Class of 2025 EA

Sounds like they will be letting EA students know next week. Anyone else out there waiting to hear from UPS?

My daughter applied EA and got an email this week telling her they’ll release decisions next week. We visited the campus just before COVID shut everything down and both really loved it.

Got the email to expect an answer next week. We’ll see.

woo-hoo! My D got in! Not sure about FA, because she’s out and about and just texted me the results.

1 Like

Congrats! My son got in, too, with the Alumni scholarship!

1 Like

My daughter got her EA notification this morning. And with good news!

1 Like

My daughter got her acceptance letter this morning. With the Trustee Scholarship!

She also got into Lewis & Clark with an almost identical merit aid award so has some decisions to make. She likes both campuses but only visited L&C pre-covid with students on campus. We have only walked through an empty closed UPS campus so doesn’t have an apples to apples comparison. They seem pretty similar on paper. She wants to study molecular biology or bio in general.

1 Like

My son is also trying to figure that out. He got into Lewis & Clark, Willamette and applied to Whitman RD so we’ll be taking a road trip to the NW this spring! (Also got into Evergreen but that seems to be slipping on his list, so not sure we’ll make it there.)

Yep. Decisions decisions!

My daughter applied to UW, WWU, WSU, and UO for public schools. And L&C, UPS, Whitman, Gonzaga, and Occidental for private schools. None of them ED.

She is still waiting to hear from UW, Whitman, Occidental, and Gonzaga. WWU and WSU came back quickly with acceptance letters and merit award offers in the $4,000/yr range. UO offered her a $10,000/year out of state merit scholarship but with the fees and extra cost of the UO Honors College that would come in roughly $10,000/yr MORE than either UPS or L&C which both offered her $30,000/yr merit awards so we aren’t really treating it as an option.

We didn’t look at Evergreen. It just feels like the place is sort of struggling and if you want a public university on the west side of the state then WWU or UW are the better options.

Whitman was off her radar until we drove out for a visit in November and to her surprise she really liked it. It was about a 3.5 hour drive for us coming from Camas WA in the Portland metro. Very pretty campus and the town was surprisingly nice.

But I think she still likes the west side feel of UPS and L&C better. UPS is kind of her ideal distance from home. She can take a nice 2 hour Amtrak Cascades ride up from Vancouver and then uber or city bus to campus. L&C is just a city bus ride away and maybe too close to home

2 Likes

If you are out-of-state I can’t think of a single reason to choose Evergreen over UPS, Lewis & Clark, Whitman, or Willamette. Seriously. It is a struggling campus. I would even send my daughter to our local WSU branch campus WSU-Vancouver, which is actually larger and has more resources than Evergreen, even though few outside of WA have even heard of it. If you want to come to WA and use the WUE for in-state tuition at a public university then I would pick WWU in Bellingham over Evergreen.

2 Likes

We live in CA (Los Angeles) and my son got his UPS acceptance today with $26k/year in merit. He also got into Lewis & Clark, Willamette, Pacific, and Western Washington. Applied RD to Whitman and we also hope to visit in the spring since our spring break trip back in March was cancelled due to Covid. I’m assuming it will come down to UPS, Lewis & Clark, Willamette, and Whitman. My son is interested most in continuing his Japanese and studying abroad in Japan.

2 Likes

My son is taking Japanese at UPS, both Japanese professors are really nice, good program

3 Likes

My son is a sophomore at UPS, happy to answer any questions

1 Like

My daughter is torn between UPS, L&C and Whitman. She is interested in bio, molecular bio, and study abroad/Hispanic studies in Latin America or Spain (we have South American heritage). She is also NOT interested in Greek life. Older sister did the sorority thing at a big southern SEC school and she wants NONE of that.

Bio seems a more popular major at both L&C and Whitman, perhaps because neither has a business major like UPS. L&C is the only one of the three that deliberately doesn’t have Greek life so that would tilt towards L&C. But D21 likes the campus of UPS and the location the best so that circles her back around. Whitman is kind of isolated and L&C is too close as we live nearby.

Would be very interested in hearing any personal experiences with the Bio department and especially molecular bio. She is not interested in med school, but rather, pursing a career in genetics research or a related field. So is most likely bound for a PhD program after graduation. We would have loved to have been able to visit but by the time we got around to driving up last spring the campus was closed and all we could do was wander around and explore from the outside ourselves.

1 Like

My son is a humanities kid and took geology for his natural science, so I can’t speak to personal experience for the bio department. I can tell you that the campus is beautiful, the location is great - in a city so you have access to anything you need but tucked away in a nice part of the city with 2 shopping areas to walk to. The community at UPS is also amazing. There is Greek life at UPS, but I believe it is very different than anything you would find at a big state school. My son would not even begin to consider a frat, even the UPS kind, and does not feel left out at all. I recommend listening to the podcast PS The Puget Sound podcast - there was at least one that was a bio professor and I feel like quite a few with bio majors as well. Also gives you a good feel for the school. My descriptor I would use about the students is earnest. Also there is a parent Facebook group if you join you could ask parents if anyone has a bio major child who can speak to the department

1 Like

Thanks for the pointer to the PS Podcast. I regularly listen to podcasts so I’ll give it a listen. Not sure I’ll be able to get D21 to listen though. She’s kind of done with this process right now. Hah!

I’m really hoping that there will be enough normalcy by April that we can go look at the top choices again and actually meet people and see more than locked buildings on an empty campus.

1 Like

Does anyone have experience increasing the merit offer from UPS? My son has expressed that aside from the cost it’s near the top of his list, but he has other offers that net out at $16K and $18K less per year which for us is a very significant difference-- likely the difference between him graduating without loans or with decades of loan payments.

Very funny, I listen to the podcast but my son won’t! They are returning to campus in person in January. So even if they don’t resume in person tours, you will be able to get a feel for the campus with kids on it. I have a hs senior as well and I think all his options are allowing in person tours although limited numbers of people, hopefully by April UPS will as well

We contested our merit from UPS and got $1000 more. But that was a normal year and my son was at the low end of stats for UPS. No harm trying

1 Like

Hi there,
I know a young man who got his BS in Biochemistry/Mathematics from UPS. He then went onto to get his PhD at University of Chicago. He’s doing quite well. ::grinning: :