Class of 28 Undergrad/Class of 26 Grad: a thread to capture the journey of applications, pre screens, tours and auditions

So starting our thread for our DC24 as per the wonderfully helpful thread of this and previous years

To start us off - DD24 is currently reviewing options for music degree and joint degree programmes in usa and uk. She has finally selected her first study finally - clarinet- but also plays cello and is a chorister. I have no musical background so it’s already been a journey and the next year looks very busy with some short deadlines.

7 Likes

Thank you for starting! S24 is a flutist and plans on concentrating on LACs and small universities with strong music programs and music scholarships. He is attending Kinhaven this summer so we will see if that changes the plan!

5 Likes

Thanks for starting the thread! My DS24 plays horn and surprised us a few months ago with the revelation that he’s leaning toward a dual degree in horn performance and…something (maybe sociology? maybe English? definitely a humanities-type kid). We had always assumed he’d keep playing in college but not major in music. His brother just finished his first year at Vanderbilt/Blair as a clarinet performance major, so I guess hearing him talk about it made it irresistible. So right now his preference is somewhere where he can do a dual degree, and he’s looking at Blair (possibly ED), Lawrence, St. Olaf (I’m not sure how easy a dual degree is there, but he’s also open to a double major with a BA in music), maybe Oberlin? Or maybe Oberlin with the musical studies major–likely plan is to apply to a combo of places with dual degrees and LACs with strong music programs (that list is a work in progress, but has places like Macalester (his other older brother just graduated from there), College of Wooster, Emory, Brandeis, Haverford, Grinnell…kind of all over the place).

6 Likes

I don’t mean to be impolite but I believe this thread is for music majors.

2 Likes

My S has changed his mind so many times over the past year that I don’t think I really know what will happen until applications go in!

3 Likes

same for DD - i think reality hit her that if she didn’t go somewhere with strong music or do a double major, suddenly a huge part of her life would stop.

1 Like

Hi All! D24 plays the flute and is looking to major or minor in music at LACs where she can also double major or dual degree with science and play in ensembles. She was interested in Conservatory programs initially but after some summer flute intensives decided they were not for her (though she is attending another flute intensive this summer). Loves playing in the orchestra pit for musicals and performing.

2 Likes

deleted

1 Like

Amazing! I think our kids met last summer? Excited to follow along with you this year, seems they have similar goals!

1 Like

My kid graduated from his masters program in 2009…but every year I look forward to seeing the new crew of music majors! Very exciting.

4 Likes

well I am planning on being involved on this page! I found last year’s thread very helpful for getting started and those of us with kid getting BAs certainly feel welcome!

1 Like

Then…that works! Really anyone who feels welcome and can get advice should feel free to join in!

2 Likes

Yes! Same program! My daughter really liked the instructors but not the school if that makes sense and put her off the conservatory track. Very similar goals :).

1 Like

Ha! I pmd you

deleted

I haven’t been here in a few weeks now that D has committed for fall I and just started to read this new thread. It’s so exciting for the new families here. Then it hits me. My older D will be applying to grad school this fall so I get to enjoy participating in another journey thread here! Crazyyyy.

6 Likes

I so appreciate this post as it captures that for a musician, it is something that they can’t not do. I’m excited to follow along with this upcoming cohort of musicians and families.
My S will be starting his fourth year in a conservatory in the fall. It has been a fabulous experience with tremendous growth personally and musically. He is undecided as yet regarding graduate school.
Best wishes to all on this journey. Embrace the uncertainty and adventure!

3 Likes

I’ve been reading the Music Major page for years, and now I have a high school junior, so I’m excited to see this thread getting started. My son is a baritone looking to study music education at a school that’s a reasonable commute from home (northern New Jersey). He loves jazz so a jazz-focused program would be great, but he also has a number of significant learning disabilities, so we’re also particularly interested in schools that have programs to keep students with learning differences from falling through the cracks. The jazz schools and the schools with learning differences programs tend not to be the same ones, but we’ve toured a lot of schools that we’ve liked. This summer we’re focused on learning audition songs (memorizing German proving challenging this time around!), getting experience working with kids as a camp counselor, and learning music theory.

5 Likes

Hey all! I’m an upcoming senior looking to double major in international business and tuba performance. I’m deadset on going to William and Mary, and although they don’t have a very well-known program, I think it will be a good experience. I have an audition in the fall, and I’ve been in contact with some of the band and orchestra directors, and private teachers. (You should definitely reach out to teachers, if you have any desire to attend a certain school).

8 Likes