Class of 2023 National Merit discussion

Anxiously awaiting news of NMSF. S23 is one point above the likely score listed on the Compass Prep website so recognition isn’t guaranteed. Thankful for this community where I can share my anxiety without judgment. Hopefully, we all receive good news soon.

2 Likes

I saw on Reddit where someone called NMC last week and were told letters would go out this week.

1 Like

CompassPrep is reporting Florida is official at 216. I don’t know if that helps anyone here or not. It appears letters went out last week.

2 Likes

As an update, I tried calling National Recognition Program at College Board today. There is no way to talk to that department on the phone, so I spoke to someone related to National Merit and asked them to email the department with my daughter’s College Board ID number so there is an internal request to respond. My daughter has tried emailing thru her portal and I have emailed directly. No response. I cannot believe how shoddy this process has been. National Merit seems to be breaking and I am hoping she makes it in IL as she is 2 points over last year’s cut-off. If she does miss National Merit however, she may not have National Recognition because I simply cannot talk to anyone to correct whatever glitch caused them to miss her application.

And so it begins….

Art Sawyer has published Florida and Kansas NMSF cutoff information, based on semifinalist letters that apparently have gone out much earlier than in the past. Earlier than even the promised “early September” timeframe from NMC.

For those unfamiliar, Art is pretty much the gold standard in this area. They are only two data points so far, but both indicate a cutoff a point below his “most likely” prediction.

7 Likes

Still have not received letter for homeschool DD. But schools in county seem to have their lists. Any word on the letters?

Nothing here. CompassPrep has reported Florida, Alabama and Kansas. I haven’t seen anything on Texas yet.

What state are you in?

Alabama. DD has a 216, and we heard she was on the district list. Just would like to receive the letter as well.

1 Like

Congratulations to her!

A 219 qualified in Texas. Hope this is good news for you!

I just saw that! DD has a 223 so excellent news for us! Now for the official letter…

4 Likes

Does anyone know if national merit/recognition is noted on the SAT score report? Common app only has four slots for awards and my kid is being thoughtful about what to include.

1 Like

I don’t think national merit/recognition is noted on SAT score report. Plus a lot of schools now allow you to self report scores. Also, I think there on 5 slots on CA for awards. My son won’t be listing NMF on his awards slots. He will however list it under additional information.

I’m currently trying to convince the other twin to list Commended in additional information but he doesn’t think it should be listed at all. We will re-visit once everything is official.

1 Like

No, National Merit status in not on an SAT score report.

1 Like

Nothing for NY?

Appreciate the replies @Mom24boys and @RichInPitt. I like the idea of listing it under additional information and will encourage S to do that.

1 Like

Anything for California?

California is no higher than 221

3 Likes

Haven’t posted here in quite a few years. Hello, C of 2023 parents!

Waiting to get additional reports from KS. It’s not that I don’t trust Art’s blog, but I’d like other reports for my state. DD’s selection index is fine, but her BFF’s is 216 and I’d be SO happy for her if she got this award, too. I’m checking here and reddit. If DD hears anything at school, I will also post.

2 Likes