Class of 2024 National Merit Discussion

Yes - I’m saying I agree with you.

I set a $50K budget and I probably would have put the $$ offers out there but would have kept my commitment to my kids. My one kid went to one of the more generous schools anyway - by choice.

And I don’t know if there’s data - but I’m guessing most NMS are more affluent than not.

I was just noting - for some, they pursue the $$ because it will help their families. Not looking to debate.

I agree with what you said - you sent your kids to what they felt was the best place for them.

1 Like

I think that at some of the large state schools that there is a huge difference between the school having academic peers for high achievers and the high achievers being able to locate said peers. State schools aren’t large ponds; some of them are oceans! One of our top considerations in my DD’s search was how easy it would be for my DD to find and connect with other students like her. As you alluded to above, the number of NMS was one of the imperfect metrics we used. And I think that the methods we employed worked out rather well as my DD has had no trouble finding her people.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking in particular of your following comment: “I always wonder if it might mean (at least a little) something if you are a NMSF from NJ/DC/MA… I can’t imagine AOs view NMSF from NJ = NMFS from MO.” I don’t think it would be fair for an AO to view them differently without knowing their SI since depending on the particular instance, the kid from MO might have a higher SI than the kid from NJ.

We did not put any financial cap on our kid’s undergraduate education. We weren’t stupid, and did certainly take cost and value into consideration. Truth be told we might have hesitated if we were expected to be full pay at younger s’s college, but he knew very early on (at that time- in October of his senior year) that he’d already been offered a large tuition discount (which was increased to full tuition scholarship when he won a bigger scholarship later) so it was a non issue. We might have felt it wasn’t “worth it” at full pay, but we knew early on he wouldn’t be full pay so no matter, and he only completed one or 2 other applications after that one.

But this is all a moot point for this discussion. My point here, as a parent of 2 NMS kids, is, they will find their people at most schools, regardless of the # of other NMS’s that attend. Most of the non elite schools offer merit scholarships, so there will always be bright kids at most every school.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree that selective schools would have a higher pool of NMF if they tracked it and so it is not as much of a big deal in that it does not make an applicant stand out. However, I think (and this is something I would to get people’s opinion on) that in a test blind world liating NMSF/NMF as an honor would be noticed, the UC’s are all test blind and I think so is Columbia and some schools within Cornell. And if an applicant lists NMF/NMSF but does not submit test scores in a test optional world I think it would be a red flag.

You are absolutely right, once you have found peers on your wavelength, it doesn’t matter. But for some students (perhaps introverted ones? I’m not sure…) finding those peers isn’t a given. For those particular students, an honors dorm can make a big difference. It’s not about sitting around talking about what scholarships you have or haven’t received. It’s about finding like-minded peers and having access to classes and mentorship opportunities that are geared to serious students.

1 Like

Totally agree. But as you said, this can be accomplished in an honors college, where it may not matter if a student is a NMS, but simply that they qualified for the honors program. Sort of akin to colleges that have themed dorms, so students can find their “people” based on the college dorm theme they select.

And older s, who was extremely shy/introverted (still has to really push himself to be social) attended a college with residential colleges. No “honors dorm” or the like, but the residential college system offers a great opportunity for cohesion. Highly recommend these schools.

Bottom line for us, speaking as having 2 NMS kids, they didn’t choose schools looking at that metric. At all. They looked for schools and programs that offered what they were looking for (size, programs/majors, etc) where they felt they fit (we visited them). Neither wanted any big U (we looked, they hated them). That’s just not the experience they wanted. They only considered small and midsized schools. And neither wanted a greek life. So while academic peers are of course important, IMO they will be at most schools, regardless of the SMS award.

How did she find the other NMS? Or was it moreso the honors programs she was in?

Fair point. You are correct and it was not my intention do devalue anyone’s accomplishments.

A red flag?

1 Like

You mean if someone was NMSF and did not have a high enough score that they felt comfortable submitting?

You know. You can go to a public university, not be in the honors dorm, not be a NMS, and still find friends who are serious students. And who can become lifelong friends.

My undergrad school was a public and not the flagship. I have great friends from that time who became well regarded professionals. A couple are names or had jobs that you would recognize. None were NMS, honors college etc. But they had goals they achieved and worked hard to get there.

In my opinion having national merit status, or being on the honors college aren’t the only important metric when choosing colleges.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if Fordham gives out application fee waivers to NMSF? And would they just come in an email? The last time I got emails from them was 2021, before they suddenly stopped, so I’m worried that I unsubscribed and will not receive a fee waiver email (if it exists).

Unsure. I remember paying the fee for my kid to apply to Fordham, so either they don’t give out waivers or we missed the offer. Not sure which one, sorry.

My D received an email from Fordham with a fee waiver on Monday. It did not mention NMSF though she will be one based on her SI.

1 Like

My S has gotten many emails with a fee waiver from Fordham. (And the condenses is that he will not make the nmsf cut off) have your child sign up for updates with them and read the emails carefully. The fee waver can be hard to find.

2 Likes

Is that not for National Hispanic Recognition Program?

Definitely not

1 Like

That’s good news. My son got a waiver for being NHRP. If they give waivers also based on shown interest that is excellent. I wonder how many other schools do that. It might me worth signing up for updates (info request) at other universities also.

1 Like

It absolutely is. Chicago, WUSTL. Many schools give. W&L is another.

Some give also for going to sessions.

1 Like