced until the fall. I assume they got confused when asked to confirm eligibility for those who made the commended cutoff? Am I missing something?

It does not get announced until September. However, take her scores, figure out her SSI score and compare it for your state on Art’s site. As long as your a couple of points to the good, you shouldn’t sweat it. :slight_smile:

Sorry SIS score: “For example, if you earned a 30 on Reading, 32 on Writing and Language, and 31 on Math. To find your Selection Index score, first add your section scores together: 30 + 32 + 31 = 93. Then, multiply the total by 2 (93 * 2 = 186). Your Selection Index score is 186.”

1 Like

Reference her SIS score at this site narrowed down to your state. National Merit Semifinalist Cutoffs Class of 2024
Good luck! :slight_smile:

It’s true that depending on the state and score a school can guess the students are a safe bet, but it’s still really weird to formally announce these kids as semi-finalists before that’s official or the state qualifying score is even announced.

2 Likes

Agreed!!!

Right? I’m also familiar with where our state cut off usually falls, and I don’t think my D’s score is going to make it. My guess is that she will be named a Commended Scholar in the fall but now has this semi-finalist certificate from her school. :woman_shrugging: I just wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing anything in my understanding of the process.

Do you wait until September and dc is confirmed NMSF to apply to schools? Or just apply August 1 via common app? DC is applying to schools with rolling admission, so the earlier the better to get applications in. I’m not sure if NMSF is important at all for the application or just for the financial part later if they get NMF. How do schools then get notified?

Thanks.