Class of 2024 Regular Decision Thread

Very disappointing. Colleges are building a class and many of these decisions don’t make “sense” to us. I’m guessing your child has some excellent scholarships at other schools.

Sorry- I forgot the @ on above comments. I tried, but can’t edit them.

@gummybear202 I would ask the girl from your school to officially notify Michigan.

When will they let waitlisted students know?

D received an email to apply to LSA Honors today. Can anyone shed light on this? Are they really accepting people so late? She was deferred EA then accepted last week.

@kdkdkdkdkd I also have the feeling that UMich waitlisted many OOS applicants this year because of the coronavirus. There have been rumors than many colleges are going to be accepted for in-state students than out-of-state students because less people will be willing to come from OOS with all this going on. Just looking through this thread, it seems like most OOS students were waitlisted. I think if your son shows sends a letter saying that he will go to UMich if he gets in, he will have a high chance of being accepted.

does anyone know how selective the four-year renewable lsa scholarships are? i’m oos and a scholarship could really help me, but my stats are relatively low (still surprised i got in!)

I just checked my applicant portal and it says “This Application is Currently Being Updated.
Please Check Back Soon.” Has this happened to anyone else?

@Allerena17 did you hear back yet?

Yes.
They admit monthly. Honors at Michigan is different than some other schools. She can also wait and apply later after she starts.

@Allerena17 it says that for me too

@College5683 No not yet

I was accepted to Michigan School of Kinesiology as a sport management major last wave (3/27). I applied preferred admission to the School of Information and was just wondering when to expect a decision on that. How long does it usually take for preferred admission decisions to be released after an acceptance??

does anyone have any idea where to send a letter of continued interest? i asked my local representative and she ignored the question…

Usually it’s to your local rep but if not then just admission office and they will put in your file.

Has anyone received pre-admittance to the school of education yet? It’s also known as the TEPA program?

Hey, I’m trying to decide between Michigan, Cornell, and USC. I’m worried about how big Michigan is. Do you ever struggle to get into classes or feel like the University doesn’t view you individually because of how many other students there are?

@evorrrr
This might be a better question for a UMich student group.
My son is a student at UMich and loves it, but I can’t speak to your specific questions.
He also applied to USC and had a hard time deciding which would be the better “fit” for him. In the end, the fact that he got in-state tuition at UMich was the deciding factor.
These are three great school with similar rankings (if you care about that), so it really comes back to which one you’re most comfortable at, think about the “vibe” of each school, and also consider geography- if any of these schools is near you that may be a bigger bonus than you are thinking as a high school student. My son wanted to get out of Michigan, but now he appreciates the convenience of things like moving into an apartment as an upper classman when you can bring your bed from home or even more importantly, if there’s a family emergency, he’s not too far away.

Surprisingly, I just got an acceptance to Lehigh only one week after being put on the waitlist. I am also on the Umich waitlist and I’m wondering if there will be a similarly quick turnaround.

First, as a freshman, try to get an earlier registration date, although they do reserve spots in classes for later freshman registrants.

Yes, there are some instances where the most popular classes at popular times will be full by the time you register. But if you’re willing to take an early or late class, then that’ll alleviate some of the issues.

You may be able to get off the waitlist since there’s much movement in the first week or two of classes. Or the university often opens new sections, where possible.

Another alternative is you take a class that’s approved for being taken out of sequence. For example, Bio 171/172/173. Most freshman will take Bio 171 first, but you can take Bio 172 first. Then Bio 171 in the Winter semester. One class doesn’t rely on the other.

The vast majority of the time, you won’t have much of an issue getting your classes, especially since UMich is constantly adding facilities. Remodeled student union will open other spaces around campus:

https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/2020/01/a-look-inside-the-newly-renovated-michigan-union.html

New Biological Sciences building:

https://lsa.umich.edu/ummnh/about/biological-sciences-building.html

For the Fall of 2021:

https://record.umich.edu/articles/new-central-campus-building-include-innovative-classrooms/