Class of 2026 UC General Discussion Thread

ABET accreditation link: https://www.abet.org/

Many articles on why ABET accreditation is important for certain engineering programs and others that state the opposite.

Here is what I have been told about the importance of ABET accreditation:

Perhaps the most important reason to choose an ABET-accredited program is due to state licensing requirements. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, you’ll need to attend a degree program that is accredited by ABET before you can be licensed as a professional engineer (www.bls.gov ). If you’d like to hold some other position in the engineering field, such as that of an engineering technician, you might not need a license and won’t have to meet this requirement.

1 Like

If the degree us not ABET certified, I guess you have challenges practicing law after a law degree. Like if you want to be a patent lawyer/copyrights. I believe that Berkeley’s BA CS is not ABET certified either.

Other than that one is fine getting a degree from non ABET certified school.

1 Like

ABET accreditation has nothing to do with patent law or anything with do with practicing law. Licensure means for Professional Engineers (PE) especially for Civil Engineering. For CS, it is not as important than for the other types of Engineering. Yes, UCB and Stanford’s CS programs are not ABET accredited but they are outstanding programs in their own right.

ABET is a nonprofit, non-governmental agency that accredits programs in applied and natural science, computing, engineering and engineering technology.

• Verifies that your educational experience meets the global standard for technical education in your profession.
  • Enhances your employment opportunities—multinational corporations require graduation from an accredited program.
  • Supports your entry to a technical profession through licensure, registration and certification—all of which often require graduation from an ABET-accredited program as a minimum qualification.
  • Establishes your eligibility for many federal student loans, grants, and/or scholarships.
  • Paves the way for you to work globally, because ABET accreditation is recognized worldwide through international agreements, and many other countries’ national accrediting systems are based on the ABET model.

You may want to check… just talked to a patent lawyer about this issue.

Please note that with Computer Science degrees the school the degree is awarded by must be accredited by the Computer Science Accreditation Commission (CSAC) of the Computing Sciences Accreditation Board (CSAB), or by the Computing Accreditation Commission (CAC) of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), on or before the date the degree was awarded. Computer science degrees that are accredited may be found on the Internet (http://www.abet.org).

An applicant with a Bachelor’s degree in one of the approved subjects must submit an official original transcript from the college or university. A diploma, copy of the diploma, or copy of the transcript will not be accepted. The official original transcript will be accepted from applicants. The college or university transcript must be official/original and include the university stamp or seal.

An applicant with a Bachelor’s degree in a subject not listed, such as Biological Sciences, Pharmacy, Mechanical Technology, or a Computer Science degree from an institution that was not accredited by the CSAC of the CSAB or by the CAC of ABET on or before the date the degree was awarded must establish to the satisfaction of the OED Director that he or she possesses the necessary scientific and technical training under either Category B or Category C.

1 Like

Thank you for the information but I do not know too many CS majors that would consider going to Law school when they can make comparable or more money with just their CS degree.

1 Like

A post was split to a new thread: UC Davis vs. UC Santa Barbara Pre-Health track

My son was waitlisted at several UC’s. Tonight, he received a financial aid package offer from one of them but status still remains “waitlisted” at this campus. It does state that it’s only applicable should he come off the waitlist.

Is this a normal process? Do they typically offer financial aid packages to waitlist applicants? We haven’t received any others.

Or, could this potentially be indicative if some good news coming?

1 Like

Admissions and financial aid are separate. The
FA office has to prepare a package for all students on the waitlist in case they are admitted due to the short time required to enroll or decline. Not indicative of possible chances of getting off the waitlist.

1 Like

A friend of mine’s son just got notified by UCI he got Regents

3 Likes

Congratulations to your friend.

Just to be sure, I can SIR at UCI and submit for waitlist at UCLA, right?

1 Like

Yes, you need to SIR somewhere by May 1 and you can remain on the UCLA waitlist until you hear.

Anyone hear anything about Merced “Count Me In” program yet?

Last year, I believe it was around April 8 that students heard about the Count Me In program.

I think the emails for Count Me In are out now or will be sometime today/tomorrow. We didn’t yet get one but assume it’s on the way. We can now ‘accept the invitation’ to apply on this link when before ‘information/profile was not found’

https://ucmerced.tfaforms.net/217792

2 Likes

Just got the email :+1:

4 Likes

yes we got the email for Count me In.

So how does the Count Me In Work if we have acceptance at other universities? Are we obligated to accept the offer if we are already leaning towards other colleges?

No, you are not obligated to accept the UC Merced offer but if your student has acceptances at other schools that they prefer over UCM, then I would not go through the process of applying.

Does anyone have any thoughts or insight about transferring UC campuses? I’ve heard it’s difficult - why is that?