Class of 2024 MT Artistic Acceptance Notifications: How/When/Where

Was the letter in the portal or an email?

Happy Sunday All!

For all who received that call from BoCo earlier in the week about an official acceptance coming today, did your portals update? Wondering when to expect the No/WL updatesā€¦

The Big List from late March 2019 and all 2019 information is in [BRACKETS]. When you update for 2020, please take out the brackets and replace everything in the brackets with 2020 information. Thank you!

UPDATED: Northwestern and USC

American - 3/17/2020 email directing to portal change, though some had not email; snail mail arrived 3/20/20.
Arizona State - [3/14 and rolling via email]
Baldwin Wallaceā€“[Fall early auditions have been notified. Will notify 3/7 via email for those who auditioned after Nov.]
Ball Stateā€” 2020 rolling - email and calls to accepted students. Email for rejection or deferral to another arts program, a few weeks after audition.
Baylor - 2020 rolling - email
Belmont - [some yes and no notifications already rolling. Everyone should know March 1st via snail mail]
Boston Conservatoryā€” ED on January 31, 2020 via portal, RD no later than 4/1/2020.
BU - March 21, 2020 via portal
Carnegie Mellonā€”[Plans to notify 3/7 via Acceptd direct to portal (or just check the portal), all at once]
Catholic - [rolling]
CCMā€” 2020: Some rejections and acceptances started coming out 3/3; others told decisions would come by 4/1
Coastal Carolina University- 2020: Emails to everyone 3/12.
Columbia College Chicago - 2020: Somewhat rolling; November auditions notified within 2-3 weeks; Emails for BFA and BMus no later than 4/1/2020
Drake - [have seen at least one acceptance 3/14 - not sure if theyā€™re rolling or all at once?]
ECU-Emails 3/28
Elon - Accepted student phone calls 3/19, Noā€™s in a GetAccepted message on 3/20. Elon does not have a waitlist.
Emersonā€” 3/16/20, email directing to portal, all at once for both artistic and academic decisions.
Five Towns - 2020: Rolling, many acceptances/scholarships given on the spot
FSUā€”2020: FSU Acceptance phone calls began 2/24/20; waitlists will receive a letter in the mail; declined students will receive an email.
Hartt - February 2020: Rejections and some acceptances already rolling out. Rejections by email.
Illinois Wesleyan - [notifies via snail mail, some yeses reported last week of Feb.
Indiana (IU Bloomington) - Notifications started 3/5 via Acceptd]
Ithaca - 2020: Began sending acceptances through email directing to portal on 2/21
Jacksonville University - [3/17 email to check portal]
JMU - 2020: 3/04 for RD applicants via MyMadison portal. (Unsure of 2020 EA notification dates. previous information said EA notification was 3/01)
LIU/Postā€” 2/10/2020, rolling, snail mail and email
Manhattan School of Musicā€” 2/24/2020
Marymount Manhattan - 2020 update: They try to send email notifications to check portal within 2 weeks of the audition, sometimes much sooner. Digital auditions will not receive a decision until sometime in March.
Michiganā€”[February 28 acceptance via phone call; portal change for others - notify all at once]
Minnesota Duluth - [email from head of the program - rolling?]
Millikin - 2020 update: acceptances rolling, snail mail
Missouri State - [rolling, via email]
Montclair - Rolling notifications starting 2/18/20, theyā€™re still auditioning through 3/28. Portal updated before letters/emails are sent.
Molloy/CAP21ā€” Acceptances and waitlists sent to everyone via email on March 2nd. Rejections sent a few days before by snail mail.
Muhlenberg - [decisions for ED 1 in Dec, ED 2 by Feb 28, and] RD March 18 - email notification to check portal
Nebraska Wesleyan - 2020: Acceptances are going out through snail mail, still auditioning
Northern Coloradoā€”[rolling]
Northern Kentuckyā€”rolling
Northwesternā€” 3/24 email directing to portal, all at once
NYUā€” [3/28 via portal, everyone, all at once]
OCU ā€”[rolling now, via email]
Ohio Northern - 2020 update: confirmed snail mail decisions week of 2/24 [rolling]
Ohio University - 2020 Update: Confirm rolling notifications for this year (email followed by snail mail) - last year - rolling notifications - have head of a few acceptance phone calls thus far
Otterbein - 2020: Rejects sent by email, others still under consideration notified also
Paceā€” Phone calls to accepted students started on 3/4/2020; email directing to portal for no and WL decision 3/13/20
Penn State - [starting updating portal 2/14; started notifications for accepted students 2/26]
Point Parkā€”2020: 3/11 Emails to everyone.
Rider - 2020 notifications are rolling usually within 4 weeks of audition and in their portal. You get an email to let you know the portal is updated and snail mail letter to follow. They will let you know yes, no or maybe category where you will be waitlisted and updated later on as they start hearing back from their acceptances. [Portal change beginning 2/11/19. Definite Y to be posted on the portal and mailed out before 2/21; Committee meets 2/21 to discuss remaining applicants and then everyone else notified 1st of March 2019 via snail mail]
Roosevelt/CCPAā€” 2020 Check portal, notifications through portal as early as March 6.
SCAD - 2020 rolling admission; audition only for scholarship
Shenandoahā€”2020 around 3/2-3/6 via phone call (for acceptances); email for waitlist. Last day of auditions is 2/22, then will decide and call before their spring break 3/6.
SUNY Cortland [1/30/19 email]
Syracuseā€”3/13/20 first wave via email (not MySlice), decisions were sent in waves last three weekends of March last year
SMU - 2020: rolling via email
SE Missouri St-[Rolling, via email]
TCU - [Notifications started 3/5 via email]
Templeā€” 2020 rolling - portal update for academic and artistic admit, email for artistic admit (some have not gotten email for artistic, just saw portal change)
Texas Stateā€”2020 phone calls began 2/23. Phone calls to accepted students. rolling once auditions are complete, they meet each weekend and send notifications the following week. Could go late into April. They do not admit extra to yield fewer. If accepted students decline new calls will go out.
UArtsā€” 2020: Rolling, taking longer than last year. 2-3 weeks after an audition to send snail mail. Portal does not update.
UAB - [email notification]
UAZā€” 2/18/20 calls began for acceptances, updates to portal for rejections began 2/24
University of Miamiā€”[3/22, via portal, all at once - navigate to the letter under ā€œstudent centerā€ and then ā€œmessage center.ā€]
U Central Ok - 2020: Greg expects offers to go out around 3/6
University of OK - [changed to prescreens and auditions this year - notifications will be a few more weeks - 4/1?]
Utahā€”[notifications going out now (early March) via email mail and then rolling]
UC Irvine - 3/20 via portal, all at once
UCLA - 3/20 via portal, all at once
UNCG - [Everyone should know March 15 ā€œgive or take a dayā€ phone call: 3/11]
UNCSA - 2020: Calls to accepted students started 2/23/20, emails direct to portal for ā€œnoā€ decision started 02/25/20 [W/L believed to be notified via snail mail or phone call]
USC - 3/26 email notification to portal,all at once; no mail this year due to COVID-19
U Wisconsin Stevens Point - 2020 email to all auditionees between 3/7 - 3/13
Viterboā€” 2020 via email, rolling now
Wagner - 3/12/20 = Yes calls not happening this year due to Coronavirus; all decisions via snail mail; not all letters sent at once; last wave sent out 3/17-ish (received 3/21)
Websterā€” 2020 - offers will be mailed end of March to be received about April 1st
West Virginia University-2020: calls to accepted students 2/26
Western CT Stateā€”2020- snail mail notifications began to be mailed on/around 3/12/2020
Western Michigan - [3/20 - notifications rolling calls for acceptances, email for anything else]
Wright St - [discontinued rolling admission this year. Last audition day was 2/24, has started notifying 2/26]
Xavier ā€” [Emailing acceptances now - 3/1]

@NeensMom and all re: BoCo - hang in there, itā€™s almost April 1. AT MOST only a few more days to go. There will be more yes updates, too! Our yes came on 3/30 in the evening two years ago. No call. email to check the portal.

@NeensMom Nothing updated today for us on the BoCo portal.

@StanfordAI2019, if you are willing to share, when you say youā€™ve gotten more money is that in additional scholarships or grants or in loans? Can you share what you asked for/how you asked for it in your letters? I filled out the calculator you linked to and the ā€œfamily shareā€ of two of them is twice that of the others. Is that what we should point out? You obviously know what you are doing here, so Iā€™m grateful for any guidance you can provide.

@ElizaDoolittle ā€“ okay. Just to be clear. This is my first time doing this too. My D is the oldest of 4, so maybe in a couple of years, Iā€™ll be an expert. For now, Iā€™m just feeling my way through with trial and error.

Here is what Iā€™ve found ā€“ every school on our ā€˜short list,ā€™ we have gone back to to renegotiate where offers have come up short compared to other schoolsā€¦compared to those on or off our short lists.

Although some negotiation will be on ā€˜need.ā€™ Iā€™m not qualified to discuss that dynamic, but I can say that Iā€™ve found the two most important metrics schools look at when they are evaluating ā€˜theirā€™ offer vs other schools are:

1. % Award that is Gift Aid ā€“ comparative
  2. % Award that is Loan-- comparative

These two factors normalize for absolute tuition costs vs. offer. (e.g. a $20K offer from Pace would be less beneficial than a $15K offer from Missouri State, for instance)

Every school weā€™ve approached with a formal letter, plus this table has awarded anything from an additional $1,500 to $6,000 per year. While this may not be monumental, it is somethingā€¦and over 4 years, can add up. My Dā€™s SAT score was not awesome. [She has an LD and is bad with tests], so her negotiating power on the academic side was limited. For those who have high SAT score x GPA combos may have more success on the academic side of the award equation. All her additional funds have been ā€˜artisticā€™ based.

Others may have better approaches that have worked for them that may have yielded greater results, but this is what Iā€™ve found that works for us.

Hope this helps.

I think this year is the first year they are doing calls. Disheartening to hear about the calls. They told the ā€œyesā€ kids they would get the official email today. So Iā€™m assuming my D is a no.

The good people on this board seem to appreciate my Dā€™s humor / comments, so I figured Iā€™d share this one that came from her at dinner tonight:

ā€œIf I take an improv class in college, will the professor have a prepared lesson plan?ā€

@StanfordAI2019 - curious if you have managed to get higher offers from ā€œstateā€ schools vs private schools? I feel like the state schools donā€™t seem to have that kind of negotiation power that private schools have. My kidā€™s top schools are state schools and are both fairly closeā€¦then there is one other state school that is significantly less expensive, even within the same state. I got the feeling from reading other posts that state schools, generally donā€™t budge much. Thanks for any insight you can share!

I have heard from friends that the best way to get money - in general, is to reach out like @StanfordAI2019 mentioned and then wait until the very end. At this moment schools have divided up their scholarships and there is probably no extra - however as time passes and students decline the school and the scholarship money becomes available.

My gut feeling - not based on anything but instinct is that this year is going to be a tough year to negotiate unless your circumstances have really changed. I am sure there are a lot of people whose parents own a business or have now found themselves out of work and what they reported to the schools financially is not reflective of this yearā€™s income.

If you are a person in this situation, I would also add that narrative.

What virus? :slight_smile:

I feel like several schools (Texas State and Montclair State to name two) will give MT students in-state tuition. From my experience (my son went to Montclair), just getting in-state tuition was better financially than private schools that offered a bunch of aid. YMMV.

OCU we were told by a student at the audition uses the dance audition for dance level placement purposes once admitted. The admission is based on the vocal. & acting portion. This has been confirmed from several other sources.

@Ontheverge - thatā€™s a great question. I agree with @TexasMTDad that ā€˜someā€™ will offer in state tuition. Those where MT is a more on the ā€˜eliteā€™ side most likely. I only have one state school we petitioned, and their counter offer was on the lower side. Also agree with @DivaStageMom that waiting helps. Especially now!

NYU will be releasing decisions at noon eastern today! Good luck to all the folks waiting on that as their last school to hear from!!! FYI - decisions are on the portal before the email comes out. The Albert portal will go down briefly and then will come back up and you can sign in to see the decision. All schools are released at the same time. Crossing fingers!

NYU decisions are starting to roll out, according to the thread on the NYU page. Good luck to everyone!

anyone have an idea of when BoCo MT is coming out?

Portal update here for NYU Tisch MT onlyā€“itā€™s a no for S, and given current situation, Iā€™m pretty relieved. Not surprising, of course.