Classes that are full but have all their waiting list spaces open

<p>Ds is trying to work on his schedule before BamaBound. Several of his classes are upper level classes. How likely is a student to get off the waiting list? (All of the class sections are full, but 2of the sections have all 10 waiting list spaces available.) If someone drops the class, are they automatically bumped into the class? </p>

<p>Do professors ever allow an extra student into the class or when classes are full, they are full?</p>

<p>He is just trying to decide is he needs to rearrange his course choices.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>The individual departments handle overrides into classes. Overrides into classes with full waiting lists are very unlikely.</p>

<p>In the event a space opens up, someone from the waiting list will be added to the class. There may be a period of time when a class shows as having space avail and has people on the waitlist. Do not leave the waitlist and try to add the class as this is phantom availability; the seat is already allocated to the first person on the waitlist.</p>

<p>He should be in contact with the department head and departmental advisor to figure out which upper division classes he should be taking. They can arrange for any overrides for their department’s courses and tell him who to contact for overrides other departments. Each department has a specific person, usually an office associate, who processes overrides. </p>

<p>Thanks for the info. He has contacted the dept twice now trying to find the name of an adviser he could talk to prior to BamaBound but has gotten no response. Right now he is working off the flow chart that is posted online.</p>

<p>Are the odds of an override higher if he is the only one on the waitlist?</p>

<p>Getting into a class from a wait list does depend somewhat on the class and the professor. It depends on the size of the original class, how many sections there are (i.e., how many alternatives there are), whether the class is a vital core class (i.e., it is a pre-req for a subsequent class), etc. </p>

<p>I’ve seen some students get into some classes from wait lists (someone added students well above the # allowed in a section) and I’ve seen other sections where they adhere to the # allowed in that section, thus taking no one from waiting lists. For 1 class my S was never pulled from the wait list, despite being 1st on it…and in another instance, he was 5th on the wait list and he eventually got in (not on an override - he was legit pulled from the waiting list).</p>

<p>My advice, since he is an incoming F, is to rearrange the schedule, because you cannot guarantee overrides or spots opening up. Especially with more and more students attending BB over the summer, and potentially them wanting those same courses…it would be wise to pick open classes at this point. You can always try to tweak the schedule later, but I would advise to go for what is open and available at this point. Once he actually on campus and has priority registration in subsequent semesters (assuming he is/stays in Honors College), the reg process will become easier. Good luck with your choices!</p>

<p>It really isn’t a class that would be in demand for many incoming freshman. He can rearrange his schedule, though. But in that case, he would really need help from an adviser that is willing to spend some time with him.</p>

<p>Does he have to meet with an advisor in his declared major? He switched majors to EE instead of physics bc he plans on doubling and this way he could qualify for the engineering scholarship. He hasn’t had any luck getting anyone from the engineering dept to answer his questions whereas the physics dept has been great. </p>

<p>Or I guess another better question might be is how good is the advising at BamaBound for students that are not on a typical freshman/sophomore track but need to take some jr level courses at the same time as things like intro engineering classes? Would he better off trying to work out a plan with someone from the physics dept so that at BamaBound he already has a plan established?</p>

<p>DS has a great advisor in the engineering college. The advisors are assigned by students surname. Have you contacted the assigned advisor?
Try to contact his advisor directly via e-mail and copy the head of the department. Here is advisor link: <a href=“http://students.eng.ua.edu/advising/find-your-advisor/”>http://students.eng.ua.edu/advising/find-your-advisor/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Is your son an honors student? If yes, consider loading up on the Honors Foundation courses.</p>

<p>Most Engineering flow charts have core HI/SB/HU requirements in junior year. Are there any core requirements he can take?</p>

<p>Also – if he is coming in with AP credits, I think it is worthwhile to pay now to have APs thru 11th grade sent. If Dual credits, have they been sent to Bama? Both APs and dual will show up on DegreeWorks before BamaBound and can be helpful with registration.</p>

<p>@Longhaul Thank you so much for that link. He had not seen it before. He tried emailing the dean and the secretary for a name. </p>

<p>He has sent his AP scores and his DE credits prior to this school yr and they are showing up in his DegreeWorks. He is ordering a new transcript to be sent as soon as available after he finishes finals next week.</p>

<p>He is a CHBPer and those courses cover his honor’s requirements. The main issue is that he really wants to triple major and while he can meet the flow of 2 majors pretty easily, he is having difficulty trying to figure out how to include the third on his own. It is not an unrealistic goal, but he definitely needs an adviser’s input on how to approach things right from the beginning.</p>

<p>@Mom2aphysicsgeek If he doesn’t hear from his Engineering Advisor, then contact Honor’s College. They cannot help with the schedule, but they can and will help put you in contact with someone who will help. I can tell you DS Advisor responded to his e-mail even while she was away from Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>@longhaul Thank you so much for your help! I have passed on all your advice to ds. It is appreciated. :)</p>

<p>So do you think that second semester kids in this situation will have a better chance of getting the higher level classes?</p>

<p>Registration after your 1st semester is done based on the amount of earned hours you have and whether you are ‘priority’ (i.e., in Honors College, distance learner, or grad student). See here for an example of the time frame for this current semester: <a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/services/mystudent/registration-and-advising/summerfall-2014-registration-and-advising/”>http://registrar.ua.edu/services/mystudent/registration-and-advising/summerfall-2014-registration-and-advising/&lt;/a&gt; Note that they include only EARNED hours and also does NOT include hours you are currently taking, so for FR, their Fall hours will not have been earned yet when they register for Spring. Also, when they register for the next Fall (So year), their current Spring hours won’t yet count.</p>

<p>Thank you! </p>

<p>"He is a CHBPer and those courses cover his honor’s requirements. "</p>

<p>Just to clarify, a CBHPer still needs to complete 6 credits of Honors Foundation courses outside of CBH.</p>

<p>Thanks for the heads up. Ds was under the impression that CBHP met the requirements bc of this:
" The Computer-Based Honors Program constitutes an academic minor for those students completing its requirements and the classes count toward the 18 total hours needed to complete the requirements of the Honors College." <a href=“http://courseleaf.ua.edu/honors/computer_based_honors_program/”>http://courseleaf.ua.edu/honors/computer_based_honors_program/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Either way, 6 hrs should be fairly simple to meet. He is planning on Eng 103 which is honors. And I’m sure one more is not a big deal over 4 yrs. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>In our experience, it is quite poor. But my D was a business major, not engineering, so it may be different in engineering. If I had not spent a great deal of time poring over requirements and understanding the catalog and then explaining it to D, she would have followed the bad advice she got at BB. I don’t think the advisors were equipped (or had the time) to deal with students who were off the beaten track. D’s advisor literally spent less than 2 minutes with her (although she spent 20 minutes with the person right before her). </p>

<p>As for honors, CBH will satisfy all but the 6 honors seminar hours. And EN 103 will not satisfy the honors seminar hours either. Only the UH classes (and 1 IHP class and maybe a random couple others) - not departmental honors classes - satisfy those. Between CBH and departmental honors, my D has more than the required 18 total honors hours, but she still needs the UH seminar hours.</p>

<p>What are honors seminars hours then exactly? When I look through this list, I don’t see many that are just seminar hours. <a href=“http://honors.ua.edu/academics/honors-courses/all-courses/”>http://honors.ua.edu/academics/honors-courses/all-courses/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Never mind. I see now. Originally the page didn’t fully load and I didn’t see that there are classes designated just UH. Looking through that list, I have a feeling those will be 2nd semester sr courses! </p>

<p>They seem to have changed the word “seminar” to “foundation” now, on website and in DegreeWorks. I think they want to clarify that it is not just the 1-2 hour mostly-freshman seminars (including OA and AA) that will fulfill the 6 hour requirement, but any UH listed course. Many interesting choices out there including ones that will also fulfill the FA and Writing requirements.</p>