Class of 2023 National Merit discussion

Does it even matter if someone is officially named NM Scholar? I am not arguing, I’m just asking. If my daughter accepts a full tuition scholarship at a college where she won’t get that title, I still consider it a win. She would not have received the offer, possibly, if not for having earned the NM Finalist title.

So after ALL our NMF research, D23 is now down to a top 2 and neither is a NMF school. Fwiw, we visited and really loved USF but the political climate and it’s likely impact on higher ed in FL scared us off. Her top 2 choices are still in “red” states (one of which is our own) but the FL situation was a bit TOO much for us. After we made that decision, we were getting ready to make plans to fly out to Maine to visit when she got a COA offer from a non-NMF school which bumped that to the top of the list. We’re waiting on a final scholarship decision (possible COA) from another non-NMF school (finalist weekend was last weekend) and then she can make a decision. Really hoping she’ll be ready to commit by the 15th/16th and not wait until the VERY end of the month. She’s got great choices so no concerns there but I’m just very ready to know so we can buy some swag and start planning! :wink:

1 Like

Agreed! :grin:

COA is COA! Nice. :+1:

1 Like

She is National Merit either way. By the scholarship definition of scholar, it would be one who has a NM scholarship. But by the having academic knowledge definition of scholar, that would make one a NM scholar. Either way, I would be proud.

No I don’t think it matters in the long run…. Just still a bit baffled by how it works and genuinely curious. I am so happy and pleased with our outcomes.

2 Likes

This is from UTulsa’s Semifinalist package page… does the Finalist line mean my kid can say he’s a “National Merit Scholar”? He doesn’t care, but I would like to shout it from the rooftops. I won’t, but I would like to. :laughing:

Yep. He’s a National Merit Scholar (or technically will be once he commits.)

One becomes a scholar and is announced on these dates:

April 26, 2023

Corporate-Sponsored Merit Scholarship® Winners

May 10, 2023

National Merit® $2500 Scholarship Winners

June 7, 2023

College-Sponsored Merit Scholarship® Winners

July 10, 2023

Additional College-Sponsored Merit Scholarship® Winners

2 Likes

Technically anyone who is in one of these categories is a scholar. They just aren’t announced until these dates. So Moms you can tell your friends. You deserve it! Dads too! :rofl:

2 Likes

Hahaha! Love it! Really appreciate this group.

2 Likes

Class of 2027. You have been admitted to the College of Arts & Sciences and chosen among a select group of peers to receive a prestigious $25,000 Presidential Scholarship. This honor recognizes your designation as a National Merit Finalist by the National Merit Scholarship Competition.

So he’s an NMS based on this?
Double checking.

I do want to brag lol

1 Like

Absolutely! That is it! Congrats!

1 Like

Thank you!!!

Would WE Know by now if our daughter was a winner for the 2500 scholarship? She was a finalist, but I’ve heard nothing else. She is attending a school that doesn’t give a NMS scholarship. Thank you!

1 Like

Yes, she would have been notified.

Hi
My daughter just committed to UMD so how ill she get the NMF scholarship now?

If it’s one that UMD awards, she should see that listed as part of her financial aid offer. Did she report to the NMS Corporation that UMD is her first choice college? If not, she should do so today.

Okay will do that. Thanks!

For anyone considering Cal Poly San Luis Obispo they offer a National Merit Scholar award of $3,000, renewable for all 4 years. Such a great surprise since this is not through NMSC and we didn’t know about it. A wonderful school for computer science/software engineering students, and an additional bonus is the recent “transformational” gift to create the Noyce School of Applied Computing!! Go Mustangs!!