Class Registration

<p>So, how do students sign for classes at registration? Do I do it by myself or is there an adviser sitting with me?
I signed up for the second session. Does that mean I am going to be able to get the CS courses I want to take? Intro in problem solving in CS as well as the data structure courses?</p>

<p>If you mean Summer Session II you should be able to sign up through HokieSpa now.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, there are no guarantees you will get the times let alone the courses you want. </p>

<p>@rjldm25‌ But, don’t I have to sign up during orientation? I mean I am an incoming freshman.</p>

<p>So how does registration work during orientation? Do I have to sit with an adviser and select classes OR do it myself after my adviser prepares a rough schedule? Also, do I only register for fall classes during orientation?</p>

<p>@bboop42‌ Will I know for sure on the day of orientation at least about the class availability?</p>

<p>Yes. Normally, the Engineering advisor will have already signed you up for required courses like Engr Education, Chem, etc. (depending on AP credits received). It is very difficult to change those times. You get what you get unless a spot opens up. They will even caution you not to try and switch given if by chance you drop the class to add an open one and someone beats you to it, you will not be force added back to the original one. So be careful if you try to do this. Then, at orientation, you will pick from the available CLE classes or other classes you may want/need to “fill in” the rest of your schedule. Keep in mind that the earlier orientations do get first dibs on classes so being later in the process does work to a disadvantage (unless they have changed this).</p>

<p>@bboop42‌ Thanks for the clarity. I am signed for the second summer orientation session. That’s good I think (in fact, I believe that is the first Engineering session). So, as you probably already know, starting this year they removed linear and vector and added them to single calc and multi calc respectively. So, I am actually able to skip (due to AP credits) Chemistry & Chem lab & natural science stuff (cuz I got a 5 on the AP Chem), single variable calc (both classes), probably 1 semester of Eng (think I will get a 3 on the AP lang), the intro computer science course. So, what will my adviser do? I mean I have lots of space. Don’t they have to start giving me the upper level CS courses now. Here’s what I want my schedule to be. Do you think it will be possible, considering all the space in the world that I have?</p>

<p>FALL:</p>

<p>EngE 1024
CLE
CS 2114
Math 2224
English 1106</p>

<p>SPRING:</p>

<p>EngE 1104
Phys 2305
Should I take Discrete Math OR DiffEQ? Any suggestions. I will have take both sooner or later.
CS 2104 - Intro to problem solving in CS
What else should I take… maybe another CLE. </p>

<p>So, what will the adviser sign me up for fall semester? I really don’t want to take physics then. I want to take it during spring sem. She literally has to sign me up for 2 EngE, 1 English course, 1 Phys. that’s it… I’m afraid that she will sign me up for physics for fall.</p>

<p>You only sign up for Fall Classes. You submit your Spring Classes Request for around October 22nd and the results (ie: what classes they schedule you in) are posted around December 1st. At that time, you can begin to play with moving things around if availability exists.</p>

<p>Your advisor will schedule the EngE class. You will schedule the others. Looking at the system as of today, there are about 70 open slots in CS 2114, 10 spaces in Math224 and lots of openings for Engl 1106.</p>

<p>Oh ok thanks! I can access that system as well. I just can’t sign up for classes. So, I assume during orientation they are gonna assign me a computer and I sign in via hokie spa. </p>

<p>My son took the following electives and while nothing is an “easy” A, they were very doable, depending on the professor you get. PHIL 2304 Global Ethics (Area 2&7), REL 2124 Religion in America (Area 2&7), GEOG 1014 World Regions (Area 3), HD 1004 Human Development (Area 3), FA2004 Creativity in the Aesthic Envioronment (1cr Area 6). He is a Senior in ME so I do not have much information on the CS classes.</p>