Class of 2028 - General Engineering admission advice needed

ucbalumnus is right, not even calculus is needed. My first one made it in with precal. They make it up by giving the MPE4 test during the New Student Conference to make sure your kid is ready for college calculus at A&M.

1 Like

Texas A&M engineering students start as general engineering undeclared and must apply to their majors later. 3.75 college GPA admits to any engineering major; those below that GPA must apply for competitive admission (mechanical engineering is one of the more competitive majors). See the ETAM threads.

The “BAC-ENGE” code for my kid in the “My Dashboard” Overview ends with the specific engineering major initially requested. Doesn’t mean anything since they all go through ETAM, I’m just saying for some reason they identify the requested major in the BAC code.

1 Like

My son took the MPE several weeks before his NSC. I would advise taking it as soon as possible because it tests over material that the kids may not have seen for a while and they need to prepare. If your student scores lower than a 22, there is an option to take a prep course and re-take the MPE so they can get a score high enough to start off in Math 151.

You’re right. You have to take the MPE by the time your NSC starts so they know which math class you’re able to enter.

Where and how do you schedule to take the MPE?

It pops up later. Nothing you can schedule right now.

3 Likes

@Aggie97SA WAY too soon, MPE (taken by all majors) scheduling doesn’t even open until around spring break (even that may be too early).
It’ll be on student NSC Checklist.

1 Like

@Shankz99

1 Like

I’m assuming you can take the MPE online and not travel to campus to take both the test and then again for NSC?

@mere33 MPE is only online

1 Like

Last few cycles, MPE for engineering is online proctored (one device showing student one device taking test), MPE for the rest is just online. It can change this year.

MPE for Engineering is Proctored during NSC. We have already signed up for NSC June 20-21 and this was stated in the NSC instructions/schedule.

2 Likes

@jimdlt1 i assume y’all will fly in? Plan accordingly-
Day 1 NSC starts 8:30-9ish, lasts pretty much all day. Day 2 is major specific-so Engineering for your son-and will take place at Zachry. Registration starts after lunch-for all majors-at a designated time. For some reason, Engineering registration tends to take the longest, like he might not be done until 3:30-4:00.

Travel plans for OOS need to be:
arrive Day 0 (day prior to Day 1) and travel back the day after Day 2. Absolutely wouldn’t plan a flight for day 2, even out of Easterwood (College Station).

Most will tell you don’t ever book hotel rooms thru 3rd party sites-high rate of cancellation w/o notice. You are better off sticking with a chain (Hilton, Marriott, etc) or booking at A&M Conf Hotel on campus.

Is it too late to apply Early action for electrical engineering major ?

1. FIrst Event - New Student Conference (NSC) Mandatory for Students, Optional for Parents, is a 2 Day event during pretty much all of June into early July, You sign up for NSC once you accept admittance. NSC runs a Mon/Tues, Wed/Thurs, or a Thurs/Fri Sked. We chose June 20/21 and will fly in the night of the 19th and fly out on Sat the 22nd. Student and One Parent is $225 and we paid the extra $55 for the second parent.
  2. The Second Event is Fish Camp - 2 Day event with dates in mid to late July, but the dates are not released yet. This is voluntary New Students Only, run by upperclassmen. Our son has not made a decision on attending yet.
  3. Third Event - Dorm Move-In - Exact Dates TBD but First Day of School is Wed Aug 21 2024 so Move-In should be the week of Aug 12-16 based on Dorm specific assignments. Only a few Hotel rooms left regardless of the brand.
  4. Fourth Event - Opening Day Football Labor Day Weekend vs. Notre Dame. Aug 31st and YES we already have our hotel and it may be difficult to get a room. Game weekends sell out a year in advance.

YOU WILL HAVE A BUSY SUMMER.
I hope this all helps.

1 Like

The early action deadline is Oct 15th.

1 Like

Thank you for your response! I know the deadline, but I’m worried that it’s a rolling base and there are no spots now.

@jimdlt1 dorm move-in coincides with Howdy Week (which hasn’t been a true week the last several years). It is closer to the start of school, and requires a mad dash to log on and get a move in slot when they open up. You definitely don’t want to book a hotel room yet for move-in; you won’t know until mid summer when your time is.

2 Likes

@Kasia all Engineering students enter as General Engineering, then go thru ETAM process to get their chosen field-starting at the end of freshman year. Be sure you are aware of the ETAM process.

Definitely look at TAMU Engineering website for ETAM explanation, and also the various paths into the Engineering program (other campuses & programs) if not admitted directly to College Station campus.

Applications opened August 1. Dorm selection is based on time stamp housing deposit is paid, so those that get accepted earliest get first dibs on dorms. There aren’t enough dorms for incoming freshman, so if you plan to live on campus, submit your application TODAY. Never pays to wait for anything at A&M.

3 Likes