Class of 2023 undergrad/Class of 2021 grad: The Tours, the Auditions, the Journey

@HRoFan welcome and good luck to you and your daughter!

@HRoFan I think it’s awesome that your D is taking charge! I hope she finds a good fit!

Three (-four) Auditions: The Report
Part I
Feb 1st: the drive to Wisconsin was better than I’d hoped; while it had been polar vortex cold, it was sights better than our return from Decorah, Iowa, mid-January, across icy rural roads, after the Dorian Vocal Festival (where D auditioned with one song during a mini lesson and was selected a soloist—she was thrilled). These were highways, and clear skies all the way to Appleton that evening. We had the entire lower level of an AirBnB, and I had fun jumping through a seven-minute interval routine with her—bonding time!

In the morning sweet students, admission rep, Dean of Conservatory and Conservatory dog, Zeke, made us feel comfortable and welcomed. A practice room was available and D enjoyed the relative privacy for the preparation for not voice and cello auditions. The cello audition was 45 minutes approximately, while I had more coffee and chatted with fellow parents. As the door opened and she came out, I could see she seemed sort of shell-shocked, a bad sign! Indeed, she mentioned the prof and her did not gel and he was certainly opposed to the double-major idea. We regrouped by doing some lunch and looking through a cute gift-y store on the street nearby. Talked about not letting that faze her.

Voice was a different story: all faculty members showed up for an introductory meeting, a current student beautifully sang an art song, and the program was explained. Her voice audition was later in front of the faculty panel (and videotaped), and she emerged smiling, with a faculty member walking out alongside and inviting her into the music Ed workshop (for which we did not have time).

I’d sat in on the Dean’s presentation (first half) and appreciated his telling of individual students’ recital projects, alumni who were successful, and the out-of-the-Box thinking they encouraged at the Con. It seemed a warm and collaborative place.

Due to the not-great experience with cello, however, this sunk to last place.

Part II
February 7th was a busy day with plenty of snow forecast and wind for the evening and next morning. We drove off after the high school choir concert, to drive a few hours south and east, to get in front of the weather. The car ride the next day was fun, in part because D had downloaded her favorite TV show, House, and played an episode through the speakers. Driving is so much better with a story and some music! I had to be filled in on the plot occasionally but loved this and our meal in Indiana. I 80 was boring but an easy drive.

We arrived at our AirBnB near Cleveland by 6 and had Chinese. Having the place to ourselves D practiced voice and cello without worry that evening. We stayed in, although we could have attended Baldwin Wallace’s production of Once, as D didn’t feel the best. It was nice to have nowhere to go and relax.

At the BW campus we got turned around but finally found the check-in, the presentation started early and D was handed her packet and schedule. After a viola performance and a song from a musical theater Major (“Be Heard,” I think? Apt for the event.), our students were whisked away by student guides, not to be seen again until lunch! A little startling but a great plan, I thought. Us parents say a little forlornly through the patient presentation of the Conservatory Director and admissions director who spoke of the music therapy program, the focus on quality and a family-like atmosphere, financial information (the con fee includes lessons and accompaniment), and a student panel that highlighted fun musical asides and events throughout the year. At this school, the students appeared to own the atmosphere, and displayed their initiatives. They appeared heard and respected.

I saw D for a minute between events in the lobby, and she looked suddenly confident and at ease. Off she went to a piano proficiency exam, then we were herded to lunch and we met fellow parents and heard some travel and audition journey stories. It was nice to commiserate and celebrate.

Suddenly small groups of our students floated by and sat down deep in conversation with each other. I had the urge to do a full-out wave but my daughter caught my eye and smiled from across the room, so I was sated.

At 1, there was a vocal performance workshop and an opera coach launched into the drama of performing, selecting one or two brave souls to do their songs in front of us (my D slunk a little lower in her seat but, luckily?, was not picked—she seemed a little tired, but happy). Imagining what was going on, imagining scenes and people with whom to interact improved the performances, and then we got up to head to her cello lesson. She’s auditioned on both voice and cello already, and said the voice faculty had smiled and she felt good about her cello audition.

In the lesson, I saw first-hand the connection between my D and the cello prof. The cello prof praised her audition. Then my D asked about a fingering she wanted help with and off they went. I was amazed watching the two of them. D seemed to know exactly what Cello prof meant and vice versa, and I was in awe at the music

We left in an excellent mood for big coffees at Starbucks and on to Luther College —it would take Into the next day—where she’d attend the Dorian Orchestra Festival and audition. Although weather eventually canceled her high school group’s attendance at the festival, she got her audition in. The cello prof there was kind and I asked how it compared. She liked both, she said.

Part III
Yesterday, D flew off to Boston. On the second plane, she overheard someone explaining they would audition at NEC. “Me, too,” she said. Amazing to find fellow auditioners! She was to audition in voice, but enjoyed talking to both voice and string players there, she said later (via text). Her uncle picked her up at Logan and she met with the grandparents and cousins for dinner.

In the morning, she seemed nervous through texts. Her grandparents relished having her and taking her in for the events at NEC. My mom said they waited outside the practice room where she warmed up but asked to come in to hear her :). They don’t get a chance very often. All I received always a text that said, “It went great!” And a picture from the Museum of Fine Arts where they’d had lunch. Now we’re waiting for her plane to arrive. The next audition may be canceled—I can see we’re reaching our limit. Great Days, in any case. The waiting stage has begun.

Congratulations @Pikachu’s Mom 's D for getting through auditions!

Thank you @Pikachu’sMom for this fantastic description! Sounds like D absolutely shone. Interesting about Lawrence and the double major — my S also dropped the school because the fit seemed wrong. Love the description of bonding on the road, and of nerves followed by triumph at NEC. How amazing to watch them spread their wings. And how great that the grandparents got to see it too!

Based on all of this, has D’s list shifted at all? How is she feeling? And how are you? So much planning and waiting, and then it goes by so fast. Wonderful memories.

Thank all for the wonderful posts. I especially enjoy hearing about everyone’s audition experiences. It’s always good to know you are not alone. We spent the weekend at Northwestern. Bienen is housed in the most beautiful new music school along side Lake Michigan. Many of the studios and practice rooms overlook the lake as do several performance venues. My D auditioned for VP. She found the faculty to be extremely warm and welcoming which put her immediately at ease. We also attended a recital of current students. It was very well staged as they had several different classes represented (freshman tenor, sophomore baritone, Junior mezzo and a second year masters soprano). Truthfully, all were very impressive for their respective levels. The students and faculty also answered question from the audience. My D and her parents left extremely excited about Bienen and NU as a whole. One more audition to go next weekend. Then we sit back wait and pray!

Sorry for the typos!! Also, snow and cold days have been helpful to relieve some of the stress the past few weeks. Great recovery time (after shoveling)!

It was the double major in music that I think was discouraged. I think she did not do as well, maybe, as others, but the following two cello auditions must have made her feel much better. About to get her from the airport, so we’ll find out but I think she feels good about Luther and Baldwin Wallace; NEC is likely to be too expensive, but you never know.

@akapiratequeen - so very jealous that you are over and done - and congrats on #Rutgers going well. What a relief to be over and done!

@Pikachu’s Mom - love that your daughter got to involve grandparents in the process. Our daughter also auditioned at NEC - just got an email that results will come back the end of March - and I agree about the cost. And I"ve heard that they aren’t that generous with scholarships. But who knows?

@highnotes2018 - LOVE Northwestern. Our musician’s triplet sister was invited there for a lacrosse recruiting weekend 2 years ago. Gorgeous setting on the lake. Glad the audition went well.

Our daughter had her second Berklee audition today. I’m in North Dakota (will explain in a bit) so I had to get the low down over the phone.

I woke up this morning to about 20 texts from her - saying that she was so under pressure (because I said she couldn’t go unless she got more scholarship $$ - which is only somewhat true), etc. etc. Her nerves were definitely getting the better of her and she got no sleep. Fast forward a few hours. Said a lot of prayers during the time of her audition. She brought her best friend to be her drummer and the jazz vocal teacher to accompany her on piano. They had only rehearsed for an hour on Thursday. She said she didn’t have much time to warm up and felt a bit rushed. (I would imagine she was not early). She said she was a bit spacey from having no sleep - but she thinks it went well. She played “I’ll be Seeing You” and “Recordame”. Then all the bits and bobs that Berklee requires. She said that she studied the most difficult sight reading exerpts in the 10 or so minutes - and they asked her to play the easiest. She did well on the first - but not so great on two measures on the second one (sounds like a great job to me!). She was told in her first Berklee audition to work on that which she did. She also did much better on the part where you have to play what they play on the piano (I forget the term). She said she nailed that). She is convinced that her scholarship will not increase, though (because it didn’t for her close friend). I told her to keep a positive attitude.

She had a rough week with her car being towed (she got a flat tire on the way to a performance and had to leave it at a 7-11 - they admitted the mistake and paid for the tow… but today she parked her car across the street from the Berklee audition at a Jack in the Box - and guess what? Yup - it was towed AGAIN. I told her that we cannot pay for it. Of course we will likely have to - but want her to reflect on it for a bit. And after auditions are over, I want her to get a job and pay for it. It’s OK to make mistakes - but learn from them!!! I hope she ends up in a place next year where she doesn’t need a car because the parking situation has been very problematic for her. She needs a car to transport her bass…but it’s been such a hassle.

SFCM jazz audition is next weekend - and then the New School. She was invited to do a gig for the Producer of the “Voice” (who saw her play at a concert) and to the funeral of her mentor’s ex-wife (the jazz great vocalist Nancy Wilson) so she might try to push that audition up or back a day or so to do both of these things. In some ways, it would be a shame for her to leave LA as she has made some very good connections there - including doing demo work, gigs, etc… I’m sure that whatever is meant to be, will be.

I’m writing this from Grand Forks North Dakota where I am with my musician’s triplet sister for a college tour of a great aviation school (UND) where she also got a golf scholarship. It’s very cold here - but very friendly people and a top notch program… But - turns out that they dropped the WUE for aviation students this year resulting in a $13k increase (111%) in tuition for the first year. Not happy about that. But - it will just increase our daughter’s loans so it’s her decision. I have to keep reminding myself that.

So great to hear all your audition stories. We will survive this!

S loved Oberlin this weekend, audition #3 of 4 for him. Campus is beautiful, with a small town, New England feel. Temperature was in the 20s with light snow on Saturday—a lot different than Miami! Students and faculty were very friendly and supportive and facilities were first class. Audition was with a full rhythm section made up of current students, which vocalist son loved. The instrumentalists were placed in combos and auditioned together—seemed pretty wild. Five faculty were present for his audition, which was recorded so others on the faculty could listen to later. S performed his two charts and then was asked to sing a third of his choosing. Don’t know what it means that they asked for an extra song but I want to believe that was a good sign. If they hated his voice, I don’t think they would have asked for more!

Audition morning included a tour of the conservatory and a lunchtime performance of a jazz combo at an on-campus coffee house that was packed with more than 50 students from the college and conservatory. After audition the students were invited to attend a rehearsal of the jazz ensemble, then to play/sing at a student jam session, which S loved. We went to a concert at one of many concert halls on campus afterwards. A very full day! Saturday included a Q&A with a dean and half a dozen students, a separate session on FA, and a tour of the college. A very packed and informative weekend at a very impressive place.

@jazzboydad that sounds amazing. Oberlin is a really special place. Fingers crossed for your S. (Full disclosure: my biggest disappointment last fall was that my S wouldn’t apply there.)

@highnotes2018 Northwestern seems like a great fit for your D! How wonderful that she had such a positive experience. It has surprised me overall how much our kids have enjoyed these auditions, in spite of all the stress. And, as a parent, it’s been satisfying to watch S meet, interact, and thrive among members of his chosen “tribe.”

@tripletmama oy, your daughter! So much talent, so much teen! I’m sure she killed the audition — if she’s like my D, the stress/anxiety pushes her to peak performance. It’s tough on the poor parents, though. As for paying for the tow, does she get gig money? My S needs to earn $ as well, if only to pay for his ramen habit, but I’ve been urging him to take on private students or gigs rather than getting a standard job.

And everyone — good luck at Peabody, NEC, and other upcoming auditions! Looking forward to glorying in your kids’ successes!

:)>-

Thanks @dbandmom. Don’t get me wrong. We have certainly done our share of helicopter parenting over the years, but it is hard for us to help her here. I tried to get involved in choosing her repertoire and college list, but my advice wasn’t very knowledgeable and it wasn’t helping. So I backed off and we are both happier.

Is anyone headed to Peabody today for an audition tomorrow or Tuesday. Wondering what the experience at Peabody is like.

We were at NEC last weekend and they did a great job. Some schools we have been to are not as organized as NEC. One tip for NEC: my son is a vocal performance applicant and it would have been nice if the vocal faculty made themselves more available. The director of the undergraduate opera program did make himself available for about 15 minutes and no one asked any questions after that. He would have stayed and talked longer. So, he wrapped up his talk. Suggestion for them is to have multiple faculty talk and bring a list of FAQs to respond to to get the conversation going. At CCM the vocal faculty (all of them) spoke for an hour about their program and took questions. Very helpful.

Tip for CCM: have your students more involved in guiding the visitors. NEC had an army of students directing visitors to the right spots. They were deployed at all the entrances including at every elevator entry spot. They all had the purple NEC shirt on so you knew they were there to help. CCM could do the same and the students would probably enjoy helping out.

Tip #2 for CCM: Identify a specific show time for each student and reserve specific times and spaces for students to warm up. NEC did this and it worked well. At CCM there was competition to get space which added unnecessary stress. Also, a number of students were obviously not warming up in the rehearsal spaces. So have a graduate student shoo them away when their rehearsal time is up.

Food for thought.

Congrats for the positive experience @jazzboydad at Oberlin. Feel free to ask me any questions about the school. Good luck!

@basso_texas I think it’s inmportant for parents to keep an eye on these differences. I don’t believe that it’s a matter of “caring” by the school. But I do think you’ll get an idea of how schools operate. From my limited experience you see, in general, smaller programs where everyone is in the same boat pulling the oars together. Smaller programs have fewer students and probably more expectations/influence on the majority in the music school working together to welcome new students. Bigger programs often don’t behave this way. They would not pull all their resources as there are too many. So it’s probs more volunteer…except for selected faculty (that probably rotates depending on needs for auditions and within school productions). I know my D volunteered freshman year (after that most students lose interest). I do remember one time that she was frustrated during an audition weekend as she couldn’t find a practice room…from her rant it seemed she didn’t know it was an audition weekend until she headed to the music building. At large schools many people are working “on their own” maybe oblivious to others “going ons” for the music school. She was in second semester productions often so her focus and time would have been elsewhere…as her school did a lot of productions. A smaller music school may be able to clear everyone’s schedule. A large school will just clear what is needed and let the rest of the school run as normal. Larger music programs will general have less hand holding and feel less like everyone is “working together as one”. Of course this is my opinion and I’m sure there are exceptions so I speak in general. Nevertheless…what you see is often what you get. It’s not a matter of a mistake/oversight at school…it’s how they operate. My D in the end liked the idea of less hand holding and more autonomy. So what may turn off one student, could feel right to another. It’s an interesting process.

@bridgenail I hear you. I’m not walking in their shoes. I don’t think the experiences with faculty availability or practice rooms was overly negative. We felt welcome at both places by the faculty and students.

I hear you too. Often when I post, it’s with a larger “audience” in mind…lol…more so than I reply to one post.

The auditions are always interesting with positives and negatives … as you have seen. They really do give you an inside look…and the difference bx large and small programs come into focus. Although admittedly there is much middle ground.

@Pikachu’s Mom, I was very interested in what you wrote about Lawrence. I had an interaction with a former admissions officer about my son (who’s had a very meandering path and doesn’t have a perfect GPA as a transfer student; he has probably 6-7 W’s on his multiple transcripts and one C). The impression he left me with about Lawrence (basically wasn’t sure my son would get in anywhere, and certainly not Lawrence, because of the academics) wasn’t great. It made me question my son’s chances at any school. I’m glad he was very wrong, but it did leave me with the feeling that there was a bit of snobbery going on there. I could be wrong, but that’s the impression I got.