Class of 2024 Regular Decision Thread

I applied early action in state to LSA and I’m still deferred. My gpa is good but my SAT/ACT aren’t the best. I have pretty good extracurriculars, decent essays, 3 letters of recommendation, and I filled out the LOCI. Does anyone have suggestions about what I could do to improve my chances or if you think i’m likely to get in? Thank you and good luck to anyone still waiting!!

@kammm2001. You know you provided absolutely no concrete information here. No GPA and no stats and nothing about you. What your highest math /science was and what your intended major is.

Hope your essays had much more detail.

Does anyone know when decisions for stamps will be coming out? Have people who applied already heard back?

hi! i applied rd nuring to umich also, but i did not get an decision in the feb wave:(
may i askforyour act/sat/subjects scores? thank you so much!

@taz9000 My daughter is still waiting on Stamps too :frowning: I have not seen any acceptances either. Good luck!

@cweiny My DS applied EA for CoE and was deferred and not a peep since December. I have not really seen the numbers but at least in the small microcosm of CC the number of people who heard anything from CoE seemed low. That is absolutely unscientific for sure.

anyone hear from Journalism?

hi, i’ve been looking at this forum for a while but never posted.
i was deferred EA to LSA (preferred admission school of education)
gpa- 4.12
act- 30, 33
no sat
ap tests- lang 4, bio 4
in-state female
towards the top of class, nothing like valedictorian though!
my common app essay was strong, i think my weakest essay was my why michigan so i assume that gave me a hint about why i was deferred
any idea why some people are accepted in smaller waves and not the big ones? also, should i expect a waitlist/deny since it has been this long?
thanks guys (: and good luck!

On 3/27 remaining will hear accept, waitlist or deny so much depends on their current yield of acceptances no way to know. We all should have a solid back up at this point hope for the best and prep for worst.

I’m also oos kinesiology and still waiting

I feel like it will be a name pick out from the hat for the last wave…

@Kkkhh888

Hi! I somehow forgot to mention my ACT score in that post but my highest composite was a 31 (UMich does NOT superscore). My subscores were 35 math, 30 science, 33 reading, and 32 english. Good luck!

@taz9000 @MBNAN My son was accepted to Stamps back in December (EA). He is OOS (California-Los Angeles area) with GPA 3.8 and 1400 SAT with lots of honors/AP, also an athlete and good amount of community service.

Same here…OOS from CA, Kines

Michigan has by far the worst admissions process of the schools that I applied to. They seriously make EA students wait almost half a year to hear a final decision!

The process has been in place for a very long time. At least a decade or more.

If you applied to any of the UC’s or CSU’s, those students are also voicing their complaints and displeasure over there as well. Unless you received a special scholarship, the overhwelming majority of students have to wait until mid-to-late March to hear a decision, which then may leak out like a slow drip over days and weeks.

The one thing that I really like about Michigan’s admission’s process is that a very large portion of the almost 15,000 acceptances have already been released before February 28 this season.

There’s a high probability, maybe a 3 out of 4 chance (or higher), that those apps remaining will either hear a WL (1.8% chance of admission) or rejection from UMich. Be prepared.

Does anyone think they just defer legacy candidates until the end just to reject or waitlist them just to placate the alumni. My DS has a 4.1 GPA and a 33 on the ACT, excellent extracuriculars, great essays, but was deferred. We are a double legacy. In-state. We donate a fair amount of money to the school (have a small scholarship given to a student at Ross). The only weakness is probably that he doesn’t have as much rigor as they want, but that was due to an explained disability in his application under Additional Information. I really feel like they have already made a decision to reject him, but are deferring him now just to placate us and will ultimately reject him. I guess I don’t know this, but the same thing happened to my other son (although he didn’t have quite the same stats). They left him hanging until June. I really wish if they already knew they were going to reject him, they would just do it so he could move on with his life and his other choices. Michigan is his number one choice, but this seems to be a pattern with other alumni we have talked to. Thoughts?

@sushiritto did they post how many they have handed out already? Maybe just pockets of regions they have held back on or maybe they are just not taking from this year

@adownztogo I know in past years, strong candidates like your son have been deferred and later rejected. I don’t think Michigan would string alums along, like say an Ivy might. I just think the legacy bump is gone at UMich, even though the CDS does state it’s “considered.”

According to the CDS, the two most important factors in the admissions decision is GPA and course rigor. So, if course rigor isn’t sufficient in their minds, then that could be the issue with your son’s app. Or maybe the essays or EC’s. Hard to tell.

@sushiritto Thanks for your reply. I guess we will have to wait it out and see what happens. My other son is graduating from Broad at MSU with a 3.8 this Spring, and we have been quite impressed (even though we didn’t think we would be), so Michigan is not the only choice. We’re trying to emphasize that, especially in today’s world, it really is what you do with your education, not where you go.