Class of 28 Undergrad/Class of 26 Grad: a thread to capture the journey of applications, pre screens, tours and auditions

It was so traumatizing! But now it is one of the funny stories about what adjudicators for their particular instrument look for. My kids do not look like the typical player of their instrument and sometimes it helps and other it definitely does not!

My kid (classical instrumentalist) got the ā€œtime for a haircutā€ prompt from his private teacher before prescreen recordings and also before his live auditions. Son follows this guideline to this day as he is beginning his professional auditions. Hair shouldnā€™t matterā€¦but somehow it does to some.
I do think the main issue with longer hair is it can be distracting when it falls in oneā€™s eyes and needs to be frequently adjusted.

Thankfully no one seems to expect a tie any more, many major orchestras perform in dress black with no ties for concerts. Ties are the bane of an oboistā€™s existence (probably brass players as well) since neck expansion is about 2-3 inches with some musicians as they play.

1 Like

Ha!! He got a haircut this week. Isnā€™t it ridiculous! This year the precollege he attends went to non gendered concert dress for orchestra concerts and it has been amazing to not have to worry about jackets and ties when playing a wind instrument!

@BeverlyWest I write about supplements for BA programs that donā€™t have auditions and though they may have a performance component, lessons, extracurricular ensembles, music is essentially a liberal art and the music major comprises only 1/4-1/3 of total classes.

So whatever recording/video is sent can help, the music folks may or may not listen to it, but it is not key at all. And the music resume and letters can probably help as much as the playing. As I wrote, my kid cued just three minutes on their recording. As always the caveat is that there may be exceptions.

ps excited for you!

2 Likes

My DD24 is interested in singer/songwriter programs. She has been in an Opera Young Voices program with the state Opera and choir at her high school. She plays guitar. She likes writing Indie, Folk, Bluegrass, Americana, country type songs. I am a little intimidated at how to help her pick what schools to apply to for this.

1 Like

There are/will be a lot of people on here who will respond knowledgeably, It is not my area of experience but to start off, we hear about Berklee, Miami Frost, USC, Belmont, NYU, Loyola New Orleans, the New School. Others can add more!

The biggest decision is BM versus BA. It sounds like she wants the more intense focus of a BM (2/3-3/4 classes in music) but she can also study, take lessons and perform in her areas of interest at certain BA programs (1/4-2/3 classes in music with lessons and extracurricular performance). BA progams at some schools are expanding beyond the traditional Western classical in the interests of access and diversity, so take a look at classes offered in some BA programs.

There are also double degrees, double majors, major/minor. Check out the Double Degree Dilemma essay in the Read Me thread here on the music major forum. It is about different ways to study music using hypothetical individual students.

1 Like

there are alot of great opera schools - start making a list of what type of school she wants - conservatory or a program within a traditional school (like Indiana U Jacobs). Does she want opera or classical singing (there is a difference). Does she want to perform in undergrad - many schools that have graduate programs do not let undergrads perform - this is an important question to ask. Canā€™t speak as much on writing side but I know alot of good ones exist. Also think of size of program. I can speak of SUNY Purchase - small conservatory, performance all 4 years in undergrad - however, no town near campus but NYC is a 20 min train ride. Cost was very reasonable. Cost should be factored in as many schools are really expensive. If she has experience in Opera Young Voices have her reach out to those contacts to get some school recommendations. You donā€™t have to do trial voice lessons to get into these schools but they do give you an idea of the faculty. Happy to answer more if you want to DM me.

2 Likes

You mention Opera/Choir which are more classical styles and what I think would be considered ā€œcontemporaryā€ voice styles (indie, blues etc). In high school, you can do both. There are a few college programs that will allow both styles. Still you usually need to pick an emphasis. Would it be contemporary or classical? Or do you not know yet. If she decides on one emphasis for sure, that will help narrow down the college programs/schools. If she wants to see which type of programs/schools gives the most money, she could audition for both (my D did this for VP and MT). Do note that if she does both, there is more prep for two different styles and you may need to audition a bit more.

If you donā€™t know or need more guidance, I would look to her private teacher or, if not available, one of the teachers for her choir and/or opera program. Usually these teachers will have opinions and ideas of schools.

2 Likes

Definitely take a look at Belmontā€¦With the Commercial Music/performance major (voice in your caseā€¦my son was guitar)ā€¦there is a classical requirement before you get into commercialā€¦this is what turned my son off but sounds like something your might like! thereā€™s a program for everyone!

1 Like

Hi!! Iā€™m a mezzo-soprano rising senior from Long Island NY, applying for a dual degree in Vocal Performance and Journalism / Creative Writing (dependent on schoolā€™s individual offerings; music is my main focus). Applying all over the country: SUNYs, USC + UCLA, Baldwin Wallace, UMich, NYU etc. Really excite for this year!!

7 Likes

SUNY Purchase great opera program - top 10- and you will perform all 4 years. You will not be able to double major there

3 Likes

Welcome! If this is your real name, you should change it to maintain confidentiality.

Hopefully youā€™re looking at Oberlin and Bard as well-- both offer double degree (Bard requires it if youā€™re in the conservatory) and are 5 year programs. Oberlinā€™s creative writing program is very competitive and very well known.

Best of luck to you as you prepare!

1 Like

Is Bardā€™s vocal performance program still grad only?

Lawrence might be a good one too.

No, Bard now has a BM degree in vocal performance.

Agree re Lawrence. Good option.

Hi everyone! Iā€™m a homeschool parent, and my rising senior will be applying to composition programs this fall. Heā€™s considering: Cleveland Institute*, Rice*, Florida State (FSU)*, Eastman, Wheaton, and Curtis. Along with his regular homeschool curriculum, he has been attending a small music high school/conservatory for the past three years. His primary instrument is piano, but his passion is mandolin. :grin:

My primary reason for posting on this forum is that there seem to be very few composition majors (or really, parents of such students) who contribute. So, my goal is to post our experiences to hopefully help other parents and students get a sample of what the journey may look like.

This will be my 3rd child graduating, but first music major. I may have jumped the gun a little bit in that we have already toured the schools with an * above. His favorites right now are Cleveland and Rice. We also toured Michigan and Cincinnati Conservatory of Music. Despite the fact that they are both excellent music programs, he didnā€™t really feel a connection to either of those. He felt like FSU and Michigan were fairly similar, and since we are from Georgia and if accepted, he would get a significant scholarship (automatic 50%), he didnā€™t see a compelling reason to pursue Michigan. Cincinnati was too urban for him.

I look forward to walking this journey with you all!

8 Likes

@MommaBerd is he applying only to BM programs or also BA or dual degree?

My kid is a composer at Cleveland institute of music. If I can answer any questions please let me know.

1 Like

@compmom Just BM programs.

@Doransa Wow! Thanks so much! Iā€™ll see if I can PM you.