Class Registration at May BamaBound

Hello–just a few questions as I try to get some ideas together for my advising and registration session later this month:

Can I use AP credits to fulfill general education requirements? Are there any limits on this?
For example: I got a 5 on the AP English Language exam, which gives me 6 credit hours under the FC designation. The UA 2015 Undergraduate Catalog says that each student just needs 6 hours of FC credit. So, would I have to take any additional courses designated FC?

Do you get credit based off of taking one of the foreign language placement exams or is that just for placement?

Thanks for the help!

Yes, AP credits can fill your ‘core requirements’. FC is the designation for freshman composition, if your AP test grants you 6 credits of FC credit, then your freshman composition requirement is filled and you will not need to take the freshman composition courses. There will be additional humanities credits required depending upon your major.

I believe, if you take the foreign language placement exam, then if you place in level 200 or higher and you take the course that you place into, you can get credit for the lower level courses. Details are here: http://testing.ua.edu/fl_assess.html If you want credit without taking additional courses, then many here recommend the CLEP exam for which you can get up to 14 credits of language credit and are not required to take additional courses to gain the credit.