Class Rank vs GPA at UM

<p>which one is more important... please tell me GPA... and do if i were to apply EA, would they consider my senior grades/schedule?</p>

<p>They are both considered. My guess would be GPA, because class rank can vary a lot depending on which type of high school you go to. Just like any college, they will admit some based more heavily on GPA, others on class rank, and others with their improvement throughout high school. UF does the same thing.</p>

<p>Hey all, I have a quick question.
I have a 4.0 overall GPA. My SAT's are Reading - 620, Writing 630, math 570 (I'm retaking the sat's). I'm Student Body President of a 3000 student school. The position is like a full time job. It is heaped with responsibility. I'm involved in other clubs and NHS. But Student Body President thing pretty much takes up all my time. (I've been in Student Government - which is a class -all four years of high school. I was Junior Class President last year.)
I have great recs.
Wondering is a recommendation from the Principle is a good idea besides academic references?
Because my high school is competitive I am only in the top 20% with the new way of scoring (I would have been 10% according to the old rules)</p>

<p>I was Pre IB for 9th and 10th grades. The reason my my GPA isn't as high is because in the beginning of my 10th grade, my family moved from Arizona to PA. My 17 year old brother died the same week - he was killed in an accident! So I only did 6 months at the PA school and then moved back to AZ to finish my school years back at my old school where I knew people. (We had never been to PA before) My essay explains that is why my GPA dropped to 3.6 at that time. I've taken all honors and AP since.
So, what chance to you think I will have to get in?
Any suggestions?
I am interested in Broadcast Journalism.
Thanks <em>smile</em></p>

<p>Ah, PLEASE SOMEONE answer and help me!!!!!!!!!!!!</p>

<p>Please????</p>

<p>If your 4.0 is unweighted, I would bet you will get admitted.</p>

<p>godawgs~ go for the EA, as UM responds really early(did you do Part I? it was due 10/1, i think? )WHATEVER schools you apply to will request "7th semester reports" from your high school...updated grades, and new awards, etc. go to them then. my d's school did not rank, and she got in EA. rank is becoming less important i think, for lots of statistical reasons.
azsummer~ good you included the reason for your difficulties in your essay. YOUR ECS ARE AWESOME! i think your GPA is perfectly fine, but your SATs are a bit borderline, i think, but always check the most recent stats on their website. good luck to you both!!!</p>

<p>Thanks happycollegemom, I meet the reading and writing, but yeah, the math... I took the SAT on Saturday so hopefully I did better on the math section.
Anyone else have any advice or suggestions?
How about school recommendations for me? I'm not looking to get into an Ivy, but I also don't want to go to a community college! AH!</p>

<p>az~ you might even be ok with the math, just no scholarship. DUh...community college NOT!</p>

<p><keeping my="" fingers="" and="" toes="" crossed!=""></keeping></p>

<p>Has ANYONE gotten in with my low stats??? I pray my math score was better this time around on the October SAT. But, since I'm interested in Broadcast Journalism, is it really necessary for me to be a math expert?</p>

<p>I got a 620 in math! Yay! I've got all mid 600 scores now! Woot! Woot!</p>

<p>WAY TO GO, AZ!!! doesn't that get you in pretty comfortably now?</p>