Class of 2023 Nursing Admissions

@TorisMom Congrats on all of the Admits. Have you looked into UKs early admit option? I have seen it on their website where you can be admitted into the Nursing school as a freshman and as long as you keep your GPA up you will be automatically admitted into the nursing program 3rd year. My D doesn’t have many direct admit schools on her list and I am hoping these types of programs exist more places to help reduce uncertainty.

Below is from UKs nursing Curriculum PDF
Early Admission
Early provisional admission to the Professional Nursing Curriculum will be granted to graduating high school seniors who meet the criteria of a high school GPA of 3.5 or higher and an ACT composite of 28 or higher (or the equivalent SAT combined score). Students will be required to maintain a 3.25 GPA in each semester in their first year and a 3.25 GPA in science to retain guaranteed admission to the professional level. Students who meet these requirements will be granted full admission in either the fall or spring of the student’s sophomore year to the Professional Nursing Curriculum. Students not meeting those requirements will be grouped with other applicants who are considered for admission after completion of the prerequisites

@WasIDremin Thank you for the info on UK nursing as I am sure it will help a lot of people

@WasIDremin I don’t think those stats are accurate. The PDF may be outdated. Here’s what’s on the Nursing College admissions page:
What is “Provisional Admission”?
You meet the initial qualifications for guaranteed admission if you have the following when you apply for Fall as a UK Pre-Nursing Major:

Final unweighted high school GPA of 3.6 on a 4.0 scale (GPAs on different scales are converted to a 4.0 scale)
ACT Composite score of 28 or higher, not a superscore
To be accepted as a Provisional Admit for the Fall or Spring semester in the professional nursing program you must:

Maintain a 3.6 or higher cumulative GPA each semester and 3.6 or higher science GPA during your freshman year at UK (Fall and Spring)
Apply to the College of Nursing by March 1
Please note: Provisional Admission is not a “direct admit” to the nursing program; all requirements must be met.

Thanks @txtwins for the update!

@txtwins Thanks. I am glad you pointed that out. Looks like they are making it more and more difficult to get in provisionally. Are you or your S/D admitted to UK?

No. I have a D20 who’s a junior looking at nursing programs. We have visited UK but not specifically for nursing. It seems like such a risk to enroll in a university only to not make it into the nursing program. Most of them only have 200 spots each year.

Update on DD Nursing Acceptances

Stats:
1350 on SAT
4673 eligibility index
100s of hospital volunteer hours
Yearbook Editor for two years
Best Buddies President

Accepted:
Grand Canyon University (merit aid)
Point Loma Nazarene University (merit aid)
Arizona State University Direct (merit aid)
Azusa Pacific University Direct (merit aid)

Still Waiting:
CSU Fullerton-WAITLISTED
San Diego State

@EngTchrMom your D has great stats and acceptances already. I wanted to say that last year CSUF waitlisted all their top applicants before making their selections from the waitlist. So that status may still be a good thing and the new norm. Good luck with your remaining programs!

@Banker1 We weren’t sure if Fullerton waitlists everyone (they said they had 4600 applicants this year). It said “top applicants”, but we just aren’t sure. However, my DD does not want to attend there anyway, so she is going to decline the waitlist; I made her apply there just to throw the net out. APU has been her first choice all along, but I am having her wait to hear back from SDSU just to give her more options. I will let you all know! SDSU should be notifying in the next two weeks, I think.

@EngTchrMom Congrats on your daughter’s acceptances! She has great choices. Good luck with her remaining application results!

@Banker1 It looks to be a similar process this year

Good luck to all applicants!

First time Poster here : ) Here is DD 's stat

SAT: 1420
ACT:
GPA: 4.3?
State Residency: AZ
female

Admitted
ASU
Grand Canyon Univ
Azusa Pacific

Applied and waiting
Westminster Salt Lake
SDSU
UCI
UCLA

Thanks for sharing your DD’s stats and schools @jh914437. Congrats on ASU, GCU and Azuza Pacific and best of luck on SDSU, UCI and UCLA. Is 4.3 the capped weighted gpa? What are your thoughts on ASU being from AZ?

Another update. Looks like many are in the same boat waitlisted at CSUF.

Daughter
SAT: 1380
ACT: 31
GPA: 4.0 / 4.36 (UC capped) / 4.67 (CSU capped)
State Residency: CA
Ethnicity: White
Other: Volunteering at local hospital, bi-lingual English/Spanish, 7 AP classes and lots of Honors classes, several club leadership positions, athletics and piano

Accepted:
Point Loma - pre nursing, ($15K merit)
Azusa Pacific - Direct, ($20K merit)
Sonoma State - pre nursing
CSU Long Beach - pre nursing
San Jose State - pre nursing

Applied:
UCLA - Direct
UC Irvine - Direct
San Diego State - Direct
USF - Direct

Waitlisted:
CSU Fullerton - Direct

@EngTchrMom Would your D choose APU over SDSU if she gets into State? My D got into both with top merit but was concerned about student life at APU. She never visited APU but realized late in the process that she prefers a larger campus. Good luck!

@Bonchien I take it your D prefers to remain in state? That’s a lot of good CA schools and she has strong stats. As far as I recall the UC/CSU GPA are both capped at 8 semesters weighted courses and are the same GPA maxing out around 4.4 Your D’s higher figure must be the weighted uncapped? I believe UCLA will consider that. Good luck with your remaining schools.

@Banker1 My older daughter is a sophomore at SDSU, involved in a sorority, and absolutely loves it as an Aztec. My DD has been to the campus, and she wasn’t all that impressed, mentioning the big size. I know the one thing that she likes is the football team; she loves school spirit and events. Go Aztecs! (I am alum).

We did visit APU, and DD loved it. It kind of reminded me of the size of a high school, and DD loves her HS, and she is very actively involved-she is the Yearbook Editor, so everyone knows her. I think the smaller size appeals to my DD as a way to not “get lost”, get to know “everybody”, be “known”, get very involved, etc. The day we were there was a random day where they were promoting a luau dance they were going to have; my DD liked that. She has also mentioned she likes the Christian atmosphere, and feels that would be better as she knows nursing is tough schooling. Last night she told me she thought APU would be better because when when she is studying, she wouldn’t feel like she was missing out on all the parties, or feel tempted to go to parties instead of study (as she would if she were at SDSU). I think her older sister who IS hitting all those frat parties at SDSU has given my DD a slanted view of the school.

Ultimately, if she gets into SDSU, I will be having her visit both schools again…and she will decide what is best for her. I know SDSU has done changes so students don’t feel so lost there. The good thing is I already know she will be happy at APU if she doesn’t get into SDSU.

@readthetealeaves Not capped weighted, just happens to be at 4.3 : ) We have visited ASU downtown campus, nice facilities and welcoming overall, should be a solid program. The student would have to maintain 3.5 and above GPA to stay as direct admit though.

@ColoSky My DD is considering Westminster College. Can you share your son’s experience of their nursing program specifically, courses, professors, clinicals etc, or anything else on your mind. Thanks a lot!

@Banker1 Thanks for the clarification on the CSU GPA. I’ve found the calculation a bit confusing since my D’s school is on a trimester system. I also thought CSUs counted honors courses for extra credit, while UC’s don’t.

My D does want to stay in California for her RN license and to make networking contacts in the state.