Class of 2024 Johns Hopkins ED

Mom of Class of 2024 student. Son has applied ED1 to Johns Hopkins and as a recruited athlete, has recd. a ‘likely letter’ (which they call early acceptance indicator letter). Little unnerving to wait till Dec 15 for the formal admissions letter. Likely letter was issued only after he submitted his common app, transcript, SAT score, course schedule, essays etc. So he has been through their academic evaluation and has also had a financial pre-read.

He did apply to, and has been accepted for admission at one of our State Flagship universities with rolling admissions, as a safety. The State University is good, but not a high choice because the major he wants is not offered with the type of courses he wants.

We are not planning to apply to any other school. Should he be applying as a backup to additional schools (just for academics, not athletics)? The likely letter is super positive and only requires maintenance of grades which I believe all schools require.

First kid heading to college. Am I getting unnecessarily stressed?

I think so. A likely letter is as good as a formal acceptance letter, barring any major drop in grades (but the same would apply to the formal letter as well).

Congratulations on the Johns Hopkins admission! Relax and enjoy the rest of your son’s senior year.

You are good! Enjoy senior year!
(And if your school has a Fall signing day for committed athletes, your kiddo is a-ok to participate!)

Thank you. I appreciate the advice! I was starting to overthink it as the Nov. 1 deadline approaches.

Thank you. He is maintaining straight A’s in all his classes because he knows mid-term reports will go out in Nov.

1 Like

Hi just wondering why the mid year report would go out in Nov. I thought it went out in Feb? Is it different timeline for recruiter athletes?

I think you are correct and I mis-read it. For some reason I thought it was “mid-semester”. I just checked and It does say mid-year on the letter. That would be end of Jan for us. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.