Class of 2024 National Merit Discussion

Is the fee waiver UA or majority if Alabama schools??

2 Likes

I was speaking specifically about UA. I do not know what the rest of the Alabama colleges and universities do.

1 Like

Anyone from any state heard about anything about cutoffs yet? I believe a few states had heard something around this time last yearā€¦

1 Like

I think that the most likely release date will be Wednesday, September 13. We are getting close, but we still have to wait a tiny bit longer! Some cutoffs will be able to be determined slightly ahead of that date as homeschoolers receive their letters and report their scores.

1 Like

I think the press release date is the 13th. Iā€™m hopeful the actual cutoffs will leak out starting this week. In past years they have been ā€œrevealedā€ starting the last week of August, so hopefully weā€™ll hear something this week. (Also, my son is homeschooled so I hope we get his letter this week!)

5 Likes

Keep us posted - are you in Massachusetts?

1 Like

Yes :grin: Iā€™ll let you all know as soon as I know something

3 Likes

It looks like there is news this week!

Compass reports Florida cutoff is 216.

8 Likes

A bunch of random questions

From the 2023 thread: ā€œIf a student designates a first choice college in their portal March 1st, they can change it at anytime. NMSC will continue to notify colleges of the change on a rolling basis through May 31st. NMF should post the college they plan to attend, even if it is not one that grants NM scholarships.ā€ Curious if anyone knows, suppose a student puts School A as first choice by March 1st, then on, say, March 8th changes it to School B. How do the mechanics of this work, does School A find out that they are no longer first choice for this student?

So far, I am only aware of BU requiring first choice designation by March 1, though certainly there could be other schools. Generally, I am wondering whether there is any possible role of first choice designation as a show of interest that could potentially impact admissions.

USCā€™s process, do I understand this correctly? USC requires applying EA for merit. But, NM finalists are not announced until after USC announces its EA admits, who generally have been awarded merit scholarships. For NM applicants who will be admitted to USC, does USC tend to admit in January without scholarship and then award the NM scholarship later, or defer the NM applicants to RD? Or it can go either way?

It can go either way. Some NM are admitted early. They are guaranteed the 1/2 tuition Presidential scholarship and can interview for the full tuition Trustee scholarship. Many NM are admitted RD and receive the 1/2 tuition Presidential.

3 Likes

Sounds like it makes sense to assume deferral to RD as the most likely scenario. (sigh.)

More questions. Northeastern:

In order to be eligible for the Northeastern National Merit Finalist Scholarship, National Merit Finalists must be admitted to Northeastern and should designate Northeastern University-Boston as their college choice (regardless of their enrollment opportunity) to the National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC) by the priority deadline of April 2nd, 2023. We will award our first group of scholarships in early March to students who were admitted Early Action or Early Decision. Please note that finalists who list Northeastern after the priority deadline are eligible for the scholarship, but are not guaranteed to receive notification of the scholarship from Northeastern prior to May 1, 2023.

If Northeastern is awarding the first group of NM scholarships in early March, a NM applicant admitted EA would then need to put Northeastern as first choice by March 1 in order to be included in that group, correct? Forcing a March 1 choice between BU and Northeastern for a student admitted to Northeastern EA but hasnā€™t heard back from BU RD.

(I need to continue reading old threads, though I figure I might as well collect these questions here.)

One more for today, BU: ā€œSubmitting the FAFSA and CSS Profile is recommendedā€

Is this a typo, as itā€™s not included on the NM scholarship detail page (at the ā€œLearn Moreā€ button)? Or does BU prefer to give this to applicants with financial need? Iā€™ll see what I can find out.

Also BU, do most NM applicants also apply for the trustee scholarship (involving an extra essay)? Is this necessary as a show of interest? (I am assuming the trustee scholarships are difficult to get.)

Ohio homeschool. Got our NMSF letter yesterday. This is #2 NMF/ NMSF for us and such a HUGE HUGE HUGE blessing! First one is loving Univ Alabama engineering. Happy to answer questions.

4 Likes

Curious about the index - do you know the cutoff?

@MAmomto4 what about you guys? Did you hear anything? What about you guys? What is your ā€˜24s index?

No news yet. S24 has a 221, so right on the border for Massachusetts

1 Like

You will only get something if he makes it, correct? Do you think the cutoff was higher?

I think if he doesnā€™t make a national merit semi finalist, we will still get a thing saying he is commended, so Iā€™m expecting something in the mail either way. My S23 last year was commended (SI of 210 so we knew he wasnā€™t in the running for semi finalist) and we got a letter and certificate.

3 Likes

Yes, only 20-25% are admitted EA.

2 Likes

Thank you :). For a brief second, I thought you meant that the EA acceptance rate was 20-25% and I thought wow, lol. For the peanut gallery: thatā€™s the percent of the class admitted EA. I see the overall acceptance rate is around 12% per the class profile and EA is 5.9% per the admissions blog.

Edit, I just realized I was looking at data from two different class years, with the overall rate from the Profile being class of 2026 and the EA rate from the blog being class of 2027. Overall acceptance rate for class of 2027 was 9.9% per the blog.