Class registration advice

<p>I will be going to the Bama Bound in early June. I have heard from several people that classes are already beginning to fill up. Does anybody have advice on how I can make sure to get the classes I need E.g. Chemisty and Biology I.</p>

<p>A few seats in most 100 level classes are held back for each Bama Bound session. If you don’t get the class you need at your session then log on the morning of the next Bama Bound date and look to see if any seats have opened up. </p>

<p>You can tell how many seats each class usually has by looking at last fall’s course list. </p>

<p>Lil bro didn’t really get anything he was hoping to get in regards to times and profs last year during his session. But over the course of the next 3 BB sessions we got him all the classes he was looking for. He ended up with no classes before 11am no classes starting later than 3:30 and no classes on Fridays. It was a schedule from Heaven. </p>

<p>So don’t fret if you don’t get what you want at your original session. you can always drop/add throughout all the other sessions.</p>

<p>D will be attending the last BB. Just couldn’t fit it in earlier. I am worried too, she has almost 60 AP/CLEP credits, so she will be ready for more 200/300 level classes. Will everything be gone? Will she just be out of luck? How likely are they to accept a Freshman on wait lists?</p>

<p>What happens if she can’t get into any of the classes she needs? Will she just have to take fluff and stuff to fill the hours, or retake core classes she already has credit for until 2nd semester?</p>

<p>Wow, I am starting to worry almost as much as LadyDi:D</p>

<p>Classes open up throughout the summer, so your D will be able to get the classes she needs. Coming in with 60 credits, she needs to know what courses she needs before Bama Bound. It would be very beneficial to get in touch with an advisor and find out exactly what she needs, especially if her department has a separate upper division. </p>

<p>As a general tip, it is a VERY GOOD IDEA to make connections with advisors and administrators ie have friends in high places. As Garth Brooks sings, it is also good to have friends in low places. :)</p>

<p>ST - how do you find out who your advisor is? Do you start with the Dept Chair or Head of the Dept? It’s been discussed many times on this forum, if you have taken the AP but its your major- do you retake it? S has taken Psych 101 which seemed like a good idea at the time. But, he would ideally start with Honors Psych at Bama, so now he doesn’t know what to do, does this put him at a disadvantage not starting at the beginning?</p>

<p>Nicolle…</p>

<p>Your D has a lot of AP credits. Is there anything she’s lacking? She probably is probably lacking Fine Arts and Literature credits, right? So, she should start with them.</p>

<p>If she takes CBHP…4 credits
some kind of honors Fine Arts…3 credits
some kind of Literature…3 credits</p>

<p>Then, she could take something for fun…</p>

<p>Is she lacking any other Core req’ts? How about Social Behavior Science? If so, then the IHP class is good for that. You don’t have to be in IHP to take that class.</p>

<p>Malanai’s son went to the last BB session and got his classes. Any problems that you have will essentially be a one semester problem. After frosh fall semester, it’s much easier to sign up for classes.</p>

<p>Idinct…Is your son a psych major? (I keep forgetting everyone’s major…I need a cheat list)</p>

<p>Psychology Department Advising
Almost all faculty in the department have some responsibility for undergraduate academic advising. We share advising responsibilities among the faculty, with each faculty member typically assigned about 15 – 20 student majors to advise per year. Advising for most freshmen and first semester sophomores is conducted in small groups. During the first 18 months of your Undergraduate experience, you are expected to complete basic core requirements and advising will necessarily focus on that. </p>

<p>You will be assigned an individual advisor in the department after completing 45 hours of coursework and you are expected to continue with the same advisor until you graduate. Of course, if you decide it is in your best interest to change advisors, you may do so if the person that you choose has an opening or grants permission for you to be added to her/his advising list. Your advisor can and should be much more than the person who signs your registration form. You should also get together with your advisor to discuss your long-range plans. Your advisor can offer you valuable advice about the program, other academic matters, application for graduate study, and careers.</p>

<p>Sea_tide is right about making some contact with one’s adviser. My son did so before his late June Bama Bound session two years ago. On the day of registration, we met the adviser, who looked at his schedule and decided he needed to make one adjustment. The course offerings showed no openings in that class, but one phone call, and my son got that class. </p>

<p>nicollec: Your daughter should get the classes she wants/needs. My son did, and he even went back online and tinkered with his schedule. BTW, her credit numbers will allow her to select classes very early with spring registration.</p>

<p>Your daughter should have no problem getting the classes she “needs”, it just takes a click from an advisor/prof. to open a spot, no one wants her major path to be delayed. Just make sure and not focus on getting the classes she “wants” though, as far as specific Honors classes, writing seminars etc. There are many great ones to choose from so make sure she is prepared with a list of choices for that. Fill in the core requirements first then go from there.</p>

<p>Son just looked at his schedule and the other sections for his classes and noticed that all sections of PHY 106 are now closed. He is worried that he will be stuck in his physics class and not be able to adjust his schedule once professors are announced that are still TBA. Son is sophomore standing, soon to be junior standing, and will need PHY 106 for his engineering classes. </p>

<p>What is the process to go about being put on the waiting list? How are you informed if you go off the waiting list?</p>

<p>When can son “tweak” his schedule? Is it only during Bama Bound dates? If so, where do we find when the Bama Bound dates are going on and registration is open again?</p>

<p>Thanks for any help.</p>

<p>Your son can tweak his schedule anytime. If he sees an opening, he can take it.</p>

<p>To get an on the waiting list for a class:

1. Make sure there is a waiting list (not all classes have them)
  2. Make sure you’re not enrolled in another section of the same class
  3. Put the CRN number of the class you want to wait list in the box and click submit changes.
  4. an error message will appear and tell you the class is full and ask you what you want to do.
  5. select add to wait list in the drop down menu of the error message and click submit.</p>

<p>I don’t think you get an email when you come off the waiting list but you can just check your detailed schedule from time to time to see if you’ve been added to the class.</p>

<p>Thanks m2ck. Hmm on the psych advisor thing. He is going to have to speak to someone about his specific situation. He has taken the two intro or core classes psych 101 and stats. I guess he can just plan on taking the next level psych that interests him until someone tells him otherwise. I’m sure he can probably fit in only one psych class first semester anyway. Not sure if they will tell him to take the intro class anyway.</p>

<p>Re: Waitlist</p>

<p>Also, make sure that you don’t have a time conflict and make sure that you’re not already at your credit limit for the semester. </p>

<p>The above can be a problem if you have already scheduled a “back up” class in case you don’t come off the WL.</p>

<p>Sometimes it’s just easier to email the prof and see if you can be added. </p>

<p>Also, if the classroom is such that it has “stationary seating” then often the prof can’t add you because there won’t be a seat for you…or …there may be fire limits for the room.</p>

<p>Does anyone know if entire classes will not open up until BB? Degreeworks says my son should take a couple of intro engineering classes (DR 100 and GES 131) but they are not listed as classes that will be available in the fall. Trying to get organized for BB next week.</p>

<p>my son should take a couple of intro engineering classes (DR 100 and GES 131)</p>

<p>Hi…Degreeworks needs to be fixed in regards to that.</p>

<p>Those classes no longer exist. They’ve been replaced with a Freshman Engineering program. Let me get you the link and info…</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1131632-freshmen-engineering-program.html?highlight=engineering[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1131632-freshmen-engineering-program.html?highlight=engineering&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>another link
<a href=“http://coeweb.eng.ua.edu/fep/[/url]”>http://coeweb.eng.ua.edu/fep/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>That said…in some cases …entire class sections will sometimes be added for various classes.</p>