Class rank being eliminated from our high school. How much of problem is this for being ranked #1?

And from MIT:

Please don’t be overly concerned about your class rank or GPA (grade point average) or even whether your school calculates them . With our holistic admissions process, we’re much more interested in how an applicant “fits” with our culture than if they were No. 1 in their school.

4 Likes

You’re being too literal…name your top school that does. I’m simply giving an anecdote as to why schools are removing or d emphasizing rank.

1 Like

Stanford considers class rank…but it’s amongst a long list of things Stanford uses.

I’m being literal on purpose. The fact is…class rank is determined in so many different ways as to be less than helpful. Sure, a number one kid might get a check for that, but my guess…it was NOT the only reason the OPs kid was admitted to some college. It was one factor.

2 Likes

Most likely, he received many top admission offers due to the totality of an excellent application - and also happened to be #1 in his class. Chances are, the result would have been identical if class rank was not available

The math is simple - add up all the high schools in the country, times 2 for Sal/Val - there aren’t enough spots in the top universities’ freshperson classes to admit them all.
Evidently the arbitrary #1/#2 ranking does not auto-admit you to the top universities - in fact, the majority of admitted students reported NO rank at all.

4 Likes

Since the OP is leaving the thread, and since this is an issue that’s been covered in several past threads, and since this has just become a debate, it’s time to close.

3 Likes