Classmates Got Accepted Into Texas A&M

This past weekend I found out two of my classmates have been accepted to Texas A&M. What puzzles me is that they’re both below me in the class rankings, and from what I’ve heard they have lower test scores from me too… Now, I’m 100% sure I’m above them in class rankings, (I’m only two people away from being in the top 10%) & I’m fairly confident they made lower test scores. For the sake of keeping their identities private, I’ll call one Applicant A & Applicant B. Applicant A has an SAT Score rumored to be around 940-990 (assume it’s true), Very active in Rodeo, livestock, and similar extracurriculars like that. Does not have a very rigorous course selection (Few Pre-Ap courses in the person’s entire 4 years attending our high school ). Applicant B, rumored to have an SAT about the same as mine (SAT Score of 1080. Just adding this but I also have an ACT score of 22) has a bit lower GPA than mine (My GPA is 3.54 but my I’m about 8-10 spots ahead of that person in the class rankings so go figure). Applicant B is a cheerleader, active as well in livestock, agriculture-like extracurriculars. Applicant B has a slightly higher rigour course selection but only just one or two more advanced courses. Both of these applicants are white, female, and from high income status families. Both are in NHS (I’m not). I’m a Mexican-Born 1st generation immigrant with DACA status who has lived in a small, rural town, just 40 minutes away from Texas A&M University nearly all my life. My extracurriculars aren’t that impressive (4 years of soccer club, 1 or 2 in Spanish club, 3 years in UIL competition, 3 other extracurriculars that I’ve done for a year). The best award that I have ever won was 2nd place in a VFW Patriotic Art contest that gave me a $200 prize. I feel like if they got in, maybe I can to. I’m nervously waiting for a response at the moment. Thank you for reading as this was a very lengthy thread and any help about my chances will be greatly appreciated!

The other applicants have pretty good extracurriculars, but not great SAT scores so I’m a bit worried about the 1080. As a student who applied to Texas A&M this year, I think there’s a good chance you could get in because youre close to the top 10% and you have some extracurriculars.

Wish you the best of luck :smiley:

What major did you apply to? What major were they accepted to?

Computer Engineer (1st Choice) & Economics (2nd Choice) & I have no idea what they applied for.

Approximately when will the university tell you you have been accepted?

Just about an hour and a half ago, I received this:

"Howdy,

Thank you for your interest in Texas A&M University. You are still being considered for admission and for placement in the College of Engineering; however, your decision is being deferred to mid-January. Rest assured, all of your credentials have been thoroughly reviewed and no additional supporting documents are necessary. Thank you for your patience. Please continue to monitor your status on the Applicant Information System."

Your scores seem low.

Agree with @cosmonewman; you applied to the COE, which is usually very competitive and I don’t think your ACT of 22 would be competitive for that major.

My daughter was under review and just got notified she was accepted and she has an ACT score of 32.

Not impossible , but pretty dang hard to get into A&M with a 22 ACT, not to mention COE.

If I were to chance you, I’d say your odds are slim.

I got into Mech E in early November, about 2 weeks after I applied, but I am number 1 in my class with 38 dual credit hours, 32 ACT and above average ECs.

About 17% of A&M students have a 23 or below, but most of those were likely in the top 10% or athletes.

I think that you have a shot. I know people who made lower scores but still got in due to rank and extracurriculars. Also Service hours help!

Could I ask about myself?
I too made a 22 on my ACT, am 8 people out of top 10, but I’ve been accepted into their dance program.
I’m in as many extracurriculars as I can be. My dancing takes up 20-24 hours a week, so I’m limited, but I am in choir and NHS. I have a total of 60 Service hours as well. In the summers I dance around 50-80 hours a week.
Does this help me stand out? Will this help me be accepted?

That sounds like a lot … Definitely a better candidate than me! Haha

• Update * I've been accepted to Engineering at Galveston! I will be going to A&M's Galveston campus for a year and the back to the College Station one for the remaining years .

CONGRATS!! Still waiting on mine, prayers appreciated!

@ElGuey When did you apply?

Thanks !! Wishing you the best of luck!! @Bree98 & I completed my application around mid October @antdujanovic