Class of 2023 undergrad/Class of 2021 grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

LOLOL I owe @dbandmom and apology! Pretty sure most schools have skinny dipping once in a while, but I never heard of one that technically allows it!

Also beside my daughter, my nephew is studying jazz drumming at CalArts – the music school is amazing. @jacole I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have and put your son in contact with my nephew.

@astute12 OMG-so those rumors ARE true! Does sound a little weird but sometimes weird is a good thing. Lol. I love that they let the students truly express themselves, nothing wrong with that! Would that environment work for every kid? No way. But if students and parents are open-minded and embrace a free-spirited place, might be perfect! Thanks for all that info, made me chuckle and picture a very close-knit college family with a sense of humor and big bear hug for individuality and the arts. What area of study is your daughter? I may PM you if CalArts becomes a possible option.

@AmyIzzy my daughter is an actor and has had a wonderful experience. Solid, classical training. Got to work with lots of very well known theatre folks, and traveled to China to perform. It is a very unique place, not for everyone, but for students who really must be artists, it seems to do a good job balancing straight forward training and the crazy avant-garde art stuff!

@astute12 forget my kid — I want to go there!

@akapiratequeen me too!

Let’s have our first annual “The Journey” retreat there.

@tripletmama meet ya at the pool! lololol

In the still waiting column, we are still waiting for music merit award info from Michigan. One person posted about an award notice from Michigan. I wonder if anyone else out there has gotten award or if they are waiting like us.

Also, we are still waiting on a complete FA package from Miami (we have the music award but nothing else). They asked for an additional document just 1 week before decisions were released. I submitted right away, but there was some confusion (on their part) about whether I had submitted the right pages, so our FA package was delayed. When I called, they told me it might be another 2 or 3 weeks before we get the FA info. So frustrating since we have submitted everything in a timely manner every time they have asked.

Astute12——— I am little bit disappointed now that my son didn’t apply to CalArts. But one of his friends is there. Oh, yeah, very hippie one! Can’t wait to hear your daughter’s graduation.

@PercussionMama, we found my son’s Michigan merit award on the financial aid tab of his Wolverine Access portal. He also got an email about the award, but it was visible in the portal for a few days before the email came in.

@lkbux64 - I’ve been stalking Wolverine Access but haven’t been able to find anything other than the straight up FA estimated award. How long ago did you get the info? I called on Thursday to ask when music awards would come out, and the woman said they were being rolled out that day and Friday. But still nothing. Has the ship sailed without us? Her contact with the studio head was very positive and made us think she would get at least a token award if not more.

@PercussionMama My son received a letter from Michigan about the scholarship last Thursday I think. He never really checked his portal.

To those asking who is still waiting…

ME STILL WAITING!!! :slight_smile: Peabody and Curtis…and my nervousness levels are going off the roof right now as I hear from both tomorrow :/.

1 Like

Was taking break from CC. Missed all the banter about calarts and skinny dipping. Appreciate all the info. Just want to reiterate that I have NEVER been there and was just passing on info posted on websites by students so I appreciate mom of Calarts students for confirming some things and bringing more information to the table. I don’t think Calarts sounds like fit for my son. But certainly would have appeal for a lot of artists I sure. The work coming of of Calarts is impressive.

April 1 is here and O am so glad that I have ot driven myself or my son crazy. Thanks to all the parents who provide info and support. In the end my son was accepted to st. Rose, Berklee, Calarts, Belmont and a few other schools. While I have driven myself crazy with indecision, my son has been saying since about November that he is going to Belmont. We have even planned his senior year to take 8 classes required at Belmont prior to admission as dual enrollment. So while we are not getting a scholarship, we have already knocked off about 1 year of school and about 50k. That’s money in the bank. I want to offer that one tip to people who are following along but applying for next 2020. Dual enrollment and even AP classes is a great way to save money if you don’t have scholarship. I followed univ of Miami’s curriculum and Belmont’s bc they were my son’s first choices but when he decided Belmont focused completely on that. School was able to give me a list of classes to that were recommended for transferring as dual enrollment or otherwise.

Happy April Angst! Sending support and hugs to everyone still waiting for Curtis, Peabody, financial aid, and appeals!

I’m definitely applying for the CC Parent program at CalArts! But, for the record, I’ll be the graduate jumping out of a giant egg and NOT the one walking naked across the stage! Lol!

@jacole I didn’t realize your son also applied to the College of Saint Rose. Is that definitely off the table? They have a great Music Industry program and it’s our lowest cost college option at the moment (tuition would be $2500 per year thanks to the academic and talent scholarships and a small, but welcome, amount of financial aid.) Although there are some cons like Albany not being a big city and it not being a top name music college, but my daughter really likes it and is doing an accepted student day on April 14th to consider it more. Not sure she’ll end up there, but I’ve been very impressed with the program and the outreach from the college.

@PercussionMama we are also still waiting for music merit info from Michigan. My S got an e-mail to check his portal on Thursday, and it was only FA. He has not gotten an e-mail or letter from SMTD yet. I am also wondering if he has just not gotten any music merit. I am still holding out hope!