Classes canceled

<p>Call just came that classes are canceled as of 3:15 pm and operations at UA are canceled.</p>

<p>Can I ask, how much snow would mandate that the school closes.</p>

<p>I understand the Crimson Ride will stop running at 4 pm, but… what about the dining halls? Will those stay open? I’m wondering what my oldest DS would have for dinner otherwise because I think he has been strictly eating on campus and probably has nothing in his room.</p>

<p>Per an email sent out to students:</p>

<p>Crimson Ride will continue regular routes until 4 p.m. today. At that time, perimeter routes will start and will continue until 10 p.m. 348RIDE will operate from 10 p.m. today to 9 a.m. tomorrow. At 9 a.m. Friday, the regular routes will start again. </p>

<p>Bama Dining will continue operations of all facilities until 3:15 p.m. today. Tonight, Burke Dining and Lakeside Dining will be open for meal plans. Julia’s will be open in Tutwiler, and the food court in Ferguson will remain open as long as weather permits.</p>

<p>Thank you BamaMomof3!</p>

<p>You’re welcome :)</p>

<p>NYBama - My son said this was “legit snow - maybe an inch or two”. Couldn’t tell from his email if he was being facetious or not. (we used to live up near the Yukon Territory of Canada is why I mention that as a possibility) Now, for us northerners and those from hearty stock, this is NOTHING, and stop laughing. But, because it is unusual and people are not used to driving in it and dealing with it, it is easier to shut things down and keep people off the streets.</p>

<p>Remember that it is not economically feasible for southern cities to own snow equipment, so there is no way to spread salt or gravel to improve road conditions.</p>

<p>A rare hard freeze on the numerous overpasses will cause black ice to form in wet weather causing hidden, deadly road conditions.</p>

<p>Aeromom,
Thanks and I completely get it when the area isn’t accustomed to snow there isn’t a need for major preparedness. We are so used to snow here that 6-8 inches wouldn’t close even a nursery school. But we also have mountains of salt in storage pens and lots of salt and plow trucks that even after a blizzard most major roadways are cleared in a short while.</p>

<p>In the town where we lived, we were told that back in the 70’s, schools were closed (only!) because the snow drifts were so high, kids were tripping over the telephone lines along the tops of snow banks when they walked to school. This town also holds (held?) the Canadian record for most snowfall in a 24-hour period. Our snow blower was the size of a Mini Cooper*, and had a 30" auger out the front. Ah, I miss it! :slight_smile:
*ok, I exaggerate a bit there, but it was a large beast of a machine</p>

<p>I think my D was in high school before she had her first snow day here in northern Illinois. It takes a LOT of snow, at just the right time, for them to cancel school here (although I can think of a few times when they should have closed the schools and didn’t). I’m sure she’s thrilled to go south and get a snow day right away! There are some great hills on campus, but I wouldn’t guess the sledding would be that good on an inch of snow.</p>

<p>^^^You’d be surprised how industrious Southern kids can be with a little bit of snow :)</p>

<p>I want pictures!!</p>

<p>The UA Athletics and other UA organizations have posted great snow pics on Facebook.</p>

<p>The latest is of the stadium seats and field COVERED in Snow!</p>

<p>James Spann has posted pics & video of a giant snowball fight on the quad on his FB :)</p>

<p>Going to be a sloppy wet parade tomorrow…</p>

<p>My son just sent pics of the snowball fight. He said it was the best and largest snowball fight he had ever been a part of. And in one of the pictures he is standing next to a University sign that is covered in snow. In the snow is written “Snow Tide”! What a magical place the University of Alabama has turned out to be!</p>

<p>So glad that the students are having a great time in the snow. We are from Florida so this is a real treat for my D.</p>

<p>Snow Tide sounds awesome. I wonder if there will be a t-shirt to commemorate the snow!?! ;)</p>

<p>YAY! and YAY! I am Soooooooo jealous right now.</p>

<p>Bama Dining posted FB pictures of kids sledding near Lakeside Dining. They appeared to be using their laundry baskets. Good that they’re getting some use out of them.</p>