Class of 2026 UC General Discussion Thread

Oh, Berkeley will admit the original (higher) plan… it will be that the other campuses made their plans based on worst case. I think we will see campuses who never use their waitlist scrambling to fill in their class now that Berkeley will be admitting their original plan.

2 Likes

Disagree. We shall see.

1 Like

I believe @Yarnie’s take is correct. Berkeley has already announced going back to the original enrollment plans.

https://www.insidehighered.com/admissions/article/2022/03/15/california-legislature-ends-uc-berkeleys-enrollment-woes#:~:text=Berkeley’s%20Next%20Move&text=Following%20Newsom’s%20signature%2C%20UC%20Berkeley,transfer%20students%20in%20mid-April.

https://www.dailycal.org/2022/03/14/bill-reversing-uc-berkeley-enrollment-freeze-passes-ca-assembly-senate/

1 Like

@dh2, curious if your friend’s merit aid from Northeastern makes it comparable in cost to in state UC? Trying to learn from my 2022 and friends, for my 2024 student.

You misunderstood me. I disagree that there will be a significant ripple effect due to the Berkeley lawsuit. I don’t believe other UCs will admit fewer students and create huge waiting lists because they couldn’t react quickly enough to the GOs action.

Okay, got it. Only time will tell.

Well, Davis, Riverside and Merced released their admissions decisions before Monday’s Sacramento intervention. Santa Cruz released 12 hours later. So there’s four out of eight undergraduate campuses (leaving out Berkeley, obviously.) Time will tell. Given the academic stats of the kids who are getting waitlisted already this year, let’s hope for their sakes I am right and they all get called up to the school of their dreams…

4 Likes

No. With the merit aid including housing 55k
In state would be around 39K I believe

1 Like

Each student/family has their own priority for choosing one school over another. For many, cost is the overriding factor. For others, it is proximity to home. For some, academics or strength of program is important, while others are looking for a good social fit. For a few, USNWR ranking and perceived prestige is what drives their decision. Berkeley is not a good fit for everyone. Many students, given the choice, will choose other UCs over Berkeley.

As has been mentioned several times, the original Berkeley verdict was in August, 2021 - before applications even opened. It may be relatively new news for applicants but it isn’t for those in higher ed.

3 Likes

There are a few private schools who, at least in the past, were eager to get CA students and threw enough merit aid at them so their tuition would match what UCs cost. I don’t know if that’s happening this year–I haven’t seen evidence of it on here and no one I know in real life is talking about any of this yet; everyone’s waiting until all the decisions are out.

1 Like

I have one child at USC and I am sure they knew that they needed to get cost below that of a UC in order to lure her.

4 Likes

That’s wonderful! I’m glad to hear that worked out so well for your family!

Santa Clara often does this.

1 Like

Looking at the GPAs mentioned here, most of these students would get decent merit scholarship at arizona and arizona st making the coa comparable.

3 Likes

Does UC offer admitted student campus tour? I can only registered for UCD. We are planning a trip and would like to see UCSC, UCI.

UCSC offers admitted student tours but only a virtual admitted students day.

UCI Tours: Campus Tour | Office of Undergraduate Admissions | UCI

Visit the UCSC thread for more info on how UCSC is scheduling admitted student tours.

UCI has an admitted student day scheduled for April 16.

1 Like

UCSD came out! waitlisted, 4.18 UC GPA

I have an anecdote that I hope will be helpful to future applicants. Thrilled to report kid got in to UCLA (OOS)! Stats aren’t as perfect as some other posters (both accepted and rejected) and didn’t fly to moon or cure cancer, so I’m guessing PIQs helped. I’ve seen on CC in multiple places that UC adcoms advise taking a straightforward approach to answering PIQs rather than crafting a cute or clever essay. Thing is, kid didn’t know that when she wrote them, so all four of hers were very “packaged”. So I’m not certain about the idea of shying away from creative (essay-like) presentation if writing is a strength. Just something to think about. I’m glad I didn’t get the chance to pass along the advice about straightforward answers, because her true-to-herself clever little essays got her in.

Another minor data point - did get invited for Alumni scholarship. But I think this one’s getting less and less “astrological” each year.

Congrats to UC admits, and for those who haven’t gotten good news, remember that all your achievements have made you an amazing person. No matter what, you rock!

6 Likes

Since you mentioned PIQ’s in your post, here is some information from the UC Counselor conference about PIQ’s and hopefully it will be helpful for future applicants:

**How can students share their story?
As counselors and educators we want to help students find their own answers and then share their ‘voice’ in each response. In the Office of Admissions, we hope that students will share their life experiences with us in the UC application. We don’t want to limit their examples or impose a question on any student. It’s not about what we “want to hear” but instead on what the student wants to share, what they are comfortable sharing with a stranger in the admissions office.

Admissions readers are required to complete bias training every year. This means that a student can feel confident in sharing any topic with us, gender identity, substance abuse, learning disabilities, and more. We value the experience and what the student gained from the situation. We do not penalize a student for circumstances they lived through. Sharing their voice means that students talk to us in plain and direct manner.

Note the myth on the slide: “I have to respond to the questions in essay format”
This is false. Make note that the word essay is not a part of any PIQ webpage or worksheet. Style and structure are not a part of the review of a PIQ on any UC campus. Space is best allocated to content instead of an introduction paragraph or conclusion.

It is helpful if the student thinks of the PIQ’s as their interview with Admissions. If the student has never had a job, they have seen interviews online in social media and through public posts. Interviews ask direct questions which give insight into a persons accomplishments. Interviews share talents that a person can bring to the organization. The student should frame their response as they would an interview answer. Ask students to focus on the content and not the style of writing.
The formatting in the UC application is often lost in translation. Text size, font, and formatting will conform the UC campus requirement regardless of what the student tries to do in the PIQ section of the application. Students should avoid special characters as those will be deleted or defaulted to empty space when downloaded on the UC campus.

Context and clarity are key in each UC PIQ response. It is important to remember though, there are only 350 words per response, so students should only include the most relevant details that help us understand them. Then, it is crucial that the applicant include a self-reflection on those details. Why are they sharing THIS information? How has it impacted who they are today? Is this information listed somewhere else in the application? Is the student repeating information or enhancing what was shared elsewhere? This component of the response will provide the insight as to the significance of this information.**

4 Likes