Class of 2024 Regular Decision Thread

@ethan75 looking for one of these as well

Ok, a random thought. Iā€™ve had my share of acceptances and a few disappointments over the last few weeks. But without professional athletics, Iā€™ve appreciated the ā€œsportā€ of this process more than I should I guess. Iā€™ll miss it a bit when it is done after this week. Anyway, good luck to all the ā€œteamsā€ out there!

what about University of Illinois? My son has been admitted to the Mechanical E. program but still waiting for final word on UM after EA deferral.

What about UIUC/UIC?

Their fine programs.

My son was deferred from Michigan and decided not to write that extra essay to continue the admissions process. He also got into Wisconsin and OSU (and received a lot of merit money) and decided yesterday on Wisconsin. Personally, I loved both Wisconsin and OSU, they are both great schools, and very similar. At the end of the day, it really doesnā€™t matter where they go, what matters is what they do when they get there and what the best fit is for them. And I do believe it is important to do well in undergrad in order to get into grad school. Whatever your son chooses, he canā€™t go wrong. Personally, I do not believe it is worth it to pay $67k a year for an undergrad education, especially if you plan on going to grad school. But if cost is not a factor, Michigan is a great school. From what Iā€™ve seen and heard, the vibe at Wisconsin seems to be a bit more chill than at Michigan. Other than that, they are pretty similar. We went to admitted students day at Wisconsin the weekend before all the Corona craziness and had the best time! Beautiful school, Madison is a great college town, student vibe was awesome, campus easy to navigate, loved everything about it. Didnā€™t have a chance to revisit OSU but really liked it when we went there over the summer. Michigan as well, Michigan and Wisconsin are very similar as far as campus, college town, big 10 sports etcā€¦

Best of luck on your sonā€™s decision!! Lots of great choices! And if he ends up at Wisconsin, let me know!

Since I see there are people comparing Michigan to other Big 10 schools, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about Purdue and Minnesota. Michigan is my top choice and I was deferred there. However I got into Purdue and Minnesota for engineering and was offered some pretty nice scholarships there too. I was going to visit Purdue but havenā€™t been able to with everything that has been going on. I was just curious if anyone knew much about these schools and maybe if it would be possible to transfer from one into Michigan?

Does anyone know if the ā€œadditional interestā€ essay UMich asked for (but was optional) is a weed-out essay? As in, if you do not write it theyā€™ll assume you arenā€™t interested enough and reject you?

I thought the whole point of it was to express your continued interest in attending Michigan (i.e., if you donā€™t write it, you are no longer interested)

when are decisions coming out?

I applied EA and got deferred (hoping itā€™s because they didnā€™t get to read my application as I submitted it on 10/30). I submitted continued interest form and mid year grades. I also applied to Ross but am expecting a rejection from there, so at this point Iā€™m just waiting to see if I get into Michigan for LSA. Iā€™m OOS and Iā€™ve heard that the longer it takes to hear back after a deferral, the higher your chance of rejection. Is this true?

My son was under the assumption that not writing the continued interest essay meant that he was pulling his application.

You would think but why not go to enrollmentconnect under Application, and select the tab to Withdraw Your Application?
btw, we are also very excited for UW after visiting-they were simply teeming with efficiency and hospitality but U-M has been the dreamā€¦ dbl legacyā€¦ and many visits

A viable option with charm and strong academics. Even met with a department advisor who gave us a private tour. Main issue is the remote location but not the biggest deal to take a bus from OHare several times a year. Overall seems clearly a great school for smart and fun kids but less geographically diverse than U-M and UW Madison that for some reason is important to us. The college town resembled Ann Arbor.

@500champ. Both excellent schools. Purdue gets higher marks and rank and one of the best Universities for engineering. Period. One thing to check on is any GPA limit you need. Transferring between different engineering majors can be tough. Great coop programs. Etc.

Minnesota has been an up and coming program the last 5 years. Each schools has their positives and negatives.

Purdue and Michigan have more brand names in engineering. All the schools you will do well in for jobs etc.

@whatamom. UIUC campus /town doesnā€™t look anything or resemble Michigan is any way. Sorry, itā€™s a great school for engineering but just about everything else is not remotely similar to Michigan. Wisconsin and Northwestern have more of the Michigan vibe and towns.

https://admissions.umich.edu/apply/freshmen-applicants/selection-process

So it clearly says the loci is not needed but it also says to send one with grades etc. Usually when a school says itā€™s up to you to do x. That usually means to do X. I am sure some people will get in without sending one but why in the world would you not send one just to say ā€œHeh, I am still here and interestedā€¦ Pick meā€

Lots of schools do these as a weed out. I would.

Did I miss the conversation about the decision date? Any clues out there?

@whatamom best of luck! Maybe they will both end up at Wisconsin!

I believe it was mentioned decisions will be this Friday March 27th.

Hereā€™s a nice writeup of mid west college towns.

https://everydaywanderer.com/the-best-college-towns-in-the-midwest

Anyone have any new hacks or tricks to find out about being admitted. I know for EA their was the X theory which was proven true have we
Found any loopholes yet?