Class Schedule Question

<p>Hello! So, I see all over CC that you’re supposed to bring a tentative class schedule with you to Bama Bound. Some of you suggested using Excel to create a spreadsheet with the days of the week accross the top and the times in half hour intervals on the side. I guess I don’t understand how I’m supposed to have 2-3 options in each time slot? That seems like it will be incredibly confusing and disorganized to have so many classes when I am at orientation. Also, how do you know when the classes will be held; is there somewhere that lists times and professors for classes this fall? I feel like I’m missing something here. Any explanation would be appreciated! Thanks.</p>

<p>Go to MyBama and click on Look up classes. Then look up by dept.</p>

<p>Wow! I can’t believe I missed that one. Thank you!</p>

<p>To look up classes log onto your mybama account, under the student tab click on look up classes, enter fall 2012 and then look for your classes. If you have 4-5 classes you are planning to take just start looking at them and you will be able to work out several options. </p>

<p>What I mean is certain classes are offered MWF, MW and TR while others are only MW or a certain time. Some classes are offered all day while others only have a few times or maybe an evening lab. Start filling in the spots and looking up the prof’s on rate my professor. Once you get that done then you will need to have a back up plan or two in case one or more of the classes you want are full at the time you want them.</p>

<p>On my son’s excel spread sheet we used black for the “propsed schedule” if he can get all of those great but if not there are options options which will work without overlap for several of the courses and those are in blue or red for 2nd or 3rd options.</p>

<p>You really just need to start playing around with your classes and it will start to become clearer for you what your options are :)</p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>I am using one of these calendar templates: [Free</a> Weekly Class Schedule Template for Excel](<a href=“http://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates/class-schedule-template.html]Free”>Weekly Class Schedule Template for Excel)</p>

<p>I haven’t quite figured out how to put 3 choices on one page, but I currently have 3 separate pages filled in based on having different classes at different times. I need to fine-tune it for BB - but hopefully I will have the options prioritized from best to worst. (Why is it that I am doing this and not my son?!?!?!)</p>

<p>I would tweak that excel file to have wider rows and also take out some hours and give half hours their own cell.</p>

<p>There are different forms to choose from on that page with different time increments, but yes…you can format it any way you like. I actually just print them out and fill in the classes with pencil. I think once I get a close-to-final version I will move it into excel so it is easier to read and can include more info like the course numbers.</p>

<p>this might be a dumb question, but how do I figure out what classes i should/need to take? and when searching for classes by department am I limited to certain ones like my major or UHP?</p>

<p>Oh, okay I see what you’re saying. I will probably use that idea with the different colors for 2nd and 3rd choices. Thanks for the tip, CrimsonMom!</p>

<p>Many of the departments have these Finish in Four checksheets on their web pages that give you suggested schedules semester by semester. Of course, if you have a lot of AP/transfer credits they might not be as helpful to you, but you can see what classes you’re going to need and the sequence that’s suggested for taking them. Check to see if your department has one. You’re not limited to your major; I think if you’ve satisfied the prerequisites you can take just about any class. My D is finding that many of the classes she wants are already filled with upperclassmen, so that might be a limiting factor as well.</p>

<p>Yes, I found the Finish in Four outlines; they’re very helpful. With my AP/dual credit classes it looks like I’m going to be a semester ahead so I just have to move some stuff around. I do have a question regarding that though. I’m a business major and it says 1st semester to take MATH 100, 2nd semester MATH 112, and 3rd semester MATH 121. However, I placed into MATH 121 or MATH 125. So if I take MATH 121 my 1st semester, have I satisfied my entire math requirement? Or will I just move on to upper level math?</p>

<p>^^ You will have satisfied your math requirement. But you can always take more math. If you’re an Econ or Finance major more math is always a good idea. If you’re planning on more math you probably want to take MATH 125 instead of 121.</p>

<p>That’s great to hear! Thanks :)</p>

<p>If you place out of Math 121 and Math 125 through a high score on the AP Cal exam, do you still need to take a math class? Or are you done?</p>

<p>What is your major? For many majors you would be done. But, for some STEM majors, you wouldn’t be.</p>

<p>You have credits for AP Cal AB? That’s 4 credits of Math.</p>

<p>I’m a philosophy major right now, but I know by the end of my freshman year I will probably have added a second major and possibly changed this one. One of those could likely end up being chemistry, biology, or some other STEM major, so I’m considering myself a tentative STEM major.</p>

<p>And yes, because I assume Alabama doesn’t give credit for BC (which I thought was the only Cal exam), I would get credit for AP Cal AB.</p>

<p>Also, and this is a very different questions, some classes on the course catalogue go by the same name, but just have a different number and slightly different description (for instance, I’m looking at PHL 103 AND PHL 106–both are Honors Deductive Logic). How do I know which I should be taking?</p>

<p>And yes, because I assume Alabama doesn’t give credit for BC (which I thought was the only Cal exam), I would get credit for AP Cal AB.</p>

<p>???</p>

<p>Bama gives credit for BC…where did you get the idea that it doesn’t. If you score well on BC, then you get 8 credits…Cal I and Cal II</p>

<p>The AP credit page has the BC exam misspelled. Perhaps that is where XXjcat got that idea. </p>

<p>But while UA gives 8 credits for only a score of 3 on the BC exam, the chair of the math department does not advise skipping 125 and 126 based on a 3. I suppose it would be fine if that completes your math requirement and you wouldn’t be building on those concepts in some other major. In our meeting, he emphasized the ‘math maturity’ of the student when making that decision and said it is very important to know the ‘whys’ of calculus and not just the ‘hows’. He indicated that a 5 would give him a warmer feeling than a 3.</p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>weird…never noticed that. Well, there is no AC test, so yes, that’s the BC exam.</p>