Class of 2024 Admissions Decisions

“Anyone applied around the regular decision deadline of 12/15 heard anything yet? Portal shows sons’s application and transcript received 12/15 and SAT scores on 12/27. On Jan 3 he received an email saying his application review was 75% complete. Still waiting…”

This was us. Today my son got his acceptance letter, in the most backwards way, but he did get it. First, he received and email congratulating him “again” on his acceptance to UTK, and explaining the next steps to take (set up student online account, pay deposit…). That was the very first time he got any indication that there was a decision made about his application. No email letter, and the VIP status update portal had not changed at all. The letter said to use the temporary PIN that we received via the portal, and set up a password and student account. But since we didn’t get that email, we didn’t have a PIN. So we called the phone number listed for troubleshooting. They verified my son’s account (for a minute there I was holding my breath wondering if there might have been a mistake!), and he was then able to set up his account. About 90 minutes later, his portal was updated to read “a decision regarding your application has been made. Click here to view.” That led directly to the familiar acceptance letter. Whew! Approximately two hours after getting the first email (which referred to a prior one that had not yet been received), he got a congratulatory email from the school.

So, basically everything happened backwards. But all that matters is that it happened!

@fuma88 Congrats to your daughter! Do you mind sharing what school for Architecture she was accepted to? This seems to be a general forum for 2024, correct? Thank you!

It’s amazing how similar your situation is to ours. Except it’s my son and his major is Nuclear Engineering and we are in PA. Nearly identical test scores. 4.2 GPA. One sport, several clubs. Never been to the school. Volunteer scholarship got our attention. Planning to visit in February (in coordination with school of music audition).

Best of luck to your daughter in her decision making process. We are down to final 2.

@5OnTheHill This thread is for class of 2024 admissions at University of Tennessee (I think that’s what you were asking?).

Just got word that I was accepted to the 1794 Scholars Program!

@cinemababe We got that yesterday too. (1794 Scholars Program) I have no idea what it is. Can you provide some info? Is this an honors program? What are the benefits? It wasn’t very clear when I looked online. Thanks

@Finalchildof3 I talked to a friend who goes to UTK and is currently in the 1794 Scholars Program and it’s an Honors program but you can have any major for it. It’s only two years long so you finish it at the end of your sophomore year (but you still keep the honors benefits even after it’s over). The requirements are that you have to get 6 service hours per semester, take a very simple 1 hour GPA booster class in your first semester, and you have to meet some “pillars” but I’ve heard all of this is really easy. Basically the main benefits I’ve heard is that 1) you get to register for your classes before everyone else and 2) you become part of the 1794 LLC which means you get to live in a better dorm (i.e. Brown) than the freshmen dorms.

Hi all,
First time here!
OOS: Illinois
Ethnicity: Mix (Caucasian/Asian)
Daughter applied 8/2019
Accepted to second choice major 10/19
Accepted to the Nursing Program 1/24/2020
ACT: 27
GPA: 4.1 (weighted)
NHS and Illinois Scholar
Still debating between UTK and another school, hope to commit in a few days! Good Luck all :slight_smile:

Welcome and congrats. What is the other school on the list? We have a lot parents in that same boat, down o 2 or 3.

@HappyNJ
It is actually top 2.5
UTK and Belmont University or ASU (that’s the .5!)

good luck!

This could be a fun exercise. Not sure if I stated specifically before. Son is down to UTK or Penn State (we are in PA).

My son has Penn State on his list too, but it has faded because most other schools have thrown him some money and we are not anticipating anything from PSU. In state PSU is a much better option!

If my son wants to do “cold weather”, Purdue is the highest on his list.

Too funny, Purdue is off our list because they didn’t throw us any money. Same with Wisconsin.

My daughter has been accepted to all the schools shes applied to but its down to UTK and UofSC. UTK has offered upfront money while UofSC did not but we’re waiting on final financial packages to come in before making the final decision. We’ve planned a visit in March to look at both schools on the same trip. I believe her heart is leaning towards UofSC but we recently got a personal note from her UTK Admission counselor that pulled on her heartstrings. This visit will be an important factor and I hope the money follows suit to her final destination.

@Slvrbill my son is in similar situation although i dont think UTK is as high up. He has gotten into 7 schools with UGA deferred and 2 more to come in the next month but i still think he is leaning towards Uof SC. We are heading down this weekend for Admitted Day so hopefully that could move him. We did received money from both schools but also got in for instate thru ACM so alot to think about for him

@jgwolf that’s great news for your son!! We’re out of state for both schools and scheduled the 2nd Admitted Day for UofSC. That’s what made us decide to combine the trip with UTK. I wanted to get her a side by side experience within a few days of each other to see what feels right. I hate to make a decision only on money but we all know that has a loud voice.

I am very interested how your kids come out of this weekend too. My son has these (2) high on his list and we are making our second round to UT Feb14/15, but USC not until April.

1 Like

D20 has it narrowed down to UTK and Clemson at this point and we have 2nd visits to both in the next few weeks. I do think UofSC could be back in the mix if they were to offer honors/merit $ but without honors Nursing is not direct admit which makes it less appealing.

@HappyNJ I will definitely get some comments onto CC somewhere along the way . I know we overlap on several schools. We wont be going to UT to visit again just due to time contstaints but I just had an email sent to me from our regional recruiter and she is having one on one meetings several times in the next month at a local Panera to answer any questions. Signed up for one next week