Class of 2023 National Merit discussion

I’m late to this discussion… sorry! My nephew took the PSAT last fall/2021 and is in the class of 2023. Have the semi-finalists been announced? Is there a list somewhere? TIA

Letters are mailed in mid-September, with qualifying cutoffs usually constructed from those, when received, a few days later.

There’s usually a document with the actual mailing date but a quick search can’t find it.

Iirc, letters were mailed 9/15 last year and it took about a week for cutoffs to start being constructed/released. Individual students would be notified by their school at about this time, though some school are lax in notifications. It often sits on a Principal’s desk.

Looking at Compass Prep’s post from last year, 2022 letters were mailed out in late August, some states’ cutoffs were leaking out in early September, and every state’s cutoff had leaked by September 15th.

I spent some time the other day “casually reading” the previous years threads and they were in agreement that letters starting going out to schools (and homeschool parents) late August with the press releases going out mid September. It seems we will start to hear something (checks calendar) in the next couple of weeks.

1 Like

I’m with you, TexasMom18. I feel like this is the longest wait of my life! My son is only one point above Art’s projection for our state, so I’m not confident he’ll make it (but hopeful!).

1 Like

We’re in a similar situation. Above the likely for our state but not above the projected range so we’re keeping fingers crossed and waiting for the Sept notifications!

Fingers crossed… Checked with couple of NMF parents from last year. Schools should have an update next week. It will depend on them if they share before or after Labor Day.

1 Like

Yes. My daughter is in the same boat. 1 point over the likely score and 2 points over the cutoff from last year. I read that the letters were mailed out last year to the high schools on 8/24, so if this follows suit they have already been mailed out.

DD has a healthy cushion (3 above the likely score and 2 above the highest for our state) and the suspense is still killing me. Her and I have this ongoing dance where we switch places with one of us being confident it will all work out and the other being nervous something will go wrong. We’ve been holding our breath for a really long time and we are just ready to exhale.

Similar. S23 is 3 above the “most likely” in NJ and 1 above the top of the estimated range, but given how competitive the state is and that Maryland and Study Abroad got within 1 point of it last year, you can’t be complacent. Does anyone know if any state has had a cut-off above 225 before?

1 Like

Nope, highest ever was Maryland last year with a 224 – which was hypothesized to be because of a very large number of Alternate Entries from the state due to COVID.

My S23 has a 223 in Illinois, which ought to be safe…but like everyone else, I’m still a bit nervous.

2 Likes

DD just received notice that she was awarded the Rural and Small Town Recognition Award! I don’t know at the moment how that corelates to the NMSF announcement.

8 Likes

Do you mind me asking if your daughter is a rising senior? I am waiting for the notification of the National Recognition Program (hispanic) as well for my daughter who is a rising senior and have not heard back yet. I know she qualified, as I am also waiting for National Merit as well, but I’m worried that because she is changing schools this year that maybe there was an issue with her file. I’m thinking maybe rising juniors are being notified first?

She is class of 2023

We are still waiting to hear back, too (Indigenous). My son is a senior. I asked the Gifted Coordinator about it last week at Open House. She knew nothing about it which makes me wonder if the school ever completed their part of the application.

Thanks for the input. That is my fear as well; that the school did not submit something. I don’t know what their part is in this, but my daughter was well above the cut off and submitted everything early. Hopefully, they are just working thru everything.

In case you were looking for colleges with great national merit scholarships: NMF scholarships - Google Sheets

2 Likes

He got his letter today! (National Indigenous Scholar)

3 Likes

Congratulations! Still waiting to see if it arrives for my daughter. I knew we would be on pins and needles for National Merit results, but didn’t think I would have to sweat out whether this one came in. I’m hoping that her changing schools this year didn’t send it into limbo.

I hope you hear something soon. I should add that he didn’t get an actual letter. He got an email and a text. You might have your daughter check her Spam folder.