Class of 2023 TAMU Engineering at Galveston

And many trained engineers go on to have a business focus later in life. It all comes down to what your son wants to do, @angsmi.

@angsmi Yes, rushing a fraternity as a sophomore is encouraged! He won’t meet any opposition. And greek life right now is under a microscope, so all is safe and good with them. My son pledged as freshman and he’s loved it and excelled in classes. He’s also a part of IFC leadership program (intrafraternal council). So don’t worry if his thoughts aren’t fleeting. It can be a very positive environment and brothers for life.

Also, what about fish camp? Is that an option in cstat for tamug students?

Any Aggie can go to Fish Camp. Galveston also has their own camp, called SALT camp. It may be more for traditional Galveston students but I have heard of engineering at Galveston students going. http://www.tamug.edu/saltcamp/index.html

I still have our Fish Camp handbook downloaded. let me go see what it says.

The sessions are already posted. https://fishcamp.tamu.edu/

@Thelma2 Thank you!!!

I’m assuming if Blinn Brenham academies (not accepted via TAMU but through Blinn) can attend Fish Camp then it would be open to Galveston as well. I would do the SALT camp though simply because you’ll meet so many students attending the same campus that first year (and I’m sure a large portion of them will transition to Cstat soph year). Gives them a chance to bond!

I have a doubt. If i take up following AP courses…

Physics C: Electricity and magnetism
Physics C: Mechanics
Calculus BC
Computer Science A

That is 2 science and 2 math both being completed…

Then do i just need to study One semester of 2 engineering classes? And get transferred to CStat?

Im sorry if im wrong becoz Im from India and Im still unclear about how things go about in the US …

@Sriramkrish0110 Everything about the engineering program, general engineering, Entry to a major, etc is online on the Engineering web pages. I posted all of the links on the admissions thread.

You should not accept AP credit until you go to advising at NSC. Do send the scores to the school.
If you end up claiming AP credit for the 2 sciences and 2 maths, you will take two other higher maths in general engineering. Same with the sciences. The program is designed so that no one skips out of first year general engineering.

The 2 math, 2 science, and 2 engineering classes must be taken at TAMU. Your AP physics credits will not be accepted for the particular physics classes required. You can take math credit THEORETICALLY if you pass the math placement exam at TAMU required of all students. You could start in higher level math, but still must take two math classes at TAMU before applying for a specific engineering major–along with the 2 science and 2 engineering classes. They want to evaluate how well the entry engineering students perform in college.
This is how TAMU handles things, not an American approach per se.

Im just wondering that if I choose engineering at Galveston and decide after a semester there that Im not interested in engineering can I do business at galveston instead that first year and then transfer to Texas A&M college station mays business school. So in other words should I do the engineering academy at Galveston If Im not sure what major Im going to be doing cause I`m kind of in between engineering and business right now?

@sma1234 The closest thing to business that would be offered at TAMUG is Maritime Administration. You can google that department’s information. There may or may not be a good overlap of Maritime Administration freshman classes with Mays early classes if you want to transfer. I am not an expert in that area, for sure, but I would look at the freshman courses for both majors, the Mays transfer requirements, and see whether I could get courses that would transfer to Mays–POTENTIALLY, as it appears to be very difficult to transfer into Mays (100 internal transfer slots), and I believe I read somewhere that Mays transfers are only for the fall semester. Freshman classes are so often pretty general subjects–math, science, core curriculum, etc.

You might want to spend some time doing some general research on engineering vs. business courses to get a better idea of what sounds more aligned with your interests. Then see whether a year at Galveston would help you (look at courses available there). If you pass the MPE, the Engineering at Galveston program starts right out with calculus, a programming class (ENGR 102), chemistry and/or physics, and state-mandated core curriculum classes.

I believe there are students who start out in Engineering at Galveston who decide reasonably early on to change major. The department that you might want to get into in College Station would have to accept your transfer. If you want a Mays transfer, be prepared to have a 4.0 and a stellar resume showing distinct business major potential. It may be that Maritime Administration, Economics, University Studies-Business, a business minor, or Industrial Distribution major would also work for you.

Are freshman at TAMU engineering at galveston required to live on campus? Because I would rather drive back to Houston (1hr) than stay in a dorm?

TAMUG’s on-campus housing requirement can be waived under certain circumstances. One of them is that parent/guardian lives in Galveston county. Please look at the list of other waivers below. Any application to live off campus is due April 1.

http://www.tamug.edu/reslife/housing/Campus%20Housing%20Requirement.html

@sma1234 I understand that you don’t like the situations of dorm living however, as a freshman, commuting an hour each directions can make it all the more harder to connect to and get involved. It is so key to a successful first year. The pages of College Confidential are full of lonely freshmen trying to find their place. Galveston affords a small environment to really connect with others in a much smaller environment. There are also group projects in the engineering class that are worked on outside of class. Finding the time to do those when everyone has free time can be difficult when living in close proximity, much less if you have such a long commute.

You may need to put those personal preferences aside to make the most out of your time in GV, should that be your final choice.

I would also call Galveston admissions and speak with someone about your exact situation and what you are thinking so you know what all of your options would be for change of curriculum to College Station, should you decide not to stay in engineering once you got there.

Mays only takes fall transfers and only 100 each fall. The competition is fierce. One degree @MomHopesNxtGenAg to consider, is Industrial Distribution. It is in the engineering college but is not an engineering major. It has a lot of business classes involved. You can join the Business Club. There is a lot of crossover from the Tech and Business side. .

Check it out http://id.tamu.edu/

You would go through ETAM process to get into the major. http://id.tamu.edu/

Howdy! I was offered pathways this morning and would like to clarify some things.

1-The minimum requirements for ETAM are the two of each engineering, science and math courses as well as a 2.0 GPA, correct? and getting a 3.5 guarantees your first choice major?

2-Is it correct that it’s 2 semesters of TAMUG for math 151 and 3 semesters for math 150, determined by your MPE?

3-What is the likelihood of ETAM to your preferred engineering major if your GPA isn’t quite a 3.5, lets say a 3.0? and how rigorous is the course load, meaning is it typical for students to achieve a 3.5?

I really want to be an Aggie, but I’m nervous about giving up a full acceptance offer at another school for a maybe at College Station.
Thanks for your help!

1. and 2. (assuming you pass the courses) are correct.

Truly up to date ETAM statistics are not being published, at least not to the best of my knowledge. We have heard recently here on CC from @pbleigh that the most popular engineering majors in the Spring 2018 cycle, Computer Science and Mechanical Engineering, filled up entirely with auto-admits (3.5 min. gpa). I haven’t seen any information at all about the results of the Fall 2018 ETAM.

Auto-admit to ETAM via 3.5 gpa is only offered the first semester of eligibility.

According to the aggie reddit, the most popular ETAM majors are aero/chemical/computer science/mechanical/petroleum. IF you are a strong and committed student with good preparation, preferably with lots of AP math/science/computer science, then you should be more able to get a 3.5 GPA. However, I don’t believe that a 3.5 gpa will be absolutely trivial for a lot of students. You know better what you are capable of and how committed you are. ETAM is a holistic review (again!) for everyone that doesn’t have a 3.5 GPA. I have my son’s data point. He is pretty committed and had prior AP classes to cover every math/science/programming course he has taken at Galveston or is currently taking, and his gpa after his first semester was 3.36. Even after two full years of high school chemistry, he got a B in Chem 107, for example, but this was a difficult class for a lot of his classmates at TAMUG. Your success with getting your major at ETAM will depend on which major you are interested in and how flexible you are. There are lots of engineering majors offered at TAMU. If you are interested in some of the less popular engineering majors, then you would be much better able to get these with a GPA of 3-ish, say. I have heard of more than one student on aggie reddit who wasn’t offered a major at all during an ETAM cycle, but many found it more straightforward. In my opinion, you should be pretty committed to what you are trying to do and have a good support system in your family. This is just my sense right now, @lbtx150. Our family is also feeling our way along, and there are hardly three days that go by when I’m not asking my son about grades in some detail. He knows what a challenge he has ahead and also reports his major grades to us as he gets them.

Did anyone get the Texas grant or any scholarships for A&M(college of engineering at Galveston)?
A&M is my first choice. However, I don’t think I’ll be able to afford it ?
Does anyone know any helpful resources?

@ibtx150 @MomHopesNxtGenAg TAMU used to post for each class year the holistic review statistics for percent who got first choice, second and third. They currently have that information posted for class of 2020 but nothing after that. They also for the class of 2020 and prior used to update a webpage that had the holistic review results for each engineering major by overall GPA and GPA in major. Looking at that you could easily see which majors were the most competitive to get into that year. At that time, if memory serves me MEEN, BMEN, CHEN, AERO were just under a 3.5 for overall GPA but that was an average they also showed the minimum GPA admitted and maximum and there were GPAs considerably under and over that mark. Unfortunately they have removed that webpage and no longer release that information. My guess is that they removed it because of what happened during ETAM first opportunity for the class of 2021.

Remember that was the first year that they switched engineering to a holistic admission process so presumably the admitted students were more prepared for engineering, calculus and physics and made higher grades. Also that also was a year they expanded their opportunities to get into the engineering via campuses like Galveston and those kids also had the same ETAM rules; so lots more kids went through ETAM that year then in years past. Also at that time the ETAM rules were just that you had to take two MATH at TAMU, but they changed it after that semester so that people who did not have both Calc 1 and 2 could not auto admit during ETAM and that their first opportunity for ETAM would be their third semester and not their second. I believe after that they also changed the rule that said you only needed two sciences from a list to be taken at TAMU to auto admit ETAM; I believe they now require one to be physics.

I was told that at least two majors completely filled up with auto admits in spring of 2018; that would mean if they published that holistic review chart for each major those two majors would have been 0% admitted. Those two majors I was told were MEEN and CSCE, I was also told several others came close to filling up.

So to answer your questions:
1 yes, but there are specifics about what those math, science courses have to be, and I’m not sure what the minimum GPA is now to entry ETAM but a 2.0 would be difficult to get into a major with. A 3.5 with some additional stipulations I mentioned above gets you into your first choice major.
2, yes as I said above if you start in less then MATH 151 your first opportunity to ETAM will be your third semester, otherwise it will be your second; and, yes it is determined on your results from your MPE.
3. The answer to this greatly depends on what majors are your first, second, third and they now allow you to designate a fourth and a fifth. If you go to the Aggie Reddit and search on ETAM you will bring up a lot of posts from kids that had under a 3 and got a major this past year. However, you will also see kids who had just under a 3.5 and didn’t get any of their choices. Remember though they made changes to ETAM right after that cycle to presumably fix the auto admit issue; they basically made it harder to auto admit. So I would imagine that will leave more spots open in each major for holistic kids. There certainly were more kids entering majors in the Fall 2018 holistically because my son got into MEEN in the fall and from aggie reddit posts he was not alone. The big ETAM is always the spring so it will be interesting to see what happens after this semester with the 2022 kids. It is definitely doable to get a 3.5 as evidenced by the fact auto admit filled up several majors; just do not overdue it with the amount of credits you take your first two semesters.
I totally understand the apprehension, I went through this with my own son. All I can tell you is that this is totally within your own hands. Lots of kids are able to auto admit and you can too, just make sure that is your priority during your first two semesters at tamu and you will be golden. As an aside, my son had a 3.8 and couldn’t auto admit because he was missing a class. Make sure you know all the requirements for auto admit and schedule accordingly.

Thank you, @pbleigh. Hopefully making ETAM a little more specific about which classes would be minimally acceptable with Class of 2022 will allow more review students will be able to get their first or second choice major. We can definitely sense the CoE growing pains. Yes, @lbtx150, it would be in your hands to do well. More importantly, you would not be alone. Get support and help when facing any challenge.

@sma1234 you would be making a critical mistake to try and drive to and from school everyday. You will miss out on group study opportunities and group projects. You will also spend 2 plus hours a day in a car that could be used instead to study or sleep. Do not underestimate the rigors of the major. 10 hours a week of commuting would be be a monumental waste of time. As I have posted previously, my son spent 15 hours studying for his last calc 2 test alone. Leaving home is part of growing up to adulthood and I certainly understand any apprehension. However, you WILL make friends and learn more about yourself in the process.