Class of 2026 UC General Discussion Thread

UCLA March 18 not confirmed
UCB March 24 Confirmed

I am worried about another brutal year of UC admissions! My DD only applied to UCSB, UCLA, and UCB, but her friends have all been waitlisted or rejected from Davis and SC. One of her friends who was rejected has a 4.7 W 4.0 UW, rigorous course load, good EC’s etc. The other who was waitlisted at Davis just got into Northeastern honors college with merit aid. What is going on?

9 Likes

D22 applied to the same UCs. Lots of kids at her large urban high school are getting into UCSC, UC Davis and Cal Poly SLO.

3 Likes

There are many students that are waitlisted or rejected at some of the UC’s but get into other UC’s. This has been happening for a while especially since students are applying to a larger # of UC’s and schools in general. UC Decision results at one campus does not predict the outcome at the other campuses. All UC campuses are separate entities and review applicants independently of each other.

9 Likes

Do UCLA or UCSD provide any kind of notice on their website or social media before they release decisions?

UCLA use to confirm the decision date but not last year or this year so far.

I believe UCSD also use to announce their decision dates but not in the last few years.

The only 2 UC’s that have consistently announce their decision dates have been UCSB and UCB.

2 Likes

last year my kid’s school had over 200 admitted to UCD. Just by surveying around campus this week, he says he feels like that number is way, way lower this year.

4 Likes

Thank you!

Agree- My son didn’t apply to Davis or Santa Cruz, but many of my son’s classmates were deferred/rejected. It was really surprising given their stats (and they were not applying for CS).

4 Likes

I wonder if that’s the same at our school but these kids don’t seem to talk about any of it.

The UC’s saw a record # of applicants this year. UCD for example has over 7000 more Freshman applicants than last year. The numbers do tell the story.

7 Likes

200, that’s crazy. How big is your school?

Maybe 2800 total students.

Is there a link to see how many students at a particular high school were accepted to each Cal State? I thought I saw a UC one somewhere.

https://tableau.calstate.edu/views/FirstTimeFreshmanandCollegeTransfers/SummaryView?iframeSizedToWindow=true&%3Aembed=y&%3Arender=true&%3AshowAppBanner=false&%3Adisplay_count=no&%3AshowVizHome=no

4 Likes

Here’s the site for UC applications, admissions, and enrollments by source school: Admissions by source school | University of California

3 Likes

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Yes, there were more applications this year… But this year is going to hit differently. Don’t underestimate the Berkeley lawsuit impact. I think campuses likely anticipated yield going way up so they admitted a smaller group as a result, and Monday’s action by the governor wasn’t in time for campuses to update their plans. I will be suprised if we don’t see a ton of waitlist action from all campuses.

2 Likes

No. If the Legislature and the GO went to such great lengths and then UCB admits fewer students heads will roll. Will not happen.