Class of 2026 UC General Discussion Thread

Hello everyone. Someone told me yesterday that the UCs require all applicants to submit FAFSA. Is this true?

My understanding is that it’s only required if we’re seeking need based aid.
Will not filing FAFSA impact the admission decision or merit scholarship consideration (if any are offered to OOS)?

Thanks a lot!

UC’s offer no financial aid to OOS applicants. The only reason to file the FASFA is to show the UC’s financial need which can be combined with the merit scholarships (CA applicants only). No reason to file if you have no financial need.

6 Likes

Thanks a lot @Gumbymom!
As always, really appreciate your insights and inputs.

Sorry if already posted here but if not FYI - UC Merced extended application deadlines for both freshman and transfer applicants to January 7.

UCR and UCSC extended deadline for transfer applicants.

https://twitter.com/UC_Apply/status/1466467798666809344

2 Likes

If you applied for the CSUs, they display the CSU GPA once you enter the academic history which will basically match the UC capped GPA.

Thanks. I thought there was some difference in how the dual enrollment community college classes are used in the GPA calculation. If not, yes the CSU GPA should be the same.

Dual Enrollment course grades are counted twice for the CSU GPA with an 8 semester maximum while the UC’s will only count the grade once, so CSU and UC GPA’s can be different.

3 Likes

Wait for the email from.ucla and then login to the link provided by gumbymom or the ucla email

Do all of the UC’s send out their acceptances on the same day like an Ivy Day?

If not, what days does each UC typically send out their admissions decisions?

No, each UC campus has their own timeline. Some campuses due waves of decisions over several days to weeks in March like UC Merced, Riverside, Santa Cruz, Irvine.

Edited: UC Irvine has also posted some Regent and CHP decisions at the end of February in the past but we’re delayed until March last year.

UCB does early admission decisions in February for High Stat and Regent scholars invitees then the rest at the end of March. They will post a decision date in the next few months.

UCLA, UCD and UCSB will post all their decisions on a specific date which they will disclose in the next few months.

UCSB also will also give some earlier decisions to Chancellor reception invitees so look out for an invite in February.

UCSD in the past has posted decisions all on one day or has posted them over several days. Each year has been different.

5 Likes

Thank you!

Does this only apply to in-state applicants?

This applies to all applicants but the majority of Regent scholar invitees (requires an interview) are in-state.

3 Likes

Got it. Thanks @Gumbymom

Both the UC and CSU applications calculated D’s GPA at 3.96. I’m now wondering if the UC and CSU applications took into consideration her two community college classes as part of this calculated GPA. @Gumbymom Do you know? Thank you…

Doesn’t MET come out in Feb?

The UC application does not calculate a GPA, this is done by admissions since they consider 3 GPA’s during the application review.

The CSU calculated GPA which is part of the application process should include the community college classes. You can always try to calculate both on your own.

I like to use the RogerHub UC GPA calculator. GPA Calculator for the University of California – RogerHub

Also the Community college courses need to be UC and CSU transferable to be included in the calculation.

This is very helpful. Thank you!

According to the UCB website:

Applicants who are selected for the M.E.T. program will be notified during February or March of the following year.

Only about 8% of the applicants hear early from UCB which can include Regents, Chancellor scholars, MET and GMP admits.

1 Like

Is that 8% of admits or applicants?

2 Likes