Class registration waitlist

<p>How does the waitlist work when trying to register for classes? Are more classes formed if there are big waitlists? Does the student get a notice when there is an opening in the section?</p>

<p>I’m not certain how it all works, but I know that if you are put on the waitlist, then you need to make sure that you have that time “empty” on your schedule so that if a spot opens, you can be put in the class.</p>

<p>At some point, the WL gets cancelled. </p>

<p>I don’t know if the number on the WL affects the opening of a new section, but I guess if the dept hears that many students need that class, then another is open. I’m not sure if there is a limit to how many can be on the WL. If there is a limit than the “need” can be greater than the WL will indicate.</p>

<p>There is another thread that I started on this very topic - read through it, and PM me later if I can answer any questions. The # allowed on the waitlist is specific to a class, so some classes have 5, some 10, some 15, some 999 (unlimited)… Sometimes they will open more seats (when UA looks at everyone on the waitlists) - this happened in my S’s math class and they added 5 more seats to accommodate the waitlist. At time of registration (ie., entering the CRN), students are given an indication of what # on the waitlist they are. If it is low (1-3, say), your chances would have been good, but this late in the reg ‘season’, if you have not been moved automatically, I’d say your chances are slim. You’ll have to appeal or choose a different section/class. As the instructions say (link is in the thread I mentioned), you should literally just ‘wait’ once you’re on the wait list. Every night, in some sort of batch process, the computers place students in any open seats - they allocate them in order, so it is NO USE to try and grab any open seats you see (if you are on the wait list) - those are reserved for people ahead of you (who have not yet moved off the list and into the class). The process works automatically. But at this point, it will not hurt to try and talk w/ people (professors, advisors, dept staff). They can give you advice about whether you should continue to wait or try another section/class. Hope this all helps. Try to find the other thread - it details my S’s waitlist journey, which was angst ridden, but worked out in the end, and we both learned a lot in the process.</p>

<p>Thanks for the information. I am freaking a bit because DS is registered for 12 units and could use another class- a humanities or social/behavioral science. He is waitlisted for a 3 unit class.</p>