Class of 2026 UC General Discussion Thread

Apparently several highly selective private institutions align with this broader definition of a first generation student.

1 Like

I too was surprised to learn this recently from my son. At his school, there are a lot of two-income households with parents graduating from outside the US and earning $300k a year. Their kids applied as first-gen to many top schools. It is an eye opener reading about college admissions!

Looks like UCSC is releasing admission decisions today.

5 Likes

Are they?

1 Like

Yes, a few admits and a few waitlists so far.

1 Like

which ones in particular? anyone have a list?

You can view the thread here

In the list that you have posted, how does “Geographic location” (no.13)play a role in the admission process. Does it mean if I live close to Los Angeles my chances of getting admission to UCLA are higher?

No. Perhaps if you are OOS your tuition dollars might be more enticing. Just kidding - I have no idea what that means.

UC’s do not consider local vs non-local applicants as part of their admission decision like the Cal states. Geographic location focuses on the SES (Social Economic Status) of applicants such as low performing HS’s and low income. It helps target applicants that may not have the same resources and academic opportunities vs. wealthier HS’s and school districts.

It just gives AO’s a reference point when evaluating applicants since they are evaluated within the context of what their HS offers.

2 Likes

Removed.

1 Like

Interesting. I feel like this is one of those policies that falls in a little bit of a grey zone. A general cursory observation while perusing the admissions by source school link (below) is that there is some amount of Norcal/Socal preference given by respectively located UCs. Again, this was very much a casual observation made as I was looking at data from large CA public HS’s on this page. (note: a quick conclusion may be that norcal HS students will apply more to Norcal UCs and vise versa, but this trend doesn’t seem to make up for the local preference discrepancy that is observed here)

1 Like

That is interesting data, but it could also be that AO’s for UCB for example are more familiar with the HS’s in the Northern California than Southern California? Or more Northern California students will apply to the more “local” UC’s such as UCB, UCSC and UCD?

I am originally from Southern California, now live in NorCal and the SoCal HS student seem to gravitate towards UCLA over UCB. UCI over UCD?

1 Like

It’s amazing how nuanced the whole college admissions process is. This is my second go around (older kid was last year) and I’m still learning new information every day. However, I’m not surprised there are different definitions of first generation or that some colleges consider a student first generation if their parents’ degrees are from non-US colleges. Lots of immigrant families, for example, have professional degrees from outside the US but aren’t able to work in their professional fields here in the US and are economically disadvantaged as a result. First generation is just one of the many indicators they use to determine how advantaged or disadvantaged an applicant is, and colleges have so much information about each applicant (including their parents’ occupations, employers, and if/where they went to college) that they’re unlikely to be fooled into thinking an applicant is economically disadvantaged if their parents are working high-income jobs but they technically qualify as first generation because their parents happened to be educated abroad.

2 Likes

yes @Gumbymom, your assumptions are probably correct here. I am more or less guessing, based on what I saw when I looked at UCs data page earlier, and more or less just trying to stir up conversation because I seem to have way too much free time between now and Friday.

6 Likes

@Gumbymom with the exception of UCB have any UCs awarded Regents?

Only UC that I have seen award Regents is UC Davis. Saw one post from a UCSC admitted student that got a Merit scholarship which might be Regents but they did not elaborate.

Not heard anything from the rest of the UC’s except UCB.

2 Likes

What is the latest an applicant has been taken off a waitlist?Last year a freshman was moving into the dorm of her second choice when her first choice took her off waitlist, note it was not a UC.

The latest I have seen was a couple of weeks prior to classes starting but usually the UC’s close their waitlists by June.

2 Likes

Does anyone know the dates that UCLA and UC Berkely will be releasing decisions?