Class of 2024 National Merit Discussion

Letter received by school in CA and news passed on to student by college counselor. 223 was the index. We were pretty sure she made it, but nice to get that confirmation.

5 Likes

@PezLori Was your student’s index 223, or the CA cutoff 223?

Student’s. Sorry that wasn’t clear. I’ll attempt to edit my comment or reply to myself to make it clear.

Adding that 223 was student’s SI, not CA cutoff. Sorry for any confusion.

1 Like

Thanks! Hoping CA cutoff is lower as my student’s index is 222. Congratulations to your student!

Confident it will be! My guess is 220!

My son SI is 220. No idea what the Ohio cut off is.

1 Like

Our daughter has an SI of 223. She is in the U.S. citizen studying abroad category. A few questions (our first time) - if the highest SI is set at 223 would she still qualify or does she have to get higher than 223? What are the chances of the highest SI being at 224 or 225. Lastly, if mail is slow to reach abroad, on September 13th can she or can we her parents call nmsc to receive the login so she can meet the October deadline? Thank you so much!

To qualify you have to have an index that is equal to or greater than the cut off. 224 is not impossible but unlikely. We are on the same boat so waiting anxiously.

1 Like

FWIW, Compass estimated the cutoff for Ohio to be 216 (range estimate of 214 to 218) and for Studying Abroad to be 223 (range estimate of 221 to 224).

2 Likes

Awesome and congratulations, thanks for sharing. Looks like my son will also make the cut. Communication, letters etc. seem to take a much longer time at his very large public school

1 Like

I think I made it to NMSF. But the issue is that I had a rough freshman year, which included Bs in all classes and C+ in both semesters of AP Computer Science Principles. I heard from reddit that very few cases with more than one C make it to NMF. Is there anything I can do at this point besides pray? My resume and 10th-11th grades are ok, but nothing exceptional especially when compared to this high achieving group of students (my chance me is here, with minor updates)

Nothing wrong with nmsf. And Tulsa gives a full ride. Not bad. The President says 25% of this year’s class was Natl Merit Scholars.

I have several state schools which give an additional scholarship + guaranteed honors college admission only to NMF, so I’m wondering if there is something I should do in the essay or application process which can mitigate the multiple C’s

Your grades are your grades. There’s nothing you could or should do.

Some have great deals (like a Bama, UTD, Maine). Some still have great deals - probably all three of those.

Tulsa is a flat out full ride.

Some give a few extra $$ to NMF or NMSF.

Some give none.

But your record is your record. There is nothing to explain. You got Cs - why? It doesn’t matter.

In the past, NMSC was kind enough to verify NMSF status when people called.

You gotta take your shot. There are plenty of people who advanced with a C. I don’t work for NMSC, but I would imagine a C your freshman year would come across better than a C your junior year.

1 Like

It looks like Art is watching here. He has reported the 223 in CA and the 220 in Ohio on his blog.

My son’s school doesn’t report until press release day, so we have a little bit longer to wait. His SSI will be above our state cutoff, but since he applied through AE, I want to see something that makes it official. This is a different kind of waiting than we had with our daughter (qualified through the PSAT and was safely above the state cutoff, but in the height of C19 when AE was doing crazy things to cutoffs).

2 Likes

S24 had an index score of 226 so even for California it’s safe to assume he qualifies. His school won’t reveal anything until mid September however, so will continue waiting.

4 Likes

If you look up just a bit, you’ll see that 223 made it in CA, and Art has updated his blog accordingly. Congrats to your son, that is an incredible score!

5 Likes

Compass is reporting New Jersey at 223, and that this is likely to be the highest cut off so the one that applies to US citizens studying abroad. As long as that holds true, it looks like your daughter makes the cut off! :tada: