Class rank and ACT score

My daughter applied to A&M with a class rank of 2nd quarter and ACT score of 34. Is there any possibility of acceptance?

@anxiousmom -
First, 34 is an amazing ACT score ??
She won’t be auto or academic acceptance into A&M since she’s in the 2nd quarter, but depending on her extra curriculars, leadership, essay, position within 2nd quarter, etc - she might have a fairly good shot during holistic review.

I agree with @bargainshopper75 not enough info for a good analysis. Your daughter is obviously very smart. If her course rigor is strong too, that’ll help explain low ranking. It’s just so hard to chance 2nd quarter candidates but wow that ACT. Please keep us posted.

One thought is to use Naviance, if your daughter’s school has it, to look at the scattergrams for TAMU. That might give you a better picture and context, of how 2nd quartile applicants do from your school (if there’s enough data to analyze). As has been previously mentioned, chancing review applicants is ‘parlour games’ for TAMU. It’s such a numbers thing that there’s no way to predict. Did TAMU rank her in 2nd quarter, or did her school?

IMHO the scattergrams in Naviance are pretty worthless for TAMU right now. The number of review applicants gaining full admission has dropped significantly in the past couple of years, down from 16% in 2018 to 7.53% in 2019. That’s a 51% drop in one year alone. And since Naviance uses historical data from 5 or 7 years - the scattergrams show an inflated chance of getting in. Plus we don’t know where Naviance places alternative admissions on the chart. And if you look at our High School’s applied/admitted it shows 41% admitted. Considering TAMU reports a 66.62% FTIC admitted rate, I think our admitted rate is low (High performing school with 11 NMF). I would expect our admitted rate to be near the average - not 20 points off.