Class of 2027--University of Oregon

Same situation with my son. UO is his top choice and we’re also OOS. Even with the Summit scholarship, it’s still the most expensive school on his list by far. Our CA publics are a much more affordable option, but he wants to be a Duck!

1 Like

Yup, we are CA too…she got into SDSU and waiting on SLO and UCs…with summit and additional stamps semi finalist $$ it is still the most expensive when we add honors college. I just keep reminding myself that off campus housing will be cheaper…lol.

1 Like

Is anyone out there awaiting a product design admission decision? Website says notifications will come out by the end of March but we weren’t sure if some have already started to hear. Thanks!

Have any OOS students received the UO Excellence Scholarship yet (total $15K per year)? Unlike the Summit scholarship based only on GPA, it seems this one is more subjective. Suspect it’s a long-shot, but the additional $5K p/yr would be very helpful!

Not here. That would be really nice though!

My daugther was in same boat too, she had written to everyone trying to find out about Direct Admit to Business, she just received an email a few days ago saying she has been directly admitted, so they are still admitting students to Direct Admit.

1 Like

This is concerning! Anyone have any more detail as to what happened and what’s planned for the size of the 2027 class?

• [By: Joey Vacca]
  • Mar 14, 2023 Updated 12 hrs ago

The University of Oregon admitted a record number of freshmen this past fall, and now the facilities are dealing with overcrowding.

EUGENE, Ore. – This past fall, the University of Oregon welcomed its largest incoming class in school history. Now that they’re all on campus, students are wondering if the current facilities can handle that many people.

1 Like

It’ll be interesting to hear more and see what the shakeout is. Generally speaking, of course, higher demand is a good thing if the school can operationally manage its way through and/or expand facilities if it’s a longterm trend. Obviously, they won’t want a situation where every year hundreds of kids are living in double rooms as triples, can’t get food in a timely fashion, class sizes bloom, etc. because it affects morale and reputation will suffer. With the new dorms opening up, will there be enough rooms next year to accommodate a similar amount of freshmen, or will the university have to try and manage class size? If the latter, how?

Looks like the freshman class this year was around 500 kids (over 10%) more than usual.
Would be curious to know much of that was driven by unexpected yield increase and how much by design. Presumably the school’s seeing more applications in recent years like everyone else, so that’s one source of randomness. Maybe UO’s also getting a higher yield from the category of students they typically wouldn’t expect to say “yes,” assuming they’ll end up at a UC school or something. I’m sure the university would love to be a beneficiary of some of the macro trends driving up selectivity other places. If they’re not actively trying to scale up to 21-22,000 undergrads, those things might cause some different Admissions Office behavior going forward.

Perhaps admission rates will lower a bit. I would imagine that if they do they’ll hit the bottom end of applicants and potentially hurt in-state kids more, as UO’s definitely a fan of OOS tuition, given its state funding issues.

4 Likes

I suspect their yield was higher than usual and more students enrolled than expected. UO has a large number of students from CA, and with the UCs and top-tier CSUs becoming even more selective, more students may have committed to UO. The good news is UO planned ahead, and two new residence halls are scheduled to open this fall (not sure about dining facilities). After seeing their increasing enrollment trends, I’d expect them to use their waitlist more like many of the UCs have been doing.

4 Likes

Is anyone’s child still waiting to hear back on the Honors college? My daughter’s portal still just says “applied.”

1 Like

Our daughter just heard a few days ago, I think it was Friday. It was an email directly to her and “Clark Honors College” was subject, I think.

1 Like

That’s when some of her friends heard. But they had applied EA and she was RD. Still waiting to hear.

1 Like

Yes, my son did the same and was quickly direct admitted.

2 Likes

Still waiting here. Applied RD early Jan and to CHC. Kinda weird, kinda worrisome (for parents, not student, who is bizarrely copacetic).
We’re in state and more than a tad concerned about OOS/full-pay enrollment #s currently. Eek!

1 Like

Kind of unsure what to think right now. My son applied EA to the B.Arch program (including submitting the optional portfolio), which requires a separate departmental admission after the university admission. He was accepted to the university in early/mid November and received a merit scholarship offer. However, a couple weeks later he received a deferral from the Dept. of Architecture, with the information stating that he would receive a notification by late April.

Still no word on the departmental decision and feeling pretty anxious about it, especially if they hold off until the end of April! This is one of his top choices, but this two-step admissions process has definitely added a lot of doubt and stress. Anyone have experience with this or a similar situation? Is there anything we can do at this point?

1 Like

Music is a similar two step process. It was about 6 weeks between notifications for my son. It sounds like you may be waiting if that’s what they said. Best wishes for great news!. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My daughter applied to B Arch at OR in 2020 and was accepted to OR in Oct and the Arch program in Dec in the 2 part process as you say; she was not deferred. She ended up going elsewhere. If this were my child, I think I would have him write a letter of continued interest to the Arch department (find a specific Arch admissions email if possible), and really impress upon them how much he wants to attend, update them on anything new like awards or great grades in relevant classes, and explain why he is a great fit for their program (research and give examples). As I have said on other threads, I am a big believer in being a squeaky wheel when you are in that maybe category. Good luck, Architecture is a tough process!!

1 Like

My OOS daughter was accepted back in January, as a Psychology major, and received a Summit scholarship. 3.8 UW GPA (can’t recall her weighted, 4.2+ I think), 7 AP’s, no SAT, 4 years of varsity volleyball (and 5 years of club volleyball). She wasn’t seriously considering UO last year, but I urged her to apply.

Then in January we went to Eugene for a volleyball tournament and did a self-guided tour of campus and she LOVED it. It became her 2nd choice school after UW (we’re from WA) due to cost, but she really loved UO even more than UW (totally different vibe). That night, after checking into our Airbnb, she received her UO admissions email, the timing was perfect!

Since then, she’s also been accepted to UVM, waitlisted at Cal Poly SLO, Syracuse and LeHigh, and rejected by UW and 5 reach schools (including some CA UC schools). It’s been a tough admissions year. In retrospect, she wishes she had considered and applied to additional flagship state U’s to have more options with good psych programs (and opportunities for greater OOS merit aid). She also now wishes she had applied to UO Honors College, but has instead now applied to their new Ballmer Institute for Child Behavioral Health program, and may apply to HC for winter term.

Unfortunately most of our in-state public alternatives are in Eastern WA, which she really dislikes (her boyfriend goes to WASU so she’s spent a lot of time there and hates it). Her preference was for a large college with a strong sports scene (public or private), no religious affiliation, west coast preferred, and most importantly highly regarded academics.

Today she’ll be formally accepting her UO offer of admission and we’re very excited for her, despite the added cost of going OOS. UO has an excellent Psychology program and we think she’ll be very happy and successful there.

To anyone attending Duck Day on 4/14, we’ll see you there! Go Ducks!

3 Likes

Congrats to you and your daughter from a local Oregon guy! Get on housing right away! Last year Oregon saw many more incoming students than they expected and from what we heard from other families, it was complicated.

The Ballmer Institute has the potential to be incredible. No one knows how it is going to work with the campus in Portland (1.5 hours from Eugene) but the need in the field is huge and Oregon doesn’t do anything low cost so it will be top notch.

1 Like

Also from WA and also going to Duck Days on 4/14 where we believe S23 will be accepting his offer. He loves UO. Has emotionally committed a long time ago (and if I’m being honest, I think long before he even applied) but wants to wait to commit at Duck Days. WSU was second for him but a distant second. UW wasn’t ever going to be a viable option (he’s majoring in CS) so didn’t even tour there.

Maybe we will see you!

3 Likes