Class of 2026 UC General Discussion Thread

Yes, category G College Prep Elective is the correct.

2 Likes

apologies if this has been answered. What is the consensus if you put down undeclared (undeclared humanities or equivalent) as your primary major for all of the UCs? (UCB, LA, D, Irv)
thanks

Selecting Undeclared is not a problem for the UC’s unless the eventual declared major is impacted or has space limitations.

If it is an Undeclared major in the College of Letters and Sciences, UCB/UCLA/UCSB and UCSC do not admit by major and all applicants are considered “Undeclared” until declaring a major.

UCI/UCSD admits into the University first and then into the major so selecting Undeclared is not an issue.

For UCD, Students applying as “undeclared” or “undeclared/exploratory” are considered within the college to which they applied.

3 Likes

D22’s friends reporting they are having trouble submitting their UC app.

The majority of the UC’s receive over 100K applications, each. Each UC will send out their information on their timeline.

UC’s will extend application deadline if website malfunctions last couple of days

Preliminary data show UC received a total of 249,855 applications , a 16.1 percent leap from the past year, from students who applied to at least one campus: 203,700 from freshman applicants and 46,155 from aspiring transfer students.

3 Likes

The UC’s have a history of a systems computer issue as the deadline approaches. The majority of the UC’s receive over 100k applications. The system gets overwhelmed. Our high school advised the students to submit by Nov. 15.

Tell them to keep trying and to advise their high school GC’s that the system is not allowing them to submit. Good luck!

2 Likes

Updates here: https://twitter.com/UC_Apply

Good luck everyone!

1 Like

Same here for my daughter. Out of 4 UC, only one sent portal info (UCSD).

3 Likes

UC App submitted (finally!) late last night. UCB and UCLA.
My D also faced issues with intermittent freezing/being redirected to an error page, etc. which was scary but luckily worked out ok in the end.

She felt the UC App was the most painful to fill out among all the ones she’s done so far so she’s happy to be done with it. She initially also had UCSD on the list but after a few hours reading up on all the colleges and trying to rank them she decided she didn’t want to deal with it.

Good luck everyone!

3 Likes

Yes! My kid also thought that the UC app was the hardest to fill out. There was a lot of terminology that wasn’t clear.

UCSB and UCSD were the top 2 choices. For UCSD, she started the app with a top college and an alternate, but then had to go back to the drawing board to figure out how to rank all 7!

Good luck!

2 Likes

The UC website has crashed the last several years, that is why myself and other experienced CC posters have advocated to submit the application early. Glad everything worked out for everyone so the now the wait begins.

Again each UC campus has their own timeline for decisions. UCB, UCSB and UCI have done early admission decisions usually in late February only for top applicants and Regent/Honors college students.

Most of the UC decisions will be posted in March. UCD, UCSB, UCB and UCLA will post a specific date in which the decisions will be posted in the afternoon.

UCM, UCR, UCSC, UCI and UCSD have been doing rolling decisions through the month of March, although UCSD did most of the decisions on one day (date no specified before hand) this past year. They seem to like to change it up.

Portal information should be available throughout the month of December so make sure your applicants check their spam folder. Every year around decision time in March, students start to panic when they realize they did not setup their decision portals.

Best of luck to all applicants and enjoy the Holidays.

8 Likes

Thanks for this information–it was really helpful! (And I told my kid about everyone’s advice to submit early, so that removed some stress too!)

3 Likes

Thanks so much @Gumbymom! I told my D the sages on CC said the system will crash so she got them in Sunday. Thanks for the constant flow of advice!

Good luck everyone!

2 Likes

Ha! Ha! Same here :grinning:
I told my D to not wait until the last day “because Gumbymom said the site will crash and she knows what she’s talking about” :wink:

So we got the apps in on time!

7 Likes

Regarding Applicant status portals, UCLA just requires the following to access: UCLA website My Application Status page . You will need to fill in your last name, your date of birth, the city of birth you wrote on your application and your application ID

3 Likes

Gumbymom, you are so popular in our households. My D22 agreed to change her second major to uncapped in UCSD because I showed her your posts. Thanks for your extensive support here in this forum.

3 Likes

we submitted UC on 26th. we haven’t received the UCLA portal login yet. Hope that is okay…

Same here. Submitted on 23rd, no UCLA, UCSB yet.

UCLA does not have a specific student portal login to check the application status like other UC campuses. Note: applicants for fall 2022 will be able to check their status starting in mid-December

Here is how to access the UCLA application status:

Visit the UCLA website My Application Status page. You will need to fill in your last name, your date of birth, the city of birth you wrote on your application and your application ID.

5 Likes