Class of 2024 Regular Decision Thread

It is that time of year again!

lol I submitted my application three weeks ago and I am SO NERVOUS!! I really really want to get into UMICH its such a great school!

Hi everyone! I am a current sophomore at UMICH. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!

@mbeste Hello!

I am a high school senior attending a rigorous high school in Newton, Massachusetts. I have double legacy, and most of my family has attended the University of Michigan. As such, it has always been my dream to attend UMich and it is my top choice by far.

I was just wondering what your experience was like with the admissions process? I know most applicants get deferred due to the volume of applications UMich gets, so I was hoping for some tips on boosting my chances after being deferred (assuming I do actually get deferred). Specifically, I would like advice regarding the letter of continued interest, and what UMich might be looking for in it.

Additionally, what is the situation surrounding the waitlist at Michigan? I know many people at my school who are applying to UMich as a backup, meaning that most of them will most likely not enroll should they get accepted. I was wondering if a situation such as this one boosts my chances, if I get on the waitlist, of being acceptedlater on?

Thank you!

I suppose I’ll make my way over here after being deferred. Michigan is one of my top schools so I’m gonna try again and hope I find out some good news soon!

@dpetway Awesome that you’ve posted over here. I was contemplating setting up a new “Deferred Thread” like last year, but this RD thread works fine since everyone deferred is now in the RD pool.

I did track stats/posts here during the RD waves last year. I’ll repost.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Hello everyone.
I was deferred at CoE
I had a 33 ACT, 1520 SAT
3.92 unweighted GPA, 4.5 weighted GPA
OOS from Texas but my family is from Michigan and both of my parents graduated from UM. Michigan is my top choice and I really want to go there. Ive visited Ann Arbor many times since I was little and have wanted to apply there from a very young age. I have grown up rooting for Michigan in sports due to my father and I can’t really imagine going anywhere else. Should I include this in my LOCI? Basically I’m wondering what I need to do so that do they know I’m really interested and would accept if they gave me an offer.

That is super helpful! I was deferred today and submitted my LOCI. Someone said their friend was accepted just a week after their deferral last year. Is this possible or is not until February that deferred students will start hearing back?

I believe last year deadline for RD was feb 1 and this year RD ends on jan 1. Is it mean we are going to get result faster than last year? @sushiritto

@Cookiemonster18 I can’t remember anyone receiving a decision one week after EA. But CC is a small sample. It’s the holidays the next two weeks, so I’m not even sure the admissions office has anyone working the next couple of weeks.

Here on CC, the timing of the RD waves were roughly 2/1, 3/1 and 4/1 (Thursday night/Friday mornings). There were a couple of decisions in between these dates, here or there, during that time period, but the overwhelming majority of RD decisions were in those 3 waves.

I’d contact your UM admissions counselor, or an AO in the UM office, or have your HS GC call or write, and tell them you’re coming, if accepted. Just my own opinion, but I think you’ll eventually get in, but that’s just me.

A deferred legacy does go to show you that legacy status doesn’t give the same boost as it did in the past.

I just checked. 2/1 is the RD deadline.

My son was deferred today and is pretty upset. Applied to Kinesiology. Did the program visit in addition to general visit and this really is his dream school

1500 sat and 4.3 gpa
Good but not great ec’s because he needs to work being from a single parent household First generation college student

Any idea on what he needs to say in loci? Or should he just move on to good back up schools ?

Thanks

lets go deferred gang :smiley:

For those who applied for EA, is there anyone who got rejected? It seems like people were either accepted or post phoned(I guess this means deferred)

Spend sometime on the Loci. They gave you something to fill out. Try to write a thoughtful response. If it’s your number 1 sure let them know but so will everyone else. Try to set yourself apart and don’t repeat your essays. Dig deeper.

People are accepted on February 1st the past few years but you might not be accepted till April. Hang in there… It can be worth the wait.

Happy Holidays.

For all of you who have been deferred, the portal says “Please note: Given the high volume of applicants to the University of Michigan, this form is the only expression of continued interest that will be considered. Therefore, additional information/communications sent outside of this form will not be added to your application.”

I take it that you have 250 words to explain why you want to go and an additional LOCI through email will do nothing to improve chances. Can someone please provide more information on what this message means in relation to sending a LOCI? Thanks

@hotsauce240. It seems that they have changed what they have done in the past. They used to say don’t send any additional information till asked but of course many sent LOCI anyway and tests scores etc.

So… Take this as face value. There’s nothing to read into this. Do exactly what they are asking for. Don’t go over 250. I think there’s a link also to have your counselors send in your current grades also. Don’t send anything else unless they ask for it.

Spend sometime on the new formated LOCI. Get it out in a week or two.

Good Luck.

You can’t go over 250. I just finished mine. Is just like the common app, need to fit in the 250 limit.

@Knowsstuff I figure timing matters a lot here. I have competitions and award notifications in Mid-January, should I send a LOCI if I receive these awards? Will it be factored in? By this point in time, I would have already sent in the 250-word supplement