Class of 2024 National Merit Discussion

Yep— Here ya go:

If you felt your test performance was negatively affected for any reason and you do not want
your 2023 PSAT/NMSQT Selection Index score used for participation in the 2025 National
Merit Program, you must contact NMSC immediately, but no later than 10 days following
the test administration to submit a formal request. Requests received after 10 days will not
be considered.

Maybe I misread. But the student won’t move on to NMF status without a corroborating SAT or ACT score.

Aside from the Cornelll colleges (not listed here) here are a few that popped up as test blind:

• California Institute of Technology
  • California State University (all campuses)
  • Loyola University New Orleans
  • Pitzer College
  • Hampshire College
  • Northern Illinois University
  • University of California system
  • University of New England
  • Sarah Lawrence College

If its wrong, yell at Bing, not me :wink:

The confirming score is the same for everyone and set around the commended cutoff. it is also much easier to hit that SI on the SAT since you are working of 40 points.

Also, finalists are not announced until February, after all apps are in and after ED/EA decisions.

I bet NMSF Award is very valuable in a test blind application.

2 Likes

". About 95% (over 15,000)
of the Semifinalists are expected to become Finalists "

And many applicants write something like "probable/anticipated finalist’ (or something more diplomatic) on their application

I have wondered about this.
Do you think test blind schools give some consideration to NMSF status? Or disregard it to be consistent with their test blind policy?

I also do not know of a single T-200 school where more than 50% of the admitted class did not submit test scores.

I’m not sure how many schools release the % of admitted students who submitted scores (anyone aware of a list?), but naturally the enrolled % of submitters is lower, as TO students are more likely to yield than submitters. Accordingly, there are quite a number of schools where, per IPEDS, their fall 2022 enrolled freshman class had 50% or fewer submit scores, just adding the % of enrolled students who submitted for SAT and ACT, assuming no overlap (forgive me if there are typos):
USC 50, Tulane 50, Lehigh 50, UConn 50, Michigan State 50, U Denver 50, U South Carolina 50, Yeshiva 48, Drexel 48 U Minnesota 47, Marquette 47, Loyola Chicago 47, Virginia Tech 46, GWU 46, SUNY Stony Brook 46, Penn State 45, CU Boulder 45, Northeastern 44, Howard 44, NJIT 44, Villanova 43, St Louis U 43, American 42, U Arizona 42, Gonzaga 41, U Rochester 39, SMU 38, TCU 38, NYU 37, Syracuse 37, Fordham 37, SUNY Buffalo 37, Boston Univ 35, UMass Amherst 35, U Illinois Chicago 35, Fairfield U 33, Loyola Marymount 30, Pepperdine 29, U Delaware 29, Clark 26, U San Francisco 25, U Washington 24, U Oregon 17, Elon 3

1 Like

I feel like it’s a slippery slope - some awards are considered, others are not…? Can they consider a Math Olympiad Award? My answer is completely speculative, but they must consider it on some level.

1 Like

At top schools, athletes account for a very large chunk of non-submitters. When you factor in FGLI and otherwise hooked kids I believe the number of unhooked accepted TO students to be quite negligible.

2 Likes

They cap each section at 38 points so you do not get any benefit for anything above 38 on a section for Alternative entry but they allow the extra points for a confirming SAT.

Correct. It is just easier to get a 38 in the SAT were is a little wiggle room, vs a perfect score in the PSAT. Basically the reason why the MD cutoff was 224 two years ago.

3 Likes

224, that’s brutal

No kidding. But the two largest counties cancelled the PSAT entirely and instructed students to submit alternate entry. Most MD NMSF come from those counties anyway but that also set the cutoff for DC, students abroad and many Boarding Schools.

Am I correct that Univ Central Florida no longer offers any sort of NM scholarship for OOS? I’m not seeing it on their site, but thought people were talking about it in the spring for OOS.

I just saw another NMF scholarship I haven’t seen talked about. Texas Tech offers full cost of attendance (food, books, travel, etc.) to all NMFs and their honors program has some interesting aspects like Day 1 paid research for undergraduates in any field ($10 per hour up to 10 hours per week in their Undergraduate Research Scholars program).

(My father was a farm boy from Texas and majored in chemistry at TT and then won a Fulbright and got a PhD and spent a career at the National Laboratories, so it’s another option for those who are seeking opportunities where they can get a great education for cheap.)

9 Likes

It looks like a 3.5 GPA is needed to maintain. This can be steep GPA for engineering and certain STEM related degrees.

3 Likes

But check the “probationary” periods. I know at my son’s school it would have been hard to lose it early.

My D met the cut-off in Washington State at a 222, but only scored a 1510 on the SAT which was taken one time. Does the scores collaborate enough for finalist consideration or do they need to take the SAT again?

Has Arizona State discontinued their NM scholarship? I’m not able to find it.